BitDefender free Edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by c0ltran3, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

I'm interested in BitDefender Free Edition as backup. Are there any differences about viruses detection between the free edition and the standard one? It seems to me there is no heuristic mode in the free edition. Is it true? If yes, what are the effects ?
    Did you test the two different versions ?
    Thanks

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I don't know about the free edition but if you are concerned about BDs heuristic don't be. BDs heuristic isn't that good so you won't be missing much...

tECHNODROME

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

BD is a good back up AV. I use it as a back up to McAfee and I'm happy with it.

4. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To cOltran3 from Firefighter!

The last big test against heuristics that I know was Heureka 2 March-2002 made by AGN VTC. According the test summary:

http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc/index.htm

"In comparing products, some behave "rather well". Over two 3-months periods, the following products behaves best (although they also need significant improvement):

DRW and FSE

Moreover, the following products behave best in the first 3-month period:

DRW, FSE, SCN and AVX, INO.

But as some testbeds were rather small, and as the loss in script viruses detection quality was so dominant, we decided NOT to grade any product in VTCs grading scheme. We nevertheless hope that AV companies do their best to improve the generic and heuristic detection mechanisms. And we strongly advise customers, to upgrade their products and signatures as often as possible."

AVX is nowadays BitDefender as I remember right, so BDF is not so bad either if that has anything left from those days.

By the way, BDF 7.1 Free has heuristics option to decide in it.

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

c0ltran3,

I just installed Bitdefender free as a backup on one of my machines. Too soon for me to decide how good it is, but so far I like the speed and simplicity.

I am happy to note that Bitdefender has passed the latest VB100 tests.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=20995

Regards
    Optigrab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.