BitDefender Free Edition 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by John Bull, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Not sure this is the right Forum section, but here goes.

I installed this program on 30 Jan.10 and I rather like it as an ad-lib manual sweeper.

My understanding was that being a freebie the license period would be unlimited like every other freebie I have ever had. But OH NO ! I get a 26 day limit stuck on my panel, shown in Picasso style by a lovely green bar that reduces one notch each day.
    Today - the 7th Feb. it is showing 17 days left.

I have sent repeated online Email`s to BD with a 48 hour reply promise and raised the matter on their Forum. Not a word has been heard from anybody, suppliers or users alike. I would get more response from a brick wall.

Under such adrenaline pumping strain watching this green fuse get smaller each day, I feel my nerves will break. My temper broke days ago and I hope the recipients of my extremely colourful wrath felt it.

PLEASE - has anybody on the Forum used BD Free and gone through the magic 26 days period ? If so, what happens next ?

Does a Genie pop up and say "Master - your every wish is my command" or does it simply go BANG ?

Many thanks
    John Bull

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. John Bull

Hi Cudni in Somethingshire.
    Is`nt Gordon Brown your constituency MP ? If so, do keep that string of garlic to hand or a silver bullet in your gun. He may come knocking on your door at Election time.

Tried your link and YES I did get it there. And YES I had to register to activate my account.

Your comment although brief gives me the notion that you know something I don`t.
    How do we play it now Coach ?

Do I wait until the Genie pops up or it goes BANG ? Or do I dump the infernal lot and start all over again ?

Cudni my friend - YOUR wish is MY command. I am on standby awaiting your orders.
    Thanks
    John Bull

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

He might only have Somethingshire to command after election but that is another story or will be.
    Alas, my advice steams only from obtaining software in similar manner so based on that; did you receive a confirmation email that your account has been activated and did you receive further instruction on how to proceed next. As in been given a license code or key. If you didn't receive an email can check spam folder for it?

5. John Bull

6. Get

Get Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  7. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

8. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

BD 2008 doesn't have a free counterpart.

BitDefender has offered 3 on-demand scanner for free: BD 8, BD 10 and BD 12 (which is BD 2009). Every two years a new free version will be released, so the next one should be BD 14 (2011).

Despite being free, the program still requires registration (as does avast!), the license will be valid for 1 year or so.

You can always find the latest free version of BitDefender here:

Code:
    http://content-down.bitdefender.com/windows/desktop/free/final/en/

9. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Thanks for clarifying. So BD v10 is BD 2007 then?

10. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

I guess so.

Before 2008:
    Code:
    product name + build
    Since 2008:
    Code:
    product name + the year it is made

11. John Bull

I cannot express enough my thanks to all these posters. It is so gratifying.

From what I read in all these comments, BD is a completely misleading company and incredibly rude and ignorant for completely ignoring customers Emails and Forum posts.

Your description of the pile of junk that BD call FREE, where A = B and X = Y and BD = GET LOST, is the greatest piece of professional stupidity I have ever experienced. I cannot believe that a company who masquerade under respectability are allowed to get away with such a deceitful shambles.

All your comments whilst being greatly appreciated also assure me that WILDERS is a very helpful Forum and again I thank you all.

NOW ! John Bull`s answer to BD :-
    You would not print my real answer, but the more streetwise members will easily guess what it is. It sure `aint nice.

Practical answer :- They can stuff their license garble and 26 days period in a place more appropriate to their behaviour than my PC screen.

I will screw and grind every single contaminating record of BD out of my computer immediately and consign the very name of BD to the trash bin where it deserves to be. The company is a disgrace.

Thank you all
    John Bull

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/johnbull17/Bulldog.jpg

12. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Bitdefender is not that bad, it's got good detection rates, but its buggy. The Bitdefender Engine is very good. It is the engine used in F-Secure, and G-Data security software. I would use Bitdefender if they added real time protection to their free edition :p

13. progress

progress Guest

... but Bitdefender Internet Security is rubbish - and you won't even get an answer at Bitdefender forums :gack:

14. John Bull

Hello Ance, well spoken and every word a classic. You won`t get an answer from their online Email system either. You`ll get a 48 hour reply promise, but that is made by a Dr.Who Dalek that is not programmed to go any further.

BUT WAIT ! An Angel has appeared out of the swirling mists of ectoplasm from Dracula-land with promises of help from the Count himself. Having already ditched the infernal BD, this prospect of divine intervention is worth a shot, so I have PM`d her on the BD Forum.

Now, I must sit and wait with baited breath, playing with my Ouija board in great expectation.

John Bull

15. John Bull

Problem solved. The BD Forum technical expert cured it.
    I have`nt a clue how, whether it was my fault in some way or the BD system, but it is all over. I now have 380 days instead of 26 days and the program works perfectly.

I am not the only one this problem has hit, many more users have complained about the same issue on the BD Forum.

Excuse the RED, but I wished to emphasise the end of this thread and again wish to gratefully thank all those who responded. The comments given were certainly not wasted.

All readers with BD in mind please note that I never received any reply to my 4 BD online Emails. I have to thank a BD support member by sheer coincidence reading my Forum post.

John Bull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.