Big problems on Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MikeTerryP, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeTerryP

MikeTerryP Registered Member

I am having two problems that are rendering TI 11 useless to me. First, I am unable to create a Backup Location on my second hard drive. I can set one up on the HD that I am trying to image, but that would serve little purpose. TI simply hangs in the Create Backup Location wizard. Secondly, If I do a manual backup without a backup location on the second HD, it will start then produce a BSOD. I have a dual boot with XP and Vista. If I backup from within XP, everything is OK. The weird thing is that everything was working correctly until recently. The only thing that changed - that I know of - is that I manually deleted the old Backup Location folder accidentally, that's why I needed to make a new one. I have uninstalled and reinstalled to no effect. Any ideas?

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Might be worth checking if the old script is still lurking and causing TI to get confused.

Not sure where in Vista you should look, but it will be the equivalent to the XP location of:

C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Application Data\Acronis or,

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome

Colin

3. uptone

uptone Registered Member

Hello there

Because you are useing duel boot, the first thing I would look at is if there is any difference in what XP reports in it's disk management as opposed to what Vista reports in it's disk management. Vista has a habbit of changing drive letters on you especially if you use a lot of different USB storage devices. You may have already checked this but it's worth checking again. If you can create a backup location with XP and you have already reinstalled Acronis, you may need to run your Vista DVD in the fix mode to fix whatever went wrong in Vista. If you can't create a backup location with XP either than I would check the disk format of the disk you are trying to create it on.

4. MikeTerryP

I did a very thorough uninstall, both registry and windows locations. After reinstalling, same problem. No drive letters have changed at any time. Vista was always "C" and XP is "D". The drive I'm selecting to back up to is "E" which is hard drive #2. It is used as a storage drive only. It appears that TI simply does not like the SATA drive it is pointed at. Very curious.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well one way to check whether TI can or cannot operate with your second drive, would be to put a file on it, and see if TI can backup or image the drive.

If it can, then the backup location problem either lies elsewhere or some other part of TI is unhappy.

The backup location as I mention in my previous post is contained within an xml script.

In TI under backup locations, what is listed?

Have you tried making a folder on the backup drive, and pointing TI to that? On an early version of TI 11 I found that helped sometimes.

Colin

6. MikeTerryP

TI can make backups from and to the second drive if done with a manual backup task. It just can't make a backup location on that drive. A second point is that during large drive images, I get a BSOD midway through. So, it can make small backups, but not long, large ones. This is with Vista. If run from XP the drive image runs without a problem. Something new. I tried a BartPE disc for the first time. It ran on an older computer I have but caused a BSOD on the computer in question. I just can't figure out where the fault is.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MikeTerryP,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify if you installed Acronis True Image 11 Home from Windows XP or Vista?

Please make sure you use the latest build (8053) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue (BSOD) and collect the log file. The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please enable Windows mini-dumps the following way:

- Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties";
    - Go to "Advanced" tab;
    - Go to "Startup" and "Recover Settings";
    - Choose "Small memory dump" in "Write debugging information" box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Then please reproduce the problem and collect created mini-dump files from specified location.

Please also collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.