Bios update anyone ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

As a matter of interest has anyone completed a bios update using Ubuntu (not Windows) ? How did it go ? I think to get info on your bios there is an libsmbios-bin package.

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Couple of times, created a boot disk with ISO master and flashed the BIOS on my boards.

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i did it once ocky

not from ubuntu or windows but from directly intel iso

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

A BIOS update is mainly a Motherboard manufacturer's province. At the Motherboard manufacturer's website you will usually find multiple BIOS updates for your motherboard in terms of .ISO files which you would download and burn to CD, and especially download the user guide instructions for actually doing the BIOS upgrade that amounts to booting from the .ISO downloaded and following the instructions to a T - for if you screw up, you won't be able to boot your computer and may require a new BIOS flash chip in the worst case.

The command:
    $ sudo dmidecode
    will get you BIOS information in detail enough that with it and the specific model of your Motherboard, a quick search of the Motherboard manufacturer's website will usually locate any available updates.

I need to update mine in due course to get the USB boot capability working properly - and, I have both the BIOS .ISO update burnt to a CD, and the instructions separately printed out for reference during the upgrade.

I will take a look at the package, libsmbios-bin, before I do the upgrade - thanks!

-- Tom

5. linuxforall

If your motherboard is supported, Flashrom which is in the repo will let you do it from within inside Linux GUI just like Windows and then all you do is reboot for it to take effect.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I saw this posted for a Dell Inspiron for updating from within Ubuntu. Please don't try it as I cannot verify whether or not this would a) apply to all laptops and b) whether it is really reliable. Just posting for interest sake. This was for a Dell Inspiron 1525.

sudo getSystemId (need libsmbios package) You get something like the quote below:

Download correct bios version per the above info.

bios.hdr (place in Home folder)

sudo modprobe dell_rbu (to load the module)

sudo dellBiosUpdate -u -f ./bios.hdr

Restart (if laptop battery must be inserted even if on AC power)

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I never update bios. EVER. Don't find it healthy.
    Mrk

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I only did it twice before being a Linux user - was just curious as to the methodology in Ubuntu.
    Following your pointers has greatly simplified my rather amateurish computering -and I remain quite healthy. :)

9. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The best way (on Ubuntu) to get a read on the BIOS is to issue the following command:
    $ sudo lshw

That, in conjunction with the dmidecode command is all the information one needs aside from the Motherboard manufacturer's BIOS .ISO and instructions. The MotherBoard Manual aka its Product Guide is essential reading to know about the jumper and how to do it as the MB manufacturer intended (so as not to screw it up).

I have been reading The Tutorial and Tips section on using the flashrom command at the Ubuntu Forums website, and I think I will stick to my MB manufacturer's instructions, etc.

-- Tom

10. linuxforall

I udpate to latest BIOS moment its relseased, reason is better performance, hardware support and many issues are resolved, also CPU microcode update are included in the BIOS. System's stability ultimately depends on the BIOS so sticking to old is not a good idea at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.