Big Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Infinity, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Ok, I am writing this from work, cause something happend yesterday.

I purchased a new power supply for my computer: the Antec TruePower 550
    I purchased a new graphic card: x800xl
    and new memory: 2*512mb mushkins (bh5)

I installed everything: I switch the power on: and I see some lightening on my power supply, every electricity in the room felt off...don't know what happend.
    No prbs, I bring my computer to the store and I say: here's my pc, watch out, don't just put on the switch cause it won't work...allready tried it. the guys said: ohhh, no prbs, we know what we do and our power circuit is protected...bla bla bla...they pull on the switch and all electricity in the store felt off again...all my brand new equipment was in it...

I don't know what will happen but something tells me I just lost a 2000$ computer...

I'm just mad mad mad...

2. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Hi Infinity,

Don't be too upset yet because it might not be as serious as you think.

What you have here is most likely a faulty power supply. It can happen sometimes that even brand new units have faults in them that for some reason got missed on the testing procedures when they were made.

The fact that your computer when switched on is blowing all the electricity supplies indicates that there is a complete short circuit on the mains input side of the power supply itself. So you will probably find that there has not been any power put into the computers circuits at all.

The thing to try now is another power supply unit. If you have a spare you can try that, otherwise see if you can borrow one from another computer.

Power supply units can also be tested out of the computer if you like to make sure that another one is good before plugging it to the motherboard and drives etc. Just plug it into the mains supply with all the output cables not connected and if it powers up without tripping the electricity supply then you can be sure that it is working. So you could even try this with the one you fitted and gave the problem. This way if it still blows when not connected to the computers circuits then it is sure to be faulty. If it blows only when connected to the motherboard and drives, then you can disconnect each cable to see if you can find which output is playing up.

Then you can start to think about wires not been fitted in the correct way around in the connectors and even start making voltage checks with a meter if you have one.

Anyway, with luck, your computer will still be ok if it's just a faulty PSU.

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Wow! Inf! Sounds like zarzenz knows what he is saying, so that will be great if it's just the power supply!

So, LUCK!! with it all!!:D

4. Infinity

Thanx Zarzenz...It still is in the shop, I don't dare to call them...I allmost cried yesterday :)

yes, let's hope it won't cost me 300$ again...

5. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

OK... well first of all, I guess this is the store you bought the computer, and possibly the power supply that may be faulty.

So, if this is the case, then if they have technical support people there, then it should be easy for them to check the power supply out.

If this turns out to be faulty, then with a replacement unit fitted, you should be back in business in no time.

Also, if the store supplied it, then there should be no charge to you as the faulty unit would have to be replaced free of charge. They may charge you a small amount for fitting and testing the replacement, but if they are good they will do the job for free to compensate for the stress it will have caused you. It all depends on their policy regarding these sort of things.

Give them a call and see.

Good luck and let's hope it all works out fine for you.

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I had something similar (it was a Noisecontrol powersupply) happening to me Infinity, it was replaced without any trouble, they in fact apologized. I was lucky the powersupply didn't ruin any other parts. i hope that you have the same luck/service as me. :)

7. Infinity

ok, update :)

210€ at least they told me on the phone...I have to buy a new powersupply and a new motherboard.

this is not the shop I purchased my computer from...I won't bring it there ever again. I will rma my broken Antec and receive a new one...that one'll sell so that is ok.
    pfff, computer stores in Belgium (most of them) are way to expensive, support isn't that good.

I learned an expensive lesson...

take care and thanx for listening

Inf.

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Man, what bad luck!

I would try to get the warranty on the PSU, and see if they refund your mobo. I mean, its not your fault that the power supply went bad, right?

(btw looks like a nice setup you have, what CPU?)

9. Infinity

P4 550 PRESCOTT, HIS EXCALIBUS X800XL, mushkins bh5 pc3200 (2-2-2), Antec Case, levicom psu :)() that are the main specs, oh yes 3 papst fans of 12mm :)

cpu idle is 41C and full load 53C
    standard 3dmarks with this graphic card : 11252

quite happy except for that psu, they don't have anything else grrrrr BUT it does have 25 amperes on the 12V line so that is good...

I'll try to sell the motherboard...nothing else I can do...

Inf.

p.s. : any luck on the twojans ? :D

/edit : this will be the LAST TIME I will ever pay for such a setup again...waaaay to much money and certainly doesn't make you any happier at all :oops: gave me more headaches then pleasure... :(

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I'm so lucky - I'm running an Athlon64, FX 5900, DVD ROM, CD Writer, Asus K8V-X Mobo - all on a 300W PSU!!!!!!

11. Infinity

AMD is waaaay better then Intel for a lot of reasons, but most important they perform better in almost every situation...

you better watch out with that 300W psu, most people will try to cutt of the costs with the psu and I know some people who really messed up everything cause there wasn't enough amperes on the 12V lines.

and a 300W psu of Antec is better then a 300W psu of AOPEN so it depends on what brand you have and what the amperes are saying on that 12V line cause every hdd or cdrw or graphic card will end up on the 12V and if you don't have enough...your equipment isn't getting enough "juice"...

12. Infinity

but that doesn't mean it is in your case...a good psu is important for overclockers and hobbyists...if not: it isn't that important

13. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Inf, one of the twojans wispered something about sending you his regards before passing away... :D

Your system is really kick-ass, compared to my AXP 2500+ NF2 based system...

Hope your system will work at peak performance from now on :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.