BitDefender Free V8 expired ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Old Monk, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

For some time now I've used BD V8 as a free on demand AV. Just gone to do an update and it tells me this version has expired :eek:

Their site still looks like V8 is available. Are they bringing V9 out as the free version perhaps ?

Anyone experiencing similar with V8 ?

Thanks

2. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

I used it earlier today with no problems. It updated the virus definitions with no problems at all...

3. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Hi Old Monk,

I may be wrong but I think the Bitdefender 8 free version can only be used free for 1 year, have you used it for more than a year?

Regards,
    Londonbeat

4. Old Monk

Hi

Mmmm - I'm sure I had but I've just tried on another machine to test (subsequently uninstalled :) and it says it expires Jan 2008. Dont recall this restriction on my original install. Maybe they've just introduced this 1 year free licence - don't know o_O

Tried a new d/load on machine in question and goes through the install only to say 'this version has expired'

Genuinely thought BD 8 was a lifetime freebie. Not to worry though, I can live without it - just a bit odd.

5. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

I talked to their online support; they indicated the license is for 1 year but you can request a new key. Maybe go to their online support and ask for a new keyo_O I'm looking to use Bitdefender 8 free as a backup scanner. If they give you a new key, it's a done deal!

6. Old Monk

Hi Drew

Interesting. How long you been running V8 ? Is the 1 year licence something new ?

7. Drew99GT

Actually I haven't used it at all, I'm thinking of using it as a backup to Antivir for A/V scanning. After reading this thread, I was a bit concerned, so I went to the online support.

They also indicated that BD 8 free version scans for rootkits and spyware like the newest paid versions.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

but there has to be some drawback because its version 8.

why not try dr.web's cure it, latest version of dr.web, latest updates, no installation, perfect for any 2nd opinion.

Download

why?

9. Drew99GT

Cause Dr. Web sucks!!! :eek:

10. Drew99GT

I'm sorry, I'm just jokin. After looking at it, I may actually try it out! Is it on demand only?

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well yeah, you have to pay for mail scanning and real-time protection.

the cure it is just the on demand, but its free and no installation needed, has to be worth a try if your looking for a 2nd opinion on demand scanner.

but give BD a try too, they are cool too, but im not quite sure version 8 would scan for everything that version 10 does.

12. Drew99GT

Hey CSJ, is there a way to set Cure It to always place detections in the quarantine rather than curing cureable infections and placing none cureable files in the quarantine?

I've had previous operating systems just totally wrecked from antivirus products deleting or trying to fix things that were false positives or where the product simply messed up, and having the files in the quarantine ready to be restored if things get screwy is a major bonus. Thanks

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i'll send a pm, or get told off for going too much OT.

:D

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

BitDefender Free edition 8 is based on a license system; this is done in order to migrate customers to the paid version. The Free edition can be regarded as a "trial" for the paid version. Most reports are that the free edition can only be used for 1 year and an extra license key may be granted once more but once this extra key expires, you must purchase the paid version.

Version 8 does not scan for spyware or rootkits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.