Beta-testing TinyWall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi!

You say this happens when your network changes. The network changes in what way? Does your WiFi get disconnected and reconnected to a different one? Or does you DHCP lease expire? Is it due to roaming wirelessly? Or are you changing the network adapter settings in the background? etc.

2. fliflipoune

fliflipoune Registered Member

Hi!
    I have seen it in two situations: when logging in and my Wifi is connected, and when starting a VPN. When closing the VPN and going back on my Wifi, it's ok, everything is fine. When disconnecting and connecting my wifi manually it's also ok. It's ok after standby. It's like only a problem the first time connecting to a network after a cold boot. I should have been more precise in my first post :).

When this small problem is happening, Windows is sure there is connection to the Internet.

3. ultim

ultim Developer

Do you use the natives tool to Windows, or do you maybe use a WiFi manager/utlity provided by your Wifi-chip/laptop vendor?

4. dionysus

dionysus Registered Member

Hola. I am looking forward to v3.0! I am trying to install the latest 2.99 and I cant uninstall the last one. please help. you can see the exact error in the image url i posted. its the same error pf the guy a few pages back that you said wasnt duplicated. Guess. what. lol, https://imgur.com/a/vsu0w2G thanks man lmk.

5. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi, yes, sorry for that, that was an issue with the previous version (and only the previous version). Solution: Open the Windows Services management panel, set TinyWall to disabled and OK. Then kill all TinyWall processes (Task Manager -> Details tab -> look for TinyWall.exe, should be two items to kill). Then both uninstall or direct upgrade should work. Next time this won't be necessary.

6. dionysus

dionysus Registered Member

It's ok bugs happen thats why we are here and you rock so keep doing what you do. Thanks for the solution, if in the rare case it does not work out i'll post back. Have a great day.

7. gmw

gmw Registered Member

Hi ultim,

Sorry for the delay, I only just noticed the update. Tonight I updated one physical machine and two virtual machines (all Windows 10 x64 1903) from TinyWall v2.99.10 to v2.99.11. In all cases I had to manually stop the TinyWall service before the upgrade would go ahead (as per previous posts about this). Other than that (and an embarrassing mistake on my part when working on the physical machine) the updates all went okay.

As far as I can tell the problems that I had with local network (file sharing and also some other IP connections) not coming up after a reboot until I unticked and ticked the "Unblock LAN Traffic" option is now gone. Since it was not 100% consistent before, it's possible it might still show up, but I went through a number of reboots and each time everything came up properly, so it looks good. So congratulations, that seems to fixed. :)

I like that the settings window can be resized. :) Assuming the updated machines are stable for a day or two I will update some other machines and see how they go.

I did have one odd thing: On one VM, after getting the update installed, the TinyWall service (not the controller process) went into some sort of loop taking up 100% of one CPU and the controller menu would not come up. So I rebooted and everything looked okay for a while, but then the CPU use started again. Restarted the process, and it was okay for a while, and then started again. Finally I restarted, and then before the problem began again, I saved the settings and uninstalled TinyWall. I then re-installed, imported the saved settings and so far everything looks good. Neither of the other machines have showed any sign of the problem. Whatever it was, it seems to be gone now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.