BIOS inaccessible after restoring to new hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JeffZ, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffZ

JeffZ Registered Member

After using TI to restore Windows XP and all my files and folders to a new hard drive installed in a Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook, I cannot access the BIOS. All that is displayed is the first page (of 7) with most of the data missing - i.e. hard drive info, service tag, etc..
    Also, I can't get to the remaining 6 pages. Tried shutting down and completely removing AC and battery power without success. I didn't backup (or restore) what appeared to be a hidden A: drive assigned to Symantec's "GOBACK". Should I have? Does the BIOS need this file(s)? I thought the BIOS was in ROM. IT appears to be a Phoenix BIOS, versio A07. Can someone help me get access to the BIOS back? Everything else works fine after the restore.

2. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

I doubt that your BIOS problem is the result of using TI.

I would boot into diagnostics and, if all test were successful, then download the A07 (or newest) BIOS flasher from your Dell support website and re-flash your BIOS.

Are you running any BIOS-controlling programs like 18KFanGUI? They may be the cause.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Check this forum for GOBACK incompatibility with TI. If there is a problem, it is probably due to GOBACK.

You might uninstall GOBACK and then restore the image and check again.

Since the BIOS is accessed even before the hard drive, nothing is needed on the hard drive for BIOS access. However, programs that alter the hard drive such as GOBACK could prevent the hard drive from being recognized by the BIOS.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

There is a TI FAQ item on GoBack as well.

5. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

To Re-Affirm what John and bVolk are saying, check out Post #2 in this thread. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=141843

If you have a fairly new Notebook from Dell, there's a chance it has Norton "Ghost 10" on it. This partition is hidden.

Norton "GoBack" and "Ghost 10" together on a HD...while trying to use ATI??
    WOW! What an EXPLOSION this has to be!!! Like putting 2 Cats in the same room with a Dogo_O o_O :'( :'(

Also, take Bob's advice, and check for a BIOS update. Flash if there is.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  6. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

7. JeffZ

JeffZ Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll pursue further and post results.

8. JeffZ

JeffZ Registered Member

I was able to successfully :D repair this problem by downloading an updated BIOS version from Dell's website and install it via CD versus installing from the Desktop icon created by the download. Thanks, again, for all the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.