Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Re: Bitdefender Antivirus Free

It may take up more memory than I would like it to, But, compared to other security products I've used...it runs pretty good. I like it simply for it's stellar protection against threats, for having a pretty darn good URL filter, that it doesn't lug the system to a crawl and that it silently does everything without dealing with all the headaches (and trust me, I have dealt with headaches while using other security software). Overall, it's a nice change

So far, I am really enjoying every aspect of this product....I just wish future versions bring less memory consumption, I am picky like that hahaha

2. anon

anon Registered Member

======>
    ----------------

3. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

#2 is the only issue I have with it, it should be lighter than what I've seen. if the website advertises that it's super lightweight, then I'm expecting Panda Cloud or avast! Lightweight not the heavy megabyte load that I'm getting. I say if they advertise it being the lightest, they should practice what they preach.

4. anon

anon Registered Member

Thanks. :thumb:

5. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

1. I explained earlier that Gonzales (bdavfree) perform a full memory/processes scan before scanning the files/folders; unfortunately, I cannot disclose why we made it this way, but we'll try to make this behavior less intrusive..
    Still, this process scan should't take more than few minutes.. We'll look into the problem more deeply

2. Do you want more technical details, other than "gzserv starts gziface"?
    So, in the process of "dealing" with all the user's issues, we came out with the idea that, if the user sees his AV icon earlier in the boot process, he'll be more confident/confortable that he's protected
    One way (the only?) to do this was to respond to SERVICE_CONTROL_SESSIONCHANGE from service control dispacher, rather to respond to WM_SESSION_CHANGE from the gziface message's pump
    We ended to not have the need to put gziface into Startup/Registry.. that's way you don't see it there

P.S. Of course, this was just the approach from the visual perspective
    Having the "Early Boot Scan" (which is also a piece of engineering..) automatically ON, the user is protected right after the first drivers/services are started

Make this test: put an eicar.com test file as early as you can at startup; for example:
    - in Startup folder
    - in HKLM\..\Run
    - make a dummy service that drops an eicar.com ;)
    And then, see which AV blocks eicar.com..

6. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

Thank you for your response, but...

1. I don't have anymore BD Free AV to try. I've installed BitDefender Windows 8 Security on my two Win 8 computers and BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2013 on Win 7.
    I became a big fan of those two BitDefender AVs; therefore, I don't want to reinstall BD Free AV.

2. Having said that, today all over the world the users of BitDefender Windows 8 Security AV- including myself - are having BIG PROBLEMS with their computers. Please check the BitDefender forum web site.
    I needed to re-install/refresh my Windows 8; therefore, I don't really care about any running processes of BDFree AV.

7. zmechys

While I'm re-installing/refreshing Windows 8 on my new laptop due to BitDefender Windows 8 Security AV, I can only say that, yes it is very unfortunately the way BD Free AV scans just one file.
    I don't have that kind of issues with BD Antivirus or BD Windows 8.

After installing BitDefender Windows 8 Security and BD Antivirus Plus 2013, I can click on the Startup tab in System Configuration and see BD AV clearly.
    Does it mean that the PAID BD versions are not as "smart" as BD Free AV?

8. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

9. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

The same mechanism is present in Paid Editions, too..

10. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

I think "light" should refer to the AV impact in:
    - boot/shutdown time
    - user apps load time
    - copy/delete/rename files (local/network)
    - zip/unzip, rar/unrar
    - install/uninstall productivity suites
    - browse time
    - synthetic tests like WorldBench/PCMark
    - all the above when a background [auto-]scan is running :p
    - [maybe] update dimension
    - [maybe] AV interface load time/smoothness

Memory consumption could be on this list, but on top of it?!

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

IMO, the above are the most important

For PC's sold after august 2001 , memory should not be an issue, so definitely not on my list :D (netbooks will be replaced by Asus transformer like devices with android/win8 rtm OS due to excellent battery life and dual purpose usage as netbook and tablet)

12. flik

flik Registered Member

I totally agree that memory usage, especially when it is at constant levels, it's not a criterion. I think that bdfa, because it is not using the disk very much, slows down my system a little when I am surfing. The browser is being more laggish because bdfa uses my cpu according to task manager.
    Avast, avira and avg don't do that, and unfortunately I don't have very strong cpu in my laptop and the difference is noticeable.

13. zmechys

I can easily see BitDefender Agent listed on the Startup list.
    Capture.PNG

Next, I don't want you to reveal the secrets of BDFA's inner workings, but even with my amateur knowledge about AVs, the startup process of BitDefender Free AV is still unclear. Don't even wanna ask you about the AV interaction with the ELAM driver on Windows 8.

To sum up.

I think that for an average computer user BitDefender Free Antivirus is a wonderful gift and provides much better protection than Avast or Panda.
    (Avira at this moment is not compatible with Windows 8.)
    Also, as any software of 2013, BDFA is more suitable for newer computers.
    BDFA with Sandboxie, plus TDSSKiller, NPE, MBAR, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a very serious protector of your computer.
    Highly recommend it.

14. zmechys

If you are looking for a very light AV, go for KingSoft Antivirus.

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Just bumping my thread since I have not received a response.

Thanks,

Jim

16. guiman

guiman Registered Member

The problem was fixed today. It should work now.

17. guiman

guiman Registered Member

Ask away :) The Early Launch Anti-Malware technology offered by Windows 8 isn't the same thing as Early Boot Scanning technology incorporated in Gonzales (AV Free and other products and technologies). In fact it was developed before any news about Windows 8 were released.

We say ours is better and it works on all supported operating systems (Windows XP SP2 or greater) :)

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Sweet thank you!

19. zmechys

I believe you that your Early Boot Scanning technology could be better than Microsoft's ELAM, but...
    If you have Windows 8 installed - Microsoft is the King and controls everything.
    If Window 8 does not like something, it will crash your system and customers will blame BD for it, not Microsoft.
    Microsoft does not care if BD has a better solution. To my regret, with Windows 8, that's the truth.
    About BitDefender Free Antivirus.
    If BD is able to fix the scanning on-demand issue, BitDefender Free Antivirus could become a very serious contender as a number one, free of charge antivirus program. Panda, Avast, or MSE does not have good detection rates. Avira Free AV is not ready for Windows 8, plus those nagging popups.

20. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

I repeat myself: AV/IS/TS Paid Editions incorporates the same "service starts interface" mechanism, to be able to show BD icon among firsts; I assume this was the subject of "smartness" between Paid and Free versions..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  21. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Hey Iulika0069, I have had BDFree installed since day 1 on one of my test W7 x64 machines and it has been working well, however today the auto-full scan has been running for over 4hrs and killing my machine in terms of slowing it down. I let it idle for over an hour, and it is still scanning? o_O

22. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Third one maybe, first two you're wrong about.

23. guiman

guiman Registered Member

since last week we are not just W8 Compatible, but W8 Certified

24. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira at this moment is compatible with Windows 8 since Dec 11, 2012.
    =
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=150698

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  25. zmechys

I upgraded my Win 7 computer to Win8 on Jan 3, 2013, and got a message from Windows 8 that Avira is not compatible. I decided to install it anyway.
    Within one day of using Avira with Win 8, my computer crashed with the following message: "Bad_Pool_Header".
    https://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=151159

I contacted the Avira forum about it. But next day, my computer went nuts and started uninstalling Win 8 because of AVIRA. Any time time I was trying to uninstall AVIRA, it used to crash my system. Only booting in the safe mode helped. Also, it was really strange that after installing Avira's Web Protection, I was not able to save my zooming settings.
    https://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=151158

I used to use AVIRA for many years without any complaints. As soon as I started using Win 8, I developed problems with AntiVir.
    It was time for Avira to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.