Big problems with AMON

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by twwabw, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Cliff notes- Enterprise Edition installed on SBS2003 network. Clients all running XP Pro. Server running AMON; DMON; EMON; XMON. No IMON installed on the server. Mirror set up for HTTP. All this works fine.

Every hour or so, when a client saves a file (CAD dwg files, XLS, DOC) it will cause the server to almost lock up- It is the System process hanging the server. This will sit this way for 30-60 seconds. During that time, server CPU usage goes up to about 25-30%. The client workstations that are trying to save are hung as well until this clears out. This condition did not exist previously (had Symantec Corp. 9.1, w/Exch module). It started last Monday, as soon as the clients started their week after I completed the install over the weekend. This network also has another node at another location, connected via VPN. 2nd DC sits at that site, 2K3 Server; all XP clients. That remote server is set up as the mirror for that node. The remote site saves virtually nothing back to the main office- they keep their work on their local server. No issues at this site at all.

Main site also has a 2K3 Terminal Server running- it runs their accounting app. No issues on this box at all, or with either site connecting to it or using it.

Server is thoroughly patched; 2kSP-1; Exch SP2; SBSsp1; etc. Clients are also thoroughly patched and up to date.

I installed IARSN Task Info 6.2.2 to be able to drill down into the processes, and see what's happening. Everytime it happens, AMON is the process using the resources. When it finally gives up, everything returns to normal.

I'm really tearing my hair out on this one. I have EntEdition running at about 6 other sites with no issues at all.

Thoughts??

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If it's just MS Office documets that you have the problem with, try quitting DMON by clickng the Quit button, AMON will still be scanning files. In the past, we discovered a bug in MS Office which caused DMON to get into a loop so maybe this is a similar problem. Also, make sure that AMON is set to scan files with default extensions, that might potentially carry malicious code, instead of all files.

3. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Hi- thanks for replying.

Actually, it's all files. AutoCad dwg and bak files will do it too.

I need to get this straight- disable DMON on the server completely, or just temporarily (off/then back on)?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can disable it completely, DMON is useful especially for those who have another resident monitor installed and running.

5. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Done. I also changed AMON to "default" extensions, and unselected "all files".

Should this be SOP for all new server installs? Never did it before, and they all work fine. What's different here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.