BitDefender Feedback.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EsoxLucius, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

Hello guys,

After the launch of BitDefender v.2008 family we would like to know what are the things that bother you about our current product and all those other things that you would like to see in our products.

So we have prepared for you 3 questions:

1. State the issues that are currently bothering you in the v.2008 family. Feedback and a list of features that you would like to see in the future versions would be great.
    Also we would like to know if some of you geeky users had any problems with BitDefender products installed on your less techy friends or family computers.

2. What types of problems have you had (if you had any) when in different chat instances (instant messengers, irc etc.)? Also did you heard of any problems from friends or family related to the this issue?

3. What is your main location for storing your pictures, movies (general media files, including audio files). Are you using your internal HDD, an external HDD or even an online back-up solution?

Thank you! :D

2. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

1. I would still prefer a version of AV +, i.e. AV, AS and FW. Some small problems like every time I boot up Windows tells me BD AV is switched off, this lasts for about 20 seconds. Happens on both of my machines and have reported it but have not yet been able to run the program support sent.

2. Nil

3. HDD and DVD. If you were to provide free space as part of the package that would be very useful.

Regards.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What is your position at BD?

4. viking313

viking313 Registered Member

Hi..I've been using BDAV 2008 for about 3 weeks with no problems or slow downs on my system.I like the game mode as I play UT 2004 and like the way it works to keep from bothering me during game play.I have no issues with this function.
    The only small problem that I have is that I can't change the interface color to blue like in ver 10...not really a problem I just liked the blue better...LOL...BDAV 2008 has been rock solid on my machine.:D

5. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

I'm a person that keeps in touch with you :p, but there also product managers and people from developement team that are watching these topics or other forums related to security.

It's our way to say hello to the passionate users. ;)

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

all my concerns i have posted on your forum, quite a few but hope it helps :)

to answer your additional question, i use my internal HD, nothing else.

7. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Don't know if it's my system, but sometimes the updater would just stall. :doubt:
    Rebooting helps in this case or sometimes just exiting and restarting.

Another minor point is the statistics about email.
    When mail comes in and you open the console it just shows zero mails, although the pop-up appears when there's incoming or outgoing mail.
    However if you open the statistics and check mail you'll see the real count.
    There's no point having statistics when you can only access those when opening that window. :rolleyes:
    For the rest it runs great, apart from the update problem which comes and goes. :D
    Another partition on my HD and regularly all is copied to an external HD. :)

8. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I see a Norton-360-like product in BitDefender's future :)

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i hope they do....

backup seems pointless to me, unless it is a secure online storage like norton 360 has.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I tried BD 2008 & liked it a lot EXCEPT for the updater. I prefer to update manually. BD allows that. However, I found the updater *uninformative* while it was (I assume) trying to connect. At such times, I simply had a bare minimum update screen to look at, with 2 thermometers doing absolutely nothing, & NO messages as to what (if anything) was going on. I finally had a couple of successful updates, but the other, unsuccessful update trials (with do-nothing update screens) were a complete deal breaker.

For "good updaters" (that keep the user well informed), I commend the BD proponents to take a look at Avira's & DrWeb's. (As to Avira's well-known update problems -- I can accept that a popular AV will sometimes have a busy update server, but I CANNOT abide a do-nothing update screen when servers are busy. For heaven's sakes, let the user know what is going on when delays ensue.)

11. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

IMO this is true. And according to this I update manually opening advanced settings. Also the main window is totally Useless!! Better have only Advanced setting window opened. Also I prefere the old systray menu: much more useful!

New AV exceptions windows is very nice and clear!
    Also I would have more email scan settings, like: sign as clean outgoing mails, splash scanning email window settings ...

Best Regards.
    Mike

12. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

My concern with BD (I tried the new free edition) is that quarantined files were allowed to make outbound connection attempts. I posted more details of this in the BD forum. But have yet to hear if this has been able to be repeated in tests. It happened when I disabled the running processes.

13. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Hi EsoxLucius

I tested this BD version as well. I tested both TC as IS.

1. I have two main concerns. First of all when BD firewall is making a decision for me it shows on screen what decision was made. But it doesn't show with one pop up. No I receive two to four pop ups about it. All at the same time. Secondly I have a site where I know are a lot of really bad malware. BD does detect these but doesn't do anything about it. I can download and execute them, although they are really bad. When downloaded and saved I can scan and BD does detect. But it tells me that I have no choice but to ignore

2. Non here

3. Both internal HDD as well as external HDD

14. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I now have Bitdefender IS 2008 on 2 computers running Vista.

I like the program a lot.

Only problems I have run in is

The antispam tool bar on Windows Mail can seem to take 30 seconds or more to appear, (On my wifes laptop occasionally it does not appear at all)

Apart from that great product and I like very much.

Thanks

Jlo

15. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

Just found another issue.

Under Windows Vista premiam Home edition and using internet explorer the phishing tool bar does not appear.

If you click on tools and then toolbars you can place a tick next to the bitdefender toolbar and it now appears but is greyed out.

When you click on settings a mesage says 'Bitdefender service is unavailable'

I have raised a support ticket about this.

Thanks

jlo

16. Rdmart

Rdmart Registered Member

I recently installed Bitdefender IS 2008 on 2 computers. Running Great! :) No problems so far. I might have missed it but would be nice if you could select a custom install. ( I know you can disable features in the program).

Would also be nice if you could access the advanced settings from the system tray.

Thanks,
    Ron

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  17. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Right click the tray and you can select Advanced Settings from there :)

Kin

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

this was the first bug i posted to bitdefender, its very annoying for me aswell.

19. Rdmart

Rdmart Registered Member

Sorry. What I meant to say was start a scan from the tray. But now that you mention it I never even noticed that.:oops: I have been using the main Window to access Advanced Settings. Thanks for pointing that out to me. :D

Ron

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

One off-topic post split out of this thread and placed into a thread of it's own here.

For those that have questions about BitDefender or how the program works....do start your own thread or join another with similar issues Please. Let's attempt to stay somewhat on topic to what the thread starter intended...."BitDefender Feedback" of the "v.2008 family".

Thanks,
    Bubba

21. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I've been having my fair share of issues with BD2008 (Internet Security), mostly related to extremely slow uploading and downloading during specific instances. More specifically, I have some serious trouble sending files via Yahoo Messenger to my contacts (the transfer just seems to stop after a certain amount of progress). Certain downloads from the Internet take a very long time to commence. And thats about it - very irritating issues nonetheless!

22. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

I use it, well used to but moved to Panda, yes Panda.

Panda 2008 FTW!

Bitdefender is a little too interfering for my liking, needs alot of user stuff.

23. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

Not sure if "BitDefender 10 Free Edition" is part of the 2008 line, anyway here are my 2 cents:

1. It seems odd for an on-demand AV to have 4 services running: update service, communicator, scan server, and virus shield.

2. I had an issue with one of the above mentioned components: a conflict between BD scan server and Comodo's Memory Guardian (Beta version). According to CMG, BD scan server is causing some sort of buffer overflow. The problem is reported at Comodo forums here:
    http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_mem...5_bug_reports-t11996.0.html;msg87915#msg87915
    IMHO, this issue (if verified) could cause quite a stir, so I'll stop here until it is addressed by both sides.

24. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi EsoLucius:

This information is posted elsewhere as well, but you may have missed it.
    To ensure it is seen OT for your post I have repeated it here inside your OP and added a few extra feedback ideas for your product.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  25. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I bother about the heuristic. If I put a string of a antivirus product into one application BitDefender screams in case it is packed. I tested most antiviruses but only bit defender behaves like that. Not each application is a danger if it has antivirus strings in it. Harmless start and stop tools are claimed as malware, I really don´t like that. Beside if it remains unpacked your heuristic is bypassed. Just for info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.