BHODemon 2.0 (Freeware) Beta Testers Needed!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LarryLeonard, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryLeonard

LarryLeonard Developer

I hope to have that fixed in 2.0.0.4.

It's really downloading two files, but it's very unclear about that. I'll improve that (probably in 2.0.0.5 or later).

Thanks!

2. LarryLeonard

LarryLeonard Developer

Dang, I can't make it fail that way at all... can you email me your _BHODemon.log file? Thanks.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Sent.

4. LarryLeonard

LarryLeonard Developer

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Looks nice, but may I suggest that the programs looks in another place for unknown BHO's ? ;)

Pieter

Attached Files:

6. LarryLeonard

LarryLeonard Developer

Im sorry, I have no idea what you mean... BHOs can only exist in one place in the Registry, so there's no where else to look for them. Or do you mean I should be trying to resolve the Unknown ones better, from some list somewhere?? Or look on the user's hard drive??

I'm totally confused...

o_O

7. Pieter_Arntz

Sorry Larry,

That was not my intention. I noticed that it looked in Google Discussion groups for my Core Street spoofstick BHO with the CLSID {CBA74CDA-DF78-4AD9-954E-3B15D0A993DE}
    Looking for that CLSID in regular Google would have taken you straight to the list at ComputerCops.

Regards,

Pieter

8. LarryLeonard

LarryLeonard Developer

Oh, I see what you're talking about! You clicked the "Browse Web for Info on BHO", right?

What I'm trying to do is launch two instances of your browser, one going to www.google.com, and the other going to groups.google.com . The problem is, one some machines, instead of launching two instances, it uses one instance for both. If you click that "Browse Web for Info on BHO" button, when the groups.google.com page appears, use your browser's "Back" button, and you'll see the www.google.com page.

I thought I had fixed this in 2.0.0.4, but obviously not. I'll keep trying - thanks for the bug report! :)

9. Pieter_Arntz

Confirmed. That is exactly what happens.

Excuse me if I missed you explaining this, but where did you gather the information about the known BHO's ?

Regards,

Pieter

10. LarryLeonard

LarryLeonard Developer

I'm going to e-mail you and Tony Klein about this in just a moment...

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Larry - Just un-installed previous version, d/l'ed the new one, re-started, installed the new one.

During the set-up, it notified me that I had one unknown BHO and wanted to send it, so I let it. It actually sent three , not one (but it did send all three successfully).

Did you make the interface smaller by design? The button to maximize it in the upper right-hand corner is greyed out now (as is the "Maximize" context item from the upper left-hand corner context menu), the columns are all pretty much crunched together, and moving (dragging) the columns around doesn't accomplish much in the way of letting you see everything.

My screen res is set to 1024x768 - is that the problem? Previous versions displayed much better at the same setting, though.

Including a full-size screenshot of what I'm getting here when I "Open" the program from the SYSTRAY icon. Pete

Attached Files:

12. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Spy1, I was able to drag the sides and columns to open them up and the settings have been retained. So for me, it was a one time adjustment,
    Jim

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

BTW, detection works fine - I went ahead and installed SpoofStick on both IE and FireFox and BHOD lit right up with the alert when I installed SS in both (so did SBS&D). Pete

14. Pieter_Arntz

Got it and answered. :)

Regards,

Pieter

15. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

JW - Thanks. Did the same here (you have to press the "Shift" key when you minimize it back to the tray for the new size to "stick", right?). Pete

16. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Pete, no, it just worked that way. After your reply, I closed it and then restarted it and it retained the settings...... (and I'm a bit of a newbie, I don't know what you mean by pressing the shift key... is this required by some other apps?)
    Jim

17. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Jim - Yes, sometimes you have to either hold down the "Shift" or the "Ctrl" key (I can't remember which one) to get a re-sized window to retain the new size setting (especially in browsers, although it applies to program windows sometimes, too).

But, since it held you for, I probably don't have to worry about it - I just haven't re-started yet (and probably won't since I have to leave for work shortly). Pete

18. LarryLeonard

LarryLeonard Developer

Hmmmm, that's odd... I'll look into that.

I'm not sure why it's grayed out - I'll fix that.

Yeah, in version 2.0.0.4, the columns all begin life very scrunched up, and that's pretty ugly; that's fixed in 2.0.0.5 (coming soon!).

This has me totally stumped. In the screenshot you sent, I would just make the main window really wide, and then make the columns as wide as you like. Wait - are you saying you're changing the order of the columns by dragging them around, and that isn't helping? If so, all you have to do is position the mouse over the dividing line between the words, for example, Status and ProgId in the column headers; the mouse arrow will change shape, and at that point, just double-click, and the column will be "Auto-Sized" based on the data in that columns.

When you've sized everything as you want, it will all be remembered. All BHODemon lists remember their column widths, and all the windows remember their size and position. Liek someone else said, it's just a one-time setting.

Nope, "it just works"!

Nope - that's what I use!

Thanks for all your help!

19. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Larry here are some bugs I have found in version 2.0.0.4. If any of these were intentional please disregard. Great program.

open BHODemon
    click 1 time on the green area to the right of the checkbox in the "enabled?" column
    wait 1 sec
    now click again and it will allow you to type in the space (what you type will not be there after shutting down and restarting BHODemon)

Open BHODemon
    check and uncheck the checkbox in the "enabled?" column over and over disregarding the information - message box.
    stop clicking and the info box stating BHODemon has detected a change to the Browser Helper Objects will pop up
    click OK.
    Program will crash

Open BHODemon
    Click return to tray or minimize
    left click and hold while dragging the system tray icon
    when you let go the BHODemon menu will appear where you let go of left mouse button

Open BHODemon
    mouseover the gray area where no BHO exists
    balloon will say "Double-click for details about this BHO"
    since there is no BHO there I suggest correcting this if possible.

Open BHODemon
    click on a HTTP:// address of one of the BHO's
    now left click and hold while dragging on gray area
    hold and drag till you get to a BHO and let go and it will go to the HTTP:// address for whatever BHO is highlighted
    * it will not work if you don't click on an HTTP:// address first

Most of the time when you double click the system tray icon it will leave remnants of the context menu by the system tray icons.

I usually don't use forums for bug reports so I hope that this is an acceptable post.

Thanks,
    Chris Wagers

20. LarryLeonard

LarryLeonard Developer

Thanks for this report - it really helps me to improve the program!

Yeah, this annoys me, too. I'm using a third-party grid, and the only way to enable the checkbox is to also enable text entry, which seems fairly stupid to me. I'll look into fixing it.

I got this crash a few times myself (it's in the third-party grid, of course), but cannot duplicate it reliably enough to debug it. I'll keep trying.

Hmmm... most of the app in my tray behave the same way, except that they erase their menu if you click somewhere on the desktop, while BHODemon's menu can't be erased until you select one of the menu items. I should be able to fix this.

I'll probably just re-word the tooltip to make it correct.

I'm sorry, I don't think I understand this. I think it may be a timing issue??

I thought I had this fixed in 2.0.0.4. Can you email a screenshot of your tray area to BHODemon@DefinitiveSolutions.com ?

I don't know how the board owners feel; if you prefer, just email me at BHODemon@DefinitiveSolutions.com . Thanks again for your help.

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

[/QUOTE]
    I don't know how the board owners feel; if you prefer, just email me at BHODemon@DefinitiveSolutions.com . Thanks again for your help.[/QUOTE]

I am not THE or one of the board owners but I like for this time the kind of interaction about your program.

Gerard

22. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Larry,

The owners have no objections in any way - as long as it serves the purpose of debugging your software and keeping us posted ;)

regards.

paul

23. LarryLeonard

LarryLeonard Developer

24. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Larry - This one seems good-to-go to me.

Un-installed previous version, d/l'ed new from your link above, re-started and installed (I didn't delete the previous versions' folder, so that's where the new one installed to).

I see you've updated your BHO list (all mine are now recognized); you did a great "explanation" job on what was going to be checked for/d/l'ed during the initial update; all the fields are correctly sized here - in short, everything that I'm likely to ever need/use from the program works as advertised.

I haven't done any re-starts since the install, so I don't know whether "Failed to create" is going to rear its' head again, but even if it does, AFAIC, it's a wrap - and a keeper. Pete

25. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.