Bitcoin miner in NYC home interfered with T-Mobile network, FCC says

Discussion in 'hardware' started by itman, Feb 16, 2018.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

https://arstechnica.com/information...me-interfered-with-t-mobile-network-fcc-says/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2018
  2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

That's good! Clearly there was some manufacturing defect, physical damage, or more likely some illegal modification to this guy's device. It is common for high-speed digital electronics devices to generate EMI/RFI but it is supposed to be properly suppressed and shielded to prevent interfering with other nearby devices. If this device was emitting RFI with such a signal strength as to interrupt a major mobile network, the emissions had to be significant and that leads me to suspect an illegal modification to the device. It could have been something as simple as operating it with the case cover (which typically acts as shielding) removed for better cooling. Or it could have been some other unsanctioned modification to the design.

I say this with some experience as an Air Force radio communications technician for many years. One of my "other hats" was to drive on and around military bases in a specially equipped truck with radio direction finding equipment looking for intentional (or unintentional) radio interference and "other sources" :ninja: of unwanted RF signals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.