Bit Defender Safe Pay

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The major reason I went to BD was to have its Safepay, which I understood to be the only one that would protect my laptop when using an unsecured WiFi. I have not used the laptop except at home since then.

When using Safepay on my desktop it, Windows, crashes about 25% of the time and I have to start over doing my banking.

Anyone else having trouble with SP crashing? Otherwise BD is running well.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

Same problem as you have with SafePay.....went to KIS 2014 and no issues....BTW your question on a sep thread about KIS2014....yes, much improved....no issues for me at all...not true a few months ago....its come a long way....

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks a lot, Houley, I am thinking about going back to KIS.
    Jerry

4. Eggnog

Eggnog Registered Member

Interesting. I've used it on my Win 7 laptop a few times and haven't yet had an issue.

5. searaider

searaider Registered Member

No problems here with safepay.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I decided to go back to KIS on my desktop..
    Jerry

7. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

More useless bloat features, right?

Why not use a nice VPN for bill payment activities on unsecured WiFi? I make it a practice to use a VPN on *ANY* WiFi to be honest. I don't really see a reason for these marketing hype type of things tossed into Antivirus products, and I find them insulting - frankly.

8. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Doc, would you kindly recommend a 'nice VPN'?

9. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Like Safepay, that also runs in a secure desktop, blocks screen captures, has a safe virtual keyboard and hardened browser?

10. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

Exactly, vojta.

Really? I understand you have a VPN setup but many people do not, nor would they find that process a snap to setup. This thread is about Safepay and not about VPN's. The free version of Safepay fills a legitimate need and is not complex at all to install. Lets be careful of bashing a perfectly good product that does it's intended job so that we might sound authoritative! You, "Doctor", have in a very short time, attracted quite a bit of negative attention for doing exactly this. I apologize to the mods and other members but I have just about had enough of the bashing "Doctor". Of course this is all IMHO. :D

A word of caution. Be careful who you listen to on any forum where members dispense advice for free. There are many, many knowledgeable individuals here who don't list their feeble resumes, although many of us could, and then systematically post to just about every thread on the forum in a two month period, just after joining said forum, in a lame and misguided attempt to add gravitas to their username. A VPN can be a fine solution but the free version of SafePay is not useless bloat. Doing a search online of the best VPN's in class is a good start if you are so inclined. :thumb:

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

While his question was about safepay, I think his real concern(rightfully so) was securing his 'activities' on unsecure, or relatively unsecure public WiFi networks.

TORGuard is good, and you can install it on up to 5 devices such as Tablets, Notebooks, and Phones (iOS and/or Android). slickdeals50 coupon code gets you 50% off, which makes it a mere $29ish a year. Also no logging! (200+ servers to connect to) That will give you a good solid encrypted WiFi, locally, or on the move, and negate any security issues at those hotspots. I tend to leave TORGuard running fulltime on my smart phone. I've logged almost 11 days uptime with it at one point so it's very solid. It's painfully easy to hack/sniff/intrude on people connected to public WiFi, by the way. (that is, those not using a VPN) Since they've also demonstrated WiFi sentient viruses propagated exclusively through WiFi, it's pretty smart to use a VPN..

http://torguard.net

Torguard's privacy statement regarding government spying, and their unwillingness to cooperate at any level, with any criminal or govt organization;

“While TorGuard does have US-based representation, we are an internationally owned company with 90% of our employees and server resources based abroad. As owner/operator, I’ve pledged an oath of privacy to our client base and I intend to uphold this promise to the best of my abilities, even if it means temporarily suspending services or relocating company assets. We have backup plans for our backup plans, and travel light.”

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  12. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Hi Jerry...I tried BD's SafePay...seemed to work okay but never had any success with the Wallet feature (if memory serves me, that's what it was called). KIS's SafeMoney always functioned like it was supposed to...maybe we all will eventually end up using a vpn.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi RR,
    Yes, it is called Wallet. I does not seem to pick up some sites, but in general worked OK for me. KIS is running smoothly, and I am pleased that I switched, although I left BD on my laptop.
    Jerry

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

SafePay browser is based an on old version of Chrome/Chromium, 25.0.1364.172, and as a consequence is full of vulnerabilities and does not support TLS 1.2
    (I looked at SafePay from Bitdefender TS 17.27.0.1146).

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Brilliant! Really, so much for a safe browser. Stay away from such marketing nonsense.

16. vojta

vojta Registered Member

During the time that I had SafePay installed it received continious updates. Normally, you don't expect to get infected in your bank's page. Anyway, it includes the full Trafficlight web scanner, not just the browser extension.

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

That SafePay is updated does not mean they also updated the Chrom(e)(ium) build, perhaps only the functionality added by BD. I installed SafePay standalone just in case the one bundled with Total Security is outdated, but the standalone was also based on v25.
    You probably won't get infected on your bankpage, but what about online shopping? Most people will visit a lot more sites during such a session.
    Besides that, that it doesn't support TLS 1.2 means that you could miss out on a more secure connection if your bank supports it. TLS 1.2 is supported and enabled by default in all major browsers.
    Plus, it's just bad security practice, especially from a security vendor, to release a product that doesn't support the latest secure standards and is full of remote code execution and sandbox bypass vulnerabilities.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I always liked the idea of SafePay (When i had BD installed) but it was too slow IMO.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Are you indicating that SafePay will not protect when using unsecured WiFi?
    Jerry

20. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm saying it's yet another instance where security software leaves you insecure. I'm sure it's core job of being a proxy works just fine... it's hard to fail at doing that.

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Not sure what you said in relation to whether or not SafePay will protect when using an unsecured WiFi. I thought the answer was yes, no, or "I don't know".

Can you select one of those?:)

Jerry

22. vojta

vojta Registered Member

"yet another instance"? I don't know anyone that have suffered the problems that you and others here at Wilders describe. No security software works 100%, ok. But all that stories about security software "amplifying the attack surface" or "leaving you exposed to new vulnerabilities" are myths without real-world translation. They are only good to make people feel very smart.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

"amplifying the attack surface" or "leaving you exposed to new vulnerabilities"
    Gobbldygook!

Jerry

24. itman

itman Registered Member

Wi-Fi only supported under the paid version of BD Safe Pay.

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, that is the reason I left it on my laptop. If I do need to travel and conduct some financial transaction I like that capability.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.