Bitdefender 7 Free Edition Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I have heard good things about BD7 Free as a good on demand scanner. However after installing i have a few questions in my heard.

1. I have heard that it will not function after 1 year, then i search through the terms and condition and found nothing on it. is it true?

2. does its Automatic update work without the Mangement console loaded?

3. Another things that bothers me is that it load on 2 process in memory. And it consume up to 15 Mb Memory. Not for On Access but for an on demand Scanner. Which puzzles me. And i have try to disable the process and on demand scan would no longer works.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

1)Yes this is true and there is no solution.

2)No idea.

3)One is the Management Console, other is the ODS itself. Even KAV and eScan have two processes for On-Demand Scan, one is the GUI interface and the other is KAVSS.exe which performs the real scanning.

Therefore you need not worry.

3. iwod

iwod Registered Member

No; it loads up even when On demand scanning is not running. Even when i disable Mangement console. The 2 process still loads up.

One is bdss.exe another is communication sever.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You may find that the relevant info is stored in the Registry in a place where there is no 'mentions' - so you can't hunt it down! They don't want to make it easy for you to pull a fast one, do they!

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You could do so if you tracked the original install with Install Watch. You can set that FREE program up so that nothing -- NOTHING! -- hides from it. It is superb -- great help file plus a tutorial plus support.

By the way, I wouldn't want to install BD Free in the first place, much less re-install it. For nothing more than an on-demand scanner, the system impact it imposes is (IMHO) ludicrous.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Total Uninstall is quite good, but it evidently doesn't monitor registry categories/keys which limit the usage duration of software. Nor can I find any ability to reconfigure the registry categories that TU monitors.

The one I mentioned (Install Watch) monitors ALL registry categories/keys. It is strictly a *watcher* -- but a VERY thorough one. You use it to take a pre-install Snapshot. Then install. Then do a post-install Analyze.

By the way, using Install Watch to *watch* any given installation does not prevent using Total Uninstall to monitor that installation as well. Nor should it.

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Got Bellgamin's Uninstall after BitDefender Free was put on :( Oh well....
    Maybe that is what is eating so much RAM on my Older Compaq all a long I thought it was my AVG 7. Hmmm. :doubt:

8. Ashak011

Ashak011 Guest

Is Bitdefender Free Edition the same program as their online scanner? My McAfee resident scanner reported a virus although the main programme had been disabled which made me very uncomfortable. So I ran the online virus scanner on Bitdefender's homepage which was VERY slow, but maybe that's because it's very thorough. Problem was, although it picked up two trojans the disinfection failed which I wasn't too impressed with. I ran McAfee 8 scan after enabling it which found nothing.

What I want to know is, is the Bitdefender free edition software superior to the online scanner which, while it seems to be great at finding the problem, doesn't seem much good at doing anything about it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.