Biniware Run

Discussion in 'Biniware Product Discussions' started by alexandrud, Dec 12, 2018.

1. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I, the developer of Windows Firewall Control, and the former owner of binisoft.org created a new web site named biniware.com where I will publish new tools that I will develop.

Currently, I created one new tool called Biniware Run. I also have in mind a new security tool that will get published in 2019 on the new website. I can't give more details about it, but it definitely will be very useful.

Biniware Run is a friendly, colorful and easy to use software which provides you fast access to your favorite website links, files and folders from one single place. Just drag and drop any website link, file or folder inside the colored circle from your desktop. You can easily access all you are interested in by using this handy software. You can define categories, move, sort, import, export or customize your shortcuts anytime. Instead of searching for bookmarks in different web browsers, files or folders through your computer, make your work and browsing easier with Biniware Run. And the best thing is that this software is portable. Even if there is an installer, this is just for an initial setup: folder creation, optional shortcuts, quick overview on how to use it. The installer will just extract one executable file and that's all. Want to get rid of it? Simple. Just delete the file.

Please use this topic to report problems and suggest new features for Biniware Run.
    Thank you.

pic1.png pic2.png

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Congratulations and thank you. :thumb:

3. Alpengreis

Alpengreis Registered Member

Oh, looks VERY interesting! Thank you :thumb:

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Welcome to the new Biniware Product Discussions forum!

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Excellent news.
    Thank you Alexandru, keep up the good work.

6. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Thank you. I have in plan to extend the functionality of this software. I remember when I started the development of Windows Firewall Control, back in 2010, it was a very modest tool compared to what it can do today.

7. aldist

aldist Registered Member

Poor and small icons compared to Windows
    icon.png
    Add dragging not only on the Run ring, but also on the Run window, directly into the program list.
    Custom window size is not saved.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  8. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Finally, someone :)
    - Small icons because 16x16 icons are used. I will see how this can be improved.
    - Adding support for drag and drop in the Configuration window is on my to do list. I'm also working on adding support to import HTML bookmarks exported from any major browser.
    - Adding support for saving the location of the window is on the to do list already.
    - Good observation about the folder location.
    Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  9. aldist

aldist Registered Member

Thank you for your work!

10. godless

godless Registered Member

Another good tool from Alexandru. :thumb:
    I found only one missing settings: start directory (working directory).
    Very often i using sheme: c:\...\program.exe [parameters] and i starting script from d:\...\dir
    Unfortunately I can not set output dir in parameters directly to program.exe

11. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I will add this too. Thank you for the suggestion.

12. Claudio R

Claudio R Registered Member

Great and if this is like the other ...
    I think maybe it could be important to start thinking about any customization of the language and if you need ...

13. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Multi language support infrastructure is already built-in. I just have to add the translations :)

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Why can't you give some more info about this new tool? :p

15. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Trying it out, nice one Alexandru.

My favourite websites generally require logins, so still easier to get there via the browser with password manager.

16. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I don't want to have my idea stolen :)
    The same here. However, in my user account I have set the browser to keep me logged in, so I never log out from any website, therefore I am always logged in. The problem is that I use Firefox and I am also forced to use Chrome for certain tasks, so I have bookmarks in both browsers and often I am searching for something which is, again, in the other browser.

17. aldist

aldist Registered Member

@alexandrud
    If the program is portable, make sure that the lamer can understand it:
    ScreenShot_245.png
    Now when choosing a user path we get a strange result:
    C:\...\Desktop\brun.exe instead C:\...\Desktop\BRun\brun.exe
    \Biniware\BRun\ is a bad variant, hardly anyone will install a dozen of your utilities. \BRun\ - perfect.
    And .cfg should always be in the same folder as brun.exe
    And resources, not a lot?
    ScreenShot_243.png
    Where is download link for Eng lang file?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  18. Claudio R

A simple (perhaps silly) proposal ...
    At the moment Biniware is identified by the "donut".
    It could be more identifiable by remembering that we are talking about Biniware and here is an icon hypothesis reminiscent of a tiny "b"
    Bnware.jpg
    forgive my English ... :(

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Not silly, I like it :thumb:.

20. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Haha...and you are who?

@alexandrud
    When we run an app using BR is it executed whit the same rights as logged user?...or maybe with limited privileges like in DropMyRights or even sandbox?

21. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Yes, the program is portable, but if I let the user to choose the folder by not providing a default folder, he will choose the Desktop or Downloads folders which are bad choices. For the next version I was thinking of suggesting the folder C:\Program Files\Biniware where the file is extracted. The settings will be saved in C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Biniware so that each user account will have their own settings. If someone really wants to have this portable, he can copy all files (brun.exe, brun.cfg) in the same folder (where elevated privileges are not required) and then the program will be 100% portable since everything is saved in the same folder, Windows Registry is not touched at all. If the brun.cfg is not found in the current folder, the program will try to use the one from the user data folder.

About the resources, this is .NET application and I can't do anything about it. Please read more on this subject below:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/223283/net-exe-memory-footprint
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1343374/reducing-memory-usage-of-net-applications

The English translation file is still often updated because I add new features. When the program will be in a phase when new translation strings will not be added so often, I will publish it and will integrate the translations in the software itself.
    I like it too. I have updated the default icon to be like this. It is indeed more distinctive. I also added a small run text in the center. This is how it looks like in different colors and sizes.
    Untitled.png
    The same privileges as the logged user.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  22. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Ok...thanks.

23. aldist

aldist Registered Member

On the icon it will be unreadable, one letter R can be enough.

24. Claudio R

I do not know if I understood correctly ... in Configuration ...
    If I insert an "executable" (.exe) it also appears Parameters ...
    If I insert a link (.lnk) (maybe already present on the desktop) it does not appear ...
    It could be useful to appear also in this case to insert maybe a specific URL ...

Another thing that could serve: the possibility of showing or not the extension, for example .lnk.

PS: I'm glad that my idea of "logo" liked ... Forgive, always, my English from ... translator ...;)

25. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I will add support for specifying parameters also for lnk files. However, if the shortcut is not to an executable file, then the parameters will not do anything.
    I do not understand where to show or not the extension ? In the path ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.