Beware of Microsoft update Kb976902!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Upon updating W7 64 Ultimate today i noticed update Kb976902 was not already checked to install. It was listed as an available update listed with critical updates. I clicked on it to see a description of the update, and it gave a really vague dodgy description of the update. The description said install this update to insure future updates. It also said that once you install it it can not be removed. I did a search on it, and seems that it is a beta or RC release that is going to prepare W7 for SP1. Why they would push out a beta or RC update with critical updates is beyond me! Needless to say I did not install it. They are not even giving out an informative description of what the update is for. I would stay away from it until its final release. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/ebd18ad2-cae7-4513-91d1-35b45467446d

Attached Files:

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I think it is (or was) needed to install IE 9 beta. I have it installed, no problem.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

In your case it may be needed, but I know there is a lot of people that are not going to want to install this update.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Some people are hyper obsessive about updates like these. Oh no, you're not allowed to prepare my PC for future software that will be part of the next Windows version anyway.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm a bit worried about installing it now after reading that link. :eek:

I also found this.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Installed it here, everything's fine, no big deal. What's all the fuss about? Nothing else to worry about today? ;)

7. Daveski17

Yeah, I installed it after a bit of reading. Everything seems fine. I'm just a tad paranoid LOL! ;)

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i installed it hours ago and no probs, i dont see wat the fuss is about either, peep seem to be over-paranoid these days

9. Cutting_Edgetech

I think you guys are missing the point. Is it not a beta or RC release? I don't want to be their Guinea pig. Why should I be their test machine? What if the update causes problems with my machine? It cannot be removed! I started this thread so people would be aware of the update, and they can decide for themselves if they want to install it.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

I am not one of these people.

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

MS issues an update which is not pre selected, user reads the description and chooses to update or not. Could be worse. And is it stands now nothing to be wary of
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976902

12. pbmcmlxxi

pbmcmlxxi Registered Member

I installed it with no issues. Don't see what the problem is personally. It is user selectable. If it helps with future updates why not.

It's folk who don't ever both with updates and wonder why the PC's don't work correctly that never cease to amaze me. At the end of the day Microsoft provide the updates for their operating systems to help maintain a working environment. I am sure that more folk would complain if they did not. :)

As with this update is seems invaluable as a prerequisite to installing SP1 later this year.

13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I installed MS updates and selected this KB976902 update be added as well. The only updates I chose not to make were MRT and some Outlook junk email update. On reboot I got a message that windows was unable to boot properly and some diagnostic boot scan was recommended. I chose to do that and then another message for a system restore was recommended, I chose "ok" on that one too. Windows sputtered for a bit then started up normally.

I then checked for MS updates again and noticed that system restore worked correctly even though the MS update for KB976902 says once installed it cannot be removed. I chose the same updates before except for KB976902. Rebooting now to see what happens.

EDIT--
    Same issue on reboot; finally got back to my desktop; windows update shows install errors with KB2419640, KB2454826 and KB976902.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  14. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I never had any problems with Microsoft updates . I installed this update on my home Windows 7 computer yesterday and now I find this thread - I rebooted twice and don't have problems with Windows.

15. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

Had blue screen after Jan 10/10 updates '7-64bit

Then went back to previous Acronis image(Thank the heavens for that), downloaded the MS updates again including one mentioned in this thread but unticking KB2454826(haven't got it installed now)
    No issue, BS since last night

That update I type of is some video upgrade change thing-+

If you can't remove an update try safe mode

16. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks for the reply Cundi! Is this update a beta or RC? That's the only reason I don't want to install it. I will install it after it is out of the testing phase. If it is a beta or RC release then i would suggest to Microsoft that the user is informed that in the update manager. I just wanted to make people aware that it is a beta release before they install it. I will install it later when it's final is released. Also my NOD 32 tray icon is orange now because i did not install it. Is there some way to restore it to green without installing the update?

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the update is not a beta update. i have never run any Microsoft beta software on this computer and I have got the update today as well. the update is simply an update that prepares the computer for the Final SP1. vista done the something before the final SP1 and SP2.

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

After the initial failures, I managed to installed them all.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  19. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

I now installed KB2454826 it installed in a reboot with a progress install by per cents which it hadn't shown when I tried all the dl'ds at once

Its been couple hours and no BS

I had a BS within 20 minutes with the first try of installing all of the MS updates at once...see my previous post in this thread

I will see what happens now

If I post no more issues then its okay(well here:D )

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I rarely install updates, and have no BSODs ;)

I wait for service packs to be tested for a bit, then I try to integrate the service pack into the source dvd, then I do a fresh install.

I have a serious issue with all the loose ends and clutter that updates bring with them. In the past (xp) I was burned a number of times using automatic updates, having to either use system restore or a ghost image. My machine is tweaked quite heavily so that is probably why these things happen.

Sul.

21. Daveski17

I think it was a good idea to bring it to people's attention though Cutting_Edgetech. I don't totally trust M$ either. I'm personally glad that you did, it gave me a more informed decision. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

22. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

Today I turned on my Windows 7 32 bit home premium came up asking for updates and said there were six. I did all six on this machine. After a reboot it asked for the kb976902. I clicked to update but it just hangs there and it says it is downloading but nothing happens.

this is a desktop computer

I did the update fine on my laptop- no problems yesterday

I am wondering why it is just sitting there and will not download nor install
    robin

23. Woodgiant

Woodgiant Guest

Hello Cutting_Edgetech
    There is a way to restore Eset to Green.
    Best Regards

Attached Files:

24. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If this update is to prepare Windows 7 systems for SP1, then, if alike Windows Vista SP1, the update will also be part of the SPI installer.

I guess the updates comes via Windows Update, because it's "advisable" only to install SP1 from Windows Update, because it's a smaller download, compared to the offline installer.

25. Cutting_Edgetech

Thank You for understanding the purpose of this thread! My main concern for myself was that the update may not be stable, and could still contain bugs. I will wait until I need it when SP1 is released before taking the plunge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.