Big problem - Steam and ProcessGuard!

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by CoNzisT, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoNzisT

CoNzisT Registered Member

I assume that you all know what Steam is. (www.steampowered.com) :)
    Anyway I've got a problem. Everytime I launch Steam my computer locks and either I have to terminate Steam.exe or restart the computer. If I disable PG protection it works fine. Anybody has got any ideas to prevent this lockup?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi CoNzisT, Afraid I do not know your program but I do know that some programs like this have stopped working because ProcessGuard is installed and prevented the program from authenticating properly, some users were in fact using PG's guard to foil the program in some way, this is seen as a "hack" and so the program will not run.

Having said that you could untinstall steam, then put ProcessGuard in learning mode and try re-installing, this should give your program the necessary allows that it needs.

BTW have you just upgraded to the latest version?

It might be as well to ask /check the steampowered forum as this may have been discussed before.

HTH Pilli

3. CoNzisT

Yes i have the latest PG version. Hmm okay I'll try looking at the Steam forums.
    Thx for your help. If I can't find anything I'll contact you.

4. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

You could check out with the steam ppl whether it could be some copy/patch/cheat protection at work there. I googled for nprotect and steam but didn't (quickly) find a promising link.

To get more background information, see this thread.

HTH,
    Andreas

edit: discovered Pillis posting only after posting mine. basically we're having the same thing in mind, but the link is still worth a read...

5. CoNzisT

OMG Steampowered has disabled the search function in their forums. Shh what a shame.

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I have run Steam and ProcessGuard v3.000 successfully on the same machine. Try disabling protection first to see if it an issue with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.