BitDefender free 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RadicalEdward, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RadicalEdward

RadicalEdward Registered Member

So I downloaded it a couple months ago, and the license expired a couple days ago! I figured it would give me an opportunity to re-register like avast! does, but no, I have to contact their online support to "speak" with a service tech. I say speak cause it told me I was talking to someone named AI and the picture they provided did not have a short dude in a sixers uniform. Anways I get another key, and it turns out it's only good for 2 more months :mad: ! Now I'm a security nut, and I like using this as another back up scanner, but to keep renewing a two month license is quite annoying. It's supposed to be free, if they at least want to keep track of whose using their product make it longer like avast does. Antivir or avira whatever they are now is doing the same thing, except the license hasn't expired yet, so I don't have to try to get another key. Is anyone else using bdf8 now, and encountering anything similar to this? Does anyone else think that this is stupid? I am considering scrapping it if they are going to make me renew it ever two months....

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It should be for one year. I have BD 8 free on my 98SE box and it expires in December. It has current updates and I installed it early this year I think so December is about right. Maybe their policy has changed since I got it. But I used BD free version 7 for a year and then version 8 for a year on my XP box and then was told I had to buy it...but that was ok...I had two free years of the on demand scanner on the XP box and have a year now on the 98 box.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The person you were talking to, his name looks like 'AI', but his name is Al (as in Albert). And he has a picture too, quite a young guy. :D

I would suggest that you contact Live support again and tell them of the situation, and ask them why the key only lasts for two months. They will fix it if they think it is a problem, though they may require you to email their sales team. :)

4. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I had a very strange problem with the free BD 8. After one month, the free version rolled back its own installation and unistalled itself! When I looked at my program events logger, I thought that i was seeing things. I should imagine, either BD 8 Free stays a while or else takes off by itself.

Dave

5. StU

StU Registered Member

@RadicalEdward:
    Maybe this might help you too.

6. RadicalEdward

Stu,
    I never had a problem uninstalling/re-installing it, it's just the shortness of a two month license that frustrates me. I believe AnitVir/Avira whatever it is now goes till the end of august, which is still longer than bdf8 lasted. It says "free." avast gives explicate instructions on how to maintain perpetual use of its free program. I like Bitdefender, it has a good scanner. I suppose this is what I have to go through if I still want to use the "free" version...

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Actually, In fact I have a license of BitDefender 9 Professional and had a problem in which the product's expiry date was sooner than the date it should expire. I contacted BitDefender support about it, and a few days later, after updating BitDefender my license was automatically extended, and also I received another license key via email which gave me an additional 30 days of usage.

So I would suggest that you contact live support again, tell them how the other free scanners have better registration mechanisms and express your frustration a bit. Then they will listen, and do what is needed. :)

8. RadicalEdward

I'll have to try that....

Since I'm dumb, I can't locate an email contact on their website, so I assume it's just support(at)bitdefender.com ?

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yep, that's the address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.