Discussion in 'Returnil Betas' started by 1000db, Jan 10, 2013.
Is there an ETA for anymore beta releases? Any news on a final version?
See Coldmoon's post from end of December HERE...
OK...just wondering but we're way past "into next month" and still no news or ETA on the new version.
The beta development is progressing and apologies for the over-optimistic estimate on the release timing. Where we are at the moment:
1. The current internal release for v4x is stable and the redesign of the virtualization is working well with both older supported versions of Windows and Windows 8 compatibility
2. The initial testing Help manual is completed and included in the installer but will need some minor adjustments just prior to release to address some minor GUI changes that improve usability and tighten up the look and feel
3. There is a bug in the current build related to Writable Documents on Windows 8 that will be corrected in the next internal testing build
4. GUI localisations are still pending with the betas currently only being compiled in English. As we move closer to the final release we plan to include as many localisations as possible but the selection may still be limited pending translator availability as we move forward. Russian translation is completed and being updated in parallel with the development but will not be included until we move to the phase where we can focus on adding the alternate languages available at that time
5. Wish list items added are a new toolbar (optional) and strong visual cues to show that the virtualization (now called sandbox) is active. The cues include:
a. open window border and Windows Taskbar color change that is obvious and unmistakable
b. Visual display of available disk space remaining in the GUI while virtualized (sandboxed) for each disk/partition sandboxed
6. Performance, privacy, and security upgrades: the new design for the virtualization is significantly faster than in the older 3.2x generation and now includes strong privacy protection that eliminates recovery of previous activity automatically. In older versions, past activity COULD be found using forensic techniques in a similar way that information could be retrieved from the Windows pagefile. In v4x, no information can be retrieved from a previous virtual session
6a. Secure/anonymous surfing: v4x now includes easy to use TOR compatibility for private/secure browsing
7. Better compatibility with a wider range of alternate security solutions and strategies. Though our focus has always been to make the software universally compatible with systems running supported versions of Windows, there have been rare, but noticeable situations where a few computer models and a small number of third party AV's have presented a problem when using Returnil. These issues should be resolved in the new generation going forward due to our refocusing on our core strengths rather than trying to continue a single vertical layering approach as in the current RSS
8. Simplified exclusions process that combines the security of the older File Manager approach with the ease of a traditional exclusions process. The new method for saving content to disk is more automated with a simplified list of directories that can be selected or deselected with all content within those directories including sub-folders, folders, and actual content included
9. Smaller footprint
10. 3.2x type compatibility with the Returnil Commander management console and client registration
11. Aggressive pricing that will be attractive to institution as well as consumer level customers - in other words, get ready to save some serious money in the next generation
Awesome. Can't wait. Thanks for the update!
Great info, thanks for the update. Looking forward to trying v4 out.
Been a few months since your last update. Can we get a new ETA or approximation of when the new Returnil will be available? I'd like to hear more about these aggressive prices too.
I was expecting a new internal release with the fixes for the initial GUI upgrade earlier this week. The development team indicates that they should have an update on the status later this week and I will let you know as soon as I know where we are with the new RNT.
Separate names with a comma.