Beware of Microsoft update Kb976902!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

anyone else also have a driver update? I had a logitech driver update that seemed to install without issue but I'm wondering if the combo of the MS release and the logitech release resulted in some sort of conflict, especially since there's a driver involved which I assume could contribute to the boot problem

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me that MS can release beta updates! Anyway, everything seems OK on my desktop so far. You are quite correct in your approach though, updates like this have caused problems for some. It is something that all MS users should be aware of.

3. osip

osip Registered Member

I updated today except for KB976902, meaning 3 updates. Got a constant BSOD after reboot and tried win7 setup disk with system repair. Said that the boot manager was damaged and unable to fix. Restored with ATI NonstopBackup (!, for the first time). Could be that this occured due to recent bluetooth driver update, don't know.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I believe that in the descripion of this update, it says that if it's not installed, it's possible that some future updates may or may not install properly... so it appears to be needed.

5. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

yummy i guess every1s' about to get their dose of rootkit heaven ie. if I remember right someone special is working with microsoft now a few or more years......................:argh:

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Gotta feel sorry for Microsoft. They do a months testing and sometimes more of all their patches, just to satisfy people. Then when they finally release it, THEY get the blame from users because of the badly coded 3rd party programs they insist on running.

:oops:

Windows updates have, and most likely always will work perfeceltly fine on systems I run, then again, I keep my systems clean. *puppy*

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes... I didn't say it wasn't needed. I mentioned that, if this update is only for SP1, then for sure is needed, but no need to install it right away, though.

For those installing SP1 via offline/standalone (whatever is called :D) installer -again, if only meant for SP1 -, if it's like Vista SP1, then the update in question will also be part of SP1 installer.

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, that's a good point. It's one of the reasons I like running MSE. It probably won't have any issues with any MS updates.

9. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

Totally agree. :)

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

This thread is well intended FUD. :'(

FWIW, I installed it. No problems.

I also use IE9 (and FF with ns)

IF I need to I can remove it by restoring an image using paragon.

11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2419640) failed the first time, then it worked fine after a reboot.
    I've installed it with KB976902. For some strange reason, it happened on both my clean virtual machine and tweaked physical machine.

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

installed fine here zero issues

14. swami

swami Registered Member

I think the question is does it **** the pirated versions now or in the future when 1st service pack arrives?

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Why would something no one (except pirates) cares about be "the question"? I think most people don't care what it does to pirated copies, do you? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.