Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like this this AV, but I really don't find it that light are all. Task manager also proves the program uses plenty of RAM and CPU.

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

i use it on an intel atom 1.8GHz single core system with 2gb ram running windows 7 32bit & it is running very light.there is something on your system which is making it heavy.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I doubt it. What is your peak memory use? I bet it is over 200meg. What about your CPU time. On my machine is is always second highest, right behind the idle process. And I always disable autoscan.

4. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Bdav free is using 200mego_O?

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Does it really matter how much RAM something uses? Don't we all have plenty of RAM? The only thing that really matters is cpu. On my laptop, it uses almost nothing, even during scans..

6. ZeroDay

I'm using Kis full suite and it's only using 100mb so yes 200mb for a free basic av is too much.

7. rinem

rinem Registered Member

Too much slowdown on booting. Also browsing is slow indeed specially when you load a browser with many tabs open.

8. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That's an assumption, we all don't have plenty of RAM. For example, I have and still use an aging XP desktop with a RAM limit of 1Gb. I am sure I am not the only one limited in this way. Or, perhaps there are users whose financial constraints preclude buying/upgrading RAM. One of the claims being thrown around with this AV is "No impact means not even a second of sluggishness. Not on modern, nor on older PCs."

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

For me the peak is over 200meg. Though it usually settles down to about 25-55meg most of the time.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Of course it matters, and CPU is not the only thing that matters, I/O usage is just as important IMO.
    No ;)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2232335&postcount=176

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you have 4 gigs of RAM, then what difference does it make? I guess that's my point. It doesn't necessarily say anything about their programming skills or efficiency, maybe BD is doing a heck of a lot more than the others.

I'm not defending it, I don't really care either way, but it always amazes me when people get excited over RAM usage in the days of 4-8 gig setups or more. Lol...

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, if you're on a 1 gig XP setup, then sure, I agree, 200MB is probably way too much.

As for it's impact, I don't see any impact (except a bit on browsing) on my 3 year old Asus laptop. Where to be honest, I have seen a lot of impact with some other AVs I won't mention here... So to me, yes, it's fairly light.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

To me RAM usage does not matter one bit. I have 4 gigs, and never ever even get close to using that. So, no, I don't care.

I/O can matter, especially on slower HDs. Cpu matters too, yes...

If people try BD Free, and it's "heavy" on their systems, then I'd suggest they don't use it, and try something else. But for many, it seems fine, at least for me so far...

As AVs go, compared to many others, I would not call BD Free "heavy".. Just my 2 cents.. :)

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

And I would not call it light either. Maybe average.

15. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I have 1.0.15.946 on my PC at work.
    When I click on Auto Scan I get another screen where a big button is labeled "Full Scan".
    When I click on this one, nothing happens.
    o_O

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

So you would't care if it used 500MB of RAM? Course you would :D

What I am saying is if an AV uses 200MB and being heavy :thumbd:
    If an AV is using 200MB and being light :thumb: (might be because everything is loaded into the RAM wich isn't a bad thing) but afaik that's not the case with BD.

17. ZeroDay

I honestly think that 200mb for a free basic av is way too much. Just out of interest does anyone know how much Bitdefender internet security uses?

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Another point which I should have mentioned earlier is that you can't tell how much RAM an app is really using by looking in Task Manager. Some vendors try all kinds of tricks to hide it and make things look light in Task Manager when in reality the app is using all kinds of RAM, but it's hidden from view, in kernel memory for example. I don't know all the tech details, but I do know you can't tell anything looking at Task Manager. Most likely, almost all products are using way more RAM than any of you think.

19. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

In my view, I really don't care whether an AV uses 200MB, 400MB or 1GB (:D) as long as it runs light overall on my systems and it is a well programmed app which sadly it's not the case of the way buggy Bitdefender products, in my humble opinion.

20. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

BDAV Free is most definitely not heavy.

21. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

The program is telling you it is running a full scan. You cannot manually run full scans in the program.

22. aztony

aztony Registered Member

This AV sounds really user friendly.

23. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Yeah automatically run quick scan 2 or 3 days which take a minute or two and automatically run full scan every week or two.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It is if, as a user, you don't want to be bothered. On the other hand, if you're looking for all kinds of config options, it's not. Depends what you want... :)

25. guest

guest Guest

I know it's their philosophy to make a user friendly and minimalistic AV, but isn't this a bit too far. Full automation could be dangerous. :doubt:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.