bitdefender free??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phatkid, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatkid

phatkid Registered Member

on the website, the free download v7.....is this a trial period or free like AVG??

if so how does it compare? cause i really like the online free scan

cory

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Cory, ;)

Yes the Free Version is Free ;) .... the only major difference between the free and paid versions is the free version doesn't provide any resident protection, it only operates as an on demand scanner - which would make a very nice backup for your resident AV.

HTH,

Steve

3. phatkid

phatkid Registered Member

so its basically the same as the scan online one, only without the hassle of going to the website....

thanks

cory

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I am pretty sure you can only use it for a year however.

5. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

This is not indicated on my Free 7.2 version - why do you say that?

6. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

This is true, it will only work for a year. If you search here at Wilders you will find a thread about it.

7. waters

waters Registered Member

lOOK in about .
    it will tell you when it expires.

8. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

Correct! - presumably it is possible to renew after a year.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think not unless you manage to reinstall your OS or remove the registry key which holds the expiry date (which I dont know)....:doubt:

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Unless I'm missing something here, the Bitdefender online scan is version 8, same as the paid for version, but the free on demand scanner is version 7 (ie the old version which is not as good); this latter will only be supported for a certain period of time before it becomes redundant. Therefore it is not correct to say that the free scanner is the same as the Bitdefender online scan.

Who knows, maybe when 7 is no longer supported the free version will be 8 and the paid version 9?

11. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I like BitDefender but I believe that an anitvirus that have no resident protection (BitDefender FREE Edition) isn't an antivirus.

12. sam42

sam42 Guest

just downloaded bitdefender free works wel with McAfee and Avg, so i think i might add it to my collection!!!

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have used BD free until it expired and just uninstalled it and downloaded a new copy of the free one and it worked just fine.

14. yodafan

yodafan Guest

they probably have a new free version in a yr, who knows, ne ways i think there no need to install BD free when u can run their online scan, does the same job...Better off like having avg(if u can only afford free) or something else, that doesn't have a free online scan and use the online scans ask ur secondary backup scanners where they will take hardly ne room on ur computer HD to run them online scans. Another reason for online scanners is if ur AV ever gets corrupted/disabled where u don't know about it... go here and u find a bunch of online free scanners http://www.security-ops.eu.tt/ so yeah...even can switch around AVs if u scan ur computer each week lol like a jotti scan, can probably get a higher precentage of detection but never 100%, like some say don't put all ur eggs in one basket..they don't all have removals but that is the second step, what u cannot find u cannot remove =P.. hope this helps .

15. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

could i use bitdefender free with kaspersky antivirus 5.0.372(with realtimeprotection on)o_O?

do u think bitdefender free will find anything extrao_O

any conflictso_O?

16. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

can anyone pls help meo_O :D :D

17. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Bit defender free since it doesn't have a realtime scanner should run just fine with Kav I have run BD free with just about every av I can think of. But I am not sure of Kav. I really believe though that I have run Kav and BD together.

18. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You should not see any problems, but there is only one way to find out. ;) :D

19. yodafan

yodafan Guest

have never used them both, but just don't run them at the same time... i've used kav and BD online, and found something that kav never picked up... it is possible. Ne ways think someone said above that BD online uses a newer engine than the free. Just turn off ur real protection before u scan with BD.

20. StU

StU Registered Member

Yes, because BitDefender Free has no on-access scanner.
    I know a few people who run this combination on their machines and they never had any problems.
    I think BitDefender will not find very often something that KAV missed. But in a few cases it will. ;)

Neither BitDefender 8 Standard / Pro nor BitDefender 8 Online Scan uses a newer engine than BitDefender 7.2 Free.
    They all use engine version 7.0x.
    What's new in BD Online Scanner version 8, you can find out here .

21. patermann

patermann Registered Member

When I installed BD Free it added 4 or 5 entries to my startup list which I thought was strange as there is no on-access scanning. I did not want all these processes running for a scanner that would only be used occasionally so I disabled the startup entries. I then found that BD Free would not run without them so I have now uninstalled it again.

Note: As I am running Win98SE on an old 450MHz AMD K6-3 machine, I am somewhat concerned about unnecessary processes running on my machine (resources are a BIG problem in 98SE). There are other free scanners such as Dr Web CureIT which do not require running background processes so I decided BD Free was not for me.

However, you may not have the same constraints that I have and, as it is free, you can just try it and see - it will not cost you anything other than a little of your time!

HTH

patermann

22. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

If you have adequate RAM and a reasonably fast CPU, along with Windows XP, your system can easily handle the addition of something like BitDefender Free Edition. WinXP handles multiple processes much better than Win98 does. NT-based systems do not have the resource limitations of 9X-based systems. I see comments all the time about "this or that software adds three extra processes therefore I will not run it on my box", but really that is misleading if you have a newer system with an NT-kernel O.S. like Windows XP -- XP can handle that easily with no noticeable performance hit -- especially if you're talking about adding an AV without a realtime monitor. Now, the realtime monitor {RTM} may cause a noticeable performance hit as it scans everything in realtime, but that has nothing to do with XP's management of multiple processes: XP easily handles multiple processes and has very good memory and resource management .. IMHO .. hope that helps. ;)

23. nice :)

nice :) Guest

thank you all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.