Bit Defender Lifetime Subscription

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I notice that BD IS is available for a lifetime license for $79.95.
    http://www.bitdefender.com/2012/lifetime/is/?bdaffc=linkconnector|Lifetimereloaded

First time I have seen such in an AV, and especially a good one.

Jerry

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Lifetime not exceeding 5 years and valid only for the computer you first install it on. ;)

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Lifetime of what? Product? Computer? User? Companies seem to understand this in so many ways...

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Here is a clue.
    (PC Lifetime Edition keeps your PC secure throughout its lifetime)
    I assume the lifetime of the PC, but about 5 years is the life maybe.

Jerry

5. guest

guest Guest

From this page...
    hxxp://www.bitdefender.com/support/bitdefender-pc-lifetime-edition-905.html

It sounds like an OEM license. It says the entire life of the computer, so I guess it will still valid until the major components of your computer (or the whole computer) changes, in which the way the license is stored. But don't count on this post for the true fact. Why don't you ask Bitdefender instead?

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

It is my understanding that when Bitdefender first came out with their 'Lifetime Subscription', it was 'keyed' to the hardware.

I am 'guessing' that it is similar to Microsoft Windows Licensing in that hardware changes are checked at each Windows Start. If there is more than a certain number of hardware changes, then the license is deactivated.

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Unless its a life time license for my life and not the life of the computer I wont even bother.

8. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning! Clever...read the small print...marketing...Mattdocs...hit the offer right on the proverbial head. Sincerely...Securon

9. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

Correct. It's the 'lifespan' of one PC and updates for five years. You can't move the license to another PC.

Mind you, asking for a 'lifetime of my life' for £80, is a tad far-fetched. You'd expect free updates and all new versions, for the next 60 or so years? For £80?

10. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Wow, what a ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ move by BD and their marketing department. This is just blatantly misleading ad practices.

And yes, for $80, I'd expect a lifetime license especially when advertised as such. Paid $10 for a LIFETIME license to MBAM, paid what, $15 for SuperAntiSpyware (not that I'd use it anymore). Also, 60 years? Do you honestly think PCs will be around in 60 years, let alone Bitdefender as a company? Let's be realistic here.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013
  11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

But $16/yr is still cheap for BD if one likes it. I am not sure when I have kept one that long, however. I'll pass.
    Jerry

12. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

As another poster pointed out. MBAM has life time license for $15. And there arent as many free MBAM alternatives as there are free AVs. So yeah I would expect to get for $80 a lifetime license especially that there are companies giving their AV products away completely free.

You can get a lot of AVs such as Avira, Norton, EAM for less than $20. So $16 is not much of a deal especially that you cant change computers and that you are stuck with one AV engine for 5 years.

This looks more like a marketing ploy than anything else to get people into buying their AV and mistakenly believe that it is for their lifetime.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  13. entropism

entropism Registered Member

My computer was built from parts, by me. I've upgraded it quite a few times, but it started out back in 2003. Are there ANY original parts left? Not that I can recall. But at what point is it still the "same" computer? When the CPU gets upgraded? People can do that either every 2 years, or every 10. The motherboard? Up until earlier this year, I was using a CPU/Motherboard combo from 2007, and it was running strong. I know of CPUs that were put out in 2006 that will last another 2-3 years at LEAST (Qx6700, for example). Replace your CPU every 2 years and you're getting shafted. Replace every 10 years and your computer's "lifetime" ran out 5 years prior.

Maybe "lifetime" refers to the hard drive? Going by the stats released earlier this year, on what Google uses for their servers and their reliability records, it was recommended by top tech sites to replace your hard drives every 3 years. So now that 5 year license doesn't look good at all, does it? Especially when you could get Bitdefender AV for LITERALLY $5 for a 1 year license up until last month.

How many people on here wear tin foil hats and REFUSE to upgrade from XP? 12 years running the same OS. How many people on here post about an old laptop they refuse to replace, that can barely run windows and they want a solid security setup. This isn't 1997, and computers aren't being upgraded every year anymore.

Now, if one was to argue value & worth? "5" years for $80 is debatable, especially with that $5/year deal that was valid for months. But if you're going to argue shady and deceptive marketing, there it's a spot on argument. If it's a "lifetime" license, make it as such. If it's 5 years, advertise it as that. If they said "Here's a 5 year license for $80", I wouldn't have posted a thing. I would have said "wow, what a rip off" and gone to the next thread.

14. muf

muf Registered Member

I always find Purplus to give out good deals. Just got BD TS from them. I've bought a few licences for various products over the years. I like that they accept Paypal.

Currently selling BD IS 3 PC licence for $16.95.

http://www.purplus.net/inse.html

Paul

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i dont do lifetime lic's except outpost. otherwise never bought one. i would much rather do a great 1 year deal which you can find dirt cheap if you look or sometimes a 3yr deal is even cheaper.

16. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

As the great James Caan said in the movie "Thief" "I don't believe in lifetime subscriptions. Maybe they don't fit in with my retirement" $80 for let's say five years? I think you can do better, but I don't think it's terrible if you know you will have a machine for five years. Now I built my own machine 4 years ago and I just upgraded the video card and the memory. Would that void the deal somehow?

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Sounds like it is aimed at misleading people to make a buck. Does it say this in fine print or do they make sure the user understands this?

18. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have a lifetime license for Shadow Defender, Malwarebyes, Super Antispyware, and Appguard. I only regret getting the one for Super Antispyware. I have a few others that were given to me for doing some work for them, but i'm not sure they wanted me to make it known.

19. fax

fax Registered Member

It's there but indeed in fine print. ;)

20. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I see that NewEgg has:
    Free after $55 Rebate.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Not a bad offer but definitely not the best.
    The biggest problem IMO is that the license is tied to the hardware, thats insane even for someone like me that doesnt really upgrades the hardware that frequently.

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm not fan of limetime licences. For me, the lifetime of a computer is much longer than 5 years. Although, to be fair $16 per year does work out to be very cheap. However I have never used one security product for 5 years - I keep changing what I use.

One of the main reasons for this is that I want my security software to be as light as possible. If for example a new version is released which is not as light as the previous version, I won't hesitate in replacing it for something lighter.

I did actually purchase a lifetime licence for Outpost Security Suite Pro earlier in the year, when it was supposedly on special for a limited time - I say supposedly because the offer is still available. This is actually a true lifetime licence - it never expires. However, I stopped using it not long after purchasing, as at times it was slowing down my system.

For the moment I'm sticking to free antiviruses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.