Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well which av does not have any false positives.?

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Closest to the ideal no-FP AV would be MSE, right?

3. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

No, it wouldn't. It would simply give a little more control to advanced users. Newbies can enjoy the automation either way.

No, I don't think YOU understand that you can have SILENT SECURITY by default even if you include some interactivity.

I don't know why you guys are against this. If you like BD AV free automation won't change even if you add an interactive option.
    Hell, they could at least include a Restore link in the detection alert.

4. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

I just noticed right now that I can't open the 'LOGS' box. Had no problem yesterday.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

AVusah,

Why don't you talk to the devs directly and make your requests known... You can either post on their forum, or PM them here or there, or email them. All they can do is say no, right? Nothing lost... ;)

PS - By the way, yes, putting any kind of user interactive prompts into it would indeed deviate from their design goals, even if they are optional.

6. spywar

spywar Registered Member

As said, above MSE.

7. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Oh, so should Microsoft remove Command Prompt and stop adding any new advanced features so as not to deviate from their goal of making Windows easy to use?
    Don't be ridiculous.

8. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

It's working now. I had to log off then log back onto my account.

9. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

As stated above I think you would be better putting in your requests straight to the BD team.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You don't seem to understand their design goals and philosophy on this project. I don't know what else I can add or explain, if you don't get it.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

If he want to use a Bitdefender product then maybe BDAV Plus is something to consider since it includes more options that one can "tweak" I think :doubt:

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, that's probably the way to go...

13. cammy85

cammy85 Registered Member

Hi there!! :) Perhaps someone can help me? Ever since I installed this I can't access the following in Winamp:

-http://highstream.starfm.ca:8000/listen.pls-

Disabling the realtime protection will allow it to work but I don't want to have to do that each time. Can this be looked at? Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2013
  14. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Does anyone know how to get rid of the cleanup section? BD Free cleaned up previous threats about 3 months ago but I still get the cleanup section.

thx
    Ice

15. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I've got a bug now. I click Logs and the button highlights, but the Logs screen doesn't appear.

16. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I stopped using BDAV Free again one day after installing this new version. My problem now is slooooow bootup times. So, back again to the waiting room...

17. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Typo :)
    Untitled.png
    Should be "battery" instead of "batterry". ;)

18. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

Had that same bug.
    Login out and again in from Windows solved it for me.
    At the moment I don't have that problem any more.

19. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

*Sigh*
    Let's take Mac OS X as an example. It's designed to be easy to use for everybody. Yet it includes advanced functions that can be accessed through the Terminal app (the equivalent of Command Prompt). Does the inclusion of these advanced functions go against the design goals? No. What's so hard to understand about that?

Except BDAV Plus absolutely sucks. It's extremely buggy and slow on my machine.
    I don't want any tweaks other than a simple interactive alert.

And I'm posting this here because I know they are watching this forum.

20. anon

anon Registered Member

And they* are trying to fulfill what the majority says and needs (ie. the restore option).
    =

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Folks, you can never have a set and forget solution, especially not with antimalware applications, unless someone magically solves the false positive issues once and for all.

Can anyone do that? Even Microsoft cannot do it, even though they do make a great job minimizing the risks of false positives. In the real world, I recall MSE detecting and in some cases (depending on its settings) deleting Google Chrome, due to a false positive.

If you really want a 99% set and forget, then do yourself (BitDefender folks) a favor and instead of a releasing a prevention (detect and delete/quarantine) tool, relase a detection (detect and alert (by email)) tool. You can't get more silent than this.

In fact, it would be great to have such functionality (not on its own), to have it scanning/detecting, and send a report via e-mail address. ;) For sure this would be way more helpful than relatives calling me. :D

Anyway, if Quarantine was implemented to offer basic functionality, but that still requires the user to restore something that probably shouldn't have been removed, wouldn't it make sense to offer the option only to alert (prompt and other means (e-mail))? It would make sense to me.

You have long sailed away from the "set and forget" (what a dream) ship, anyway. :D

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you guys on this, I wouldn't mind a prompt either. All I'm saying is, they have stated flat out several times what their project design philosophy is, and that they're trying to stick to it pretty strictly. So, we can all argue endlessly about what *should* be, but if that's not what they want to do in this project, then it probably won't happen.

23. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Well, we successfully pushed them into implementing a quarantine function, even though they were reluctant at first. The prompt thing might be worth a shot, at least if people don't give up before even trying.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I feel it's fine as is, now that they added the quarantine restore. But, I don't think it would hurt to have a prompt either, especially if they could make it an option which, as you mentioned, could be off by default.

I don't know if posting publicly is the best way to influence them though. I'd try a private PM if you really want to push it. I have done that earlier and found them to be fairly responsive. I even had some communications going with the devs at BD via email a few months ago.. They are pretty good about responding.

25. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

How much is the first update?
    does it start from beginning if I reboot my system?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.