bitdefender 8 free edition release

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nisby79, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nisby79

nisby79 Registered Member

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Thanks for the update!

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I was starting to think they would never update the free version. Thanks!

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Great! Thanks. I was wondering also if the free version would ever be updated.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Thats because they'll soon present the 9th series of their flagship product BitDefender...

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I just went back to 7.2. The GUI in the new version is tiny and the font is tiny. I can't read it with out straining my eyes. Plus, it is ugly.

KIS 2006 has a tiny GUI also. I am beta testing it but can't do much testing because I can't read it either without a lot of strain. Ironic that I just posted in the Kaspersky beta forum to ask why they can't make the GUI larger with larger fonts if we want and I said BitDefender's was larger but this version 8 looks just the same size as KIS 2006.

I don't know what I will do. Pick an AV on the basis of its GUI, and more important, the size of the fonts, I guess.:(

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Still have to use all that service processes to use it... :(

8. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi there

Should I uninstall Version 7 before installing V8 or can I install over V7 ?

Cheers

Jon

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

My psychic powers told me that BD 8 Free will be released shortly before BD9 commercial editions :p:D

10. World Industries

World Industries Registered Member

Good guess :) I didnt think they would come out with a new free version also.

World Industries

11. iwod

iwod Registered Member

OH! Please... could some one from BD tell us why is all these Process is needed when BD is not even an on access scanner. Even Ewido listen and they no longer need a process services inorder for Ewido to startup.

But it is free. So i cant really complain about it.............

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

That is why I don't use it... ;)

I don't like this kind of programs that need a lot of processes to run...

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

is there anything new other than the gui/interface?

14. World Industries

World Industries Registered Member

I dont see any other differences then that....

World Industries

15. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

You can turn off the services and restart them manually when you want to run an on demand scan. It's a pain, but I guess that's what you get from a free product. Agreed, it would be a lot better if you could set the two hefty services to manual and they would automatically start when the program is launched, but that doesn't work - the program simply fails to launch unless the services are started :rolleyes:

On the plus side, I did a few quick tests and scan times are relatively quick :)

Ned

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I know that, but like you said, it's very annoying... ;)

17. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Couldnt agree more with you guys...its a great product with a great bundled pain!

18. Ned Slider

Indeed :)

Personally, I think it's a shame. I've just done a quick test of scan times of various on demand scanners (ideal as backup scanners) and BitDefender quite impressed me, for a free product, other than this issue. To be honest, I've decided to keep it installed on my test machine for the time being and have just disabled the services. Next time I need to do a HD cleanup, I'll reactivate the services and see how well it performs with regards to detection rates.

Ned

19. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

Does the online version of BitDefender use the same scan engine and databtase as the downloadable free version? Thanks.

Rich

20. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I don't understand the fuss over "all these processes" o_O

What harm are they causing ? are they slowing your PC's down ? using the CPU ? spying on you or sending spam ?

@Ned Slider, I'm surprised your annoyed by the processes. I know for a fact your PC can handle those and many more, at least thats how I see it from my 'PC Perspective ;)

21. WSFuser

its just a personal preference, vampiric's quote says it all.
    secondly its not necessary for an on-demand AV to have a service since its only run when needed.

22. Ned Slider

OK, you got me ;)

The reason I think folks are a little disappointed is that there's absolutely no reason to have unnecessry services constantly running. This is a limited free product that can only do on demand scans. The services should be set to manual and should start only as and when required (by the program). It's the type of product that's only designed to be used maybe once per week, not constantly. Hence the annoyance of having these services constantly running, and they're not overly small either ;)

Ned

23. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

Services do consume memory. I am not sure how Windows XP handles memory allocation, and whether it will lock this service in main memory (as opposed to swapping it into virtual memory), but if you are short on main memory, it can affect overall system performance. So it is best, not to load anything that is not needed. It all depends upon how much main memory is available. Personally, I think loading an unnecessary service is a sign of poor program design.

Rich

24. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I also use Bitdefender 8 Free (used free 7 earlier) and I'm saddened to see that the requirement for automatic services hasn't been fixed.

Also, Even though I have the automatic update (with 3 hour interval) enabled, I have NEVER EVER gotten this thing to update automatically (several different settings, re-installs and manual removes tried).

I always have to update manually from within the console and that works perfectly ok.

Hence, I only run the bdss.exe (Bitdefender Scan Server), because it's needed to run on-demand scans. Neither bdmcon.exe (console) or xcommsvr.exe (Bitdefender communicator) are required for that.

Saves a little bit of memory, but one has to update manually.

All in all, regardless of it's good AV/AT/heuristic performance, I think this is a poor example of how an AV should be able to be configured. If it's on-demand, it should be able to be configured with no running processes.

AntiVir PE can be configure like this (no processes runnng). Also the manual update program works really well (auto-update on startup or by double-click, auto-closes itself after update, does not leave anything hanging int he memory).

I'm not sure the makers of Bitdefender understand this. I at least will not even consider buying it, until they think about fixing these features.

best regards,
    halcyon

25. WSFuser

it could be that the update problem is just part of the free version. i never experienced updating problem with bitdefender standard. secondly what are u considering not purchasing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.