BIOS Update? Yes or No

Discussion in 'hardware' started by plat1098, Feb 2, 2017.

1. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Hello, everyone. :)

I'm in a kind of grey zone with the third BIOS update offered by Lenovo for my model in less than a year. Of course, the overwhelming consensus is not to do it, particularly if there isn't any problem. In my case, though, there are problems, small but there. This version is Nomal--no security issues. The read-me doesn't provide any explanation, nor is there any I can find elsewhere--it came out a month ago. Just because there's a new BIOS version doesn't mean you have to go thru with it. But.....

Here are the following: inability to read motherboard temp in latest Speccy version (paid), USB failures on Lenovo's motherboard test, motherboard temperature reading 10 deg. C hotter than everything else's using Speccy's previous working version.

Some would flash their BIOS for just one of these issues, I guess. I did, just to cure the first Speccy issue, but that's back anyway. I'm very hesitant--as a background, a new and identical model's motherboard died after only two days. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Edit to add: The right way to install BIOS update is via USB, right? According to repeated motherboard diagnotics, there is a USB fault somewhere. I called tech support who guessed it was a false positive but wasn't sure. This would throw the dilemma into sharper focus, perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

As much as I like Speccy, do not assume your hardware is at fault. I have found Speccy to be very good at identifying hardware, but not always accurate at monitoring it. This is particularly true with voltages, but temps have had problems too.

So I tend to rely on other programs for hardware status. For example, I use CoreTemp to monitor my CPU temp. And right now, CoreTemp says my CPU is running at 20°C while Speccy says 27°C. HwInfo64 also says 20°C. And for voltages, Speccy says:

+3.3V is 2.028 V
    +5V is 3.367 V
    +12V is 0.048 V​

If any of my voltages were really that far off, especially the +12V, this computer would not be running.

HWinfo64 is reporting those same voltages as:

+3.3V is 3.305 V
    +5V is 5.010 V
    +12V is 12.168 V
    These are all nicely within the allowed ±5% tolerances.

It should also be noted that the sensors incorporated into motherboards and processors are very low tech, inexpensive devices. And there is no industry standard for which sensors will be used, where they will be physically located, or how they will be labeled.

While it is great you are concerned about your temps, as long as they are not reading too hot, you keep your system free of heat trapping dust as best you can (a challenge with notebooks) and your system is remaining stable and not throttling down in speed due to heat, I would not worry too much about it.
    Not sure about this one. What motherboard "test"?

Do you have errors in Device Manager?

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I normally install all Lenovo firmware updates, and normally from Windows. I have occasionally updated from CD, never from a USB. The only problem I have encountered is this: if the UEFI-CSM firmware is operating in legacy mode, the computer doesn´t boot after the update, because the updated firmware is configured by default to boot in "UEFI only" mode. The correct this, I open the configuration interface and change the mode.

If eventually the update process fail, there are procedures available to re-install the previous firmware version.

Windows 10 usually uninstall Speccy because of compatibility issues.

4. Bill_Bright

The latest update of Speccy fixed the W10 compatibilities issues. I run it all my systems with no problems. I note the temp and voltage anomalies noted above occurs with W8 and W7 systems too.

5. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

OK, after reading my first post, the phrase "just do it" kept popping in, so like Robin A., I flashed the BIOS via Windows. What I got was "rewriting the boot-block record"--hello? I can say the BIOS update did nothing to cure the motherboard sensor issue and got a little hairy with shutting down over and over again:
    Yes, I've also used HWINFO64 for a while and its accuracy is superior to Speccy's, I'm afraid. I guess I'll just dismiss it altogether, there are literally days that go by without one System error so who am I to kvetch?

The problem is, this model (it's a workstation not laptop) has had vague motherboard issues since day one. The last BIOS cured the Speccy m/b failure to read before, why not hope it'll happen again? But it didn't.

Funny, now I can't find the Lenovo diagnostic hardware anywhere on the website, maybe it got pulled...again. At any rate, I suppose the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" still holds in this case. So does "curiosity killed the cat" and this is one expensive little brute to be playing around with the BIOS. We'll see. Thanks!:)

6. Bill_Bright

I keep forgetting Lenovo makes computers other than notebooks. But a "workstation" or a PC? There is a difference. A workstation is generally a POS type system, or one used specifically for CAD/CAE or graphics design work, and they typically have workstation graphics cards too.

System error? As found in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System?
    That's why I never recommend updating the BIOS unless it specifically states it fixes a problem I am having. I note the vast majority of BIOS updates simply add support for new CPUs or RAM that came out since the computer left the factory.

7. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Hello!
    This is a Lenovo workstation, not a PC per se. This is resolved b/c BIOS was flashed anyway. The original question was not whether I should flash BIOS :argh: but whether one should flash BIOS with pre-existing multiple and vague motherboard issues already in place-- to see whether any of those issues were addressed. It's a risk and gamble, particularly if the read-me says nothing. Too bad, nothing was cured.

Some parting thoughts:
    1. Piriform's support ended up installing Speccy on her Lenovo laptop and it didn't read the m/b temp on her machine either. Latest Speccy v.130 has a m/b temp frozen at 28 deg C for me.
    2. About 4 months ago, I opened a support ticket on Lenovo forum due to multiple motherboard-related anomalies, some serious. When I looked at thread a couple of days ago, it was pushing 1200 reads. A lot of these workstation owners are having some concerns, it seems. Lenovo motherboard can be nasty--due to its using proprietary adapters, some people use paper clips, tape, etc to force their upgrades--with limited success.
    3. I can navigate the Dell and Hewlett-Packard websites 1000% better than Lenovo's. Sheesh.
    4. As of this date, there appears to be no hardware diagnostic tool available on Lenovo's site.

Thanks, Bill_Bright!

8. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

I don't honestly think a BIOS patch will resolve all of the issues your suffering.
    It may be time to just replace that one?
    How old is it, if you don't mind me asking ? (the mobo)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Guess I'm old school or I misplace my USB sticks. When I do a BIOS update I prefer boot to CD.

10. Bill_Bright

If the motherboard is more than 5 years old, this is what I do too. But in recent years, the motherboard makers have come a long way to ensure the Windows based BIOS update utilities are vary robust - basically fool proof to the point they will automatically roll back should the update fail. I note too more and more computers are not coming with optical drives and frankly, I don't trust the USB interface.

I still don't recommend updating/flashing the BIOS just because a new update is available. But if an update is out there that addresses a problem I am having, I don't worry about it failing.

That said, I always make sure the computer I am updating is powered via a "good" UPS with AVR. In the many 100s of times I have flashed a BIOS over the years, the one and ONLY time I had a failed update brick a motherboard was when the power went out in the middle of the flash. Not pretty.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I also don't trust the USB interface. I updated a Lenovo X201 with no optical drive via an external optical drive.

12. Bill_Bright

And I bet that external optical connected via USB, which is risky, IMO. The forums are flooded with users complaining about USB devices that fail to connect or lose connection. USB just isn't as "universal" or near as reliable as it keeps promising. Besides more bandwidth, USB2.0 was supposed to fix the connectivity issues of USB1.x. It didn't. Then USB3.0 was supposed to fix the connectivity issues USB2.0 didn't fix. It didn't either. This is exactly why all my builds still include a SATA connected optical drive.

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

LOL correct. I have more faith in a external optical drive via USB vs a jump drive via USB.

14. Bill_Bright

Well, I'll give you that. Flash/pen/thumb drives can be pretty cheap and unreliable on their own - no need for the interface to mess them up. But external thumb drives, hard drives, webcams, and more are plagued by USB connectivity issues. About the only really reliable devices suited for USB, IMO, are keyboards and mice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.