Beta-testing TinyWall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

glad to hear that :thumb:

2. yeL

yeL Registered Member

@askmark @ultim

Thanks for the information. I've never used TinyWall in the past, so let me say/ask a few things:

If i only want to allow outgoing traffic i need to pick the 3rd option "Allow outgoing UDP and TCP traffic" option for each application, correct?
    What does the "Restrict to local network" mean?
    The "Show Connections" don't support F5 refresh
    The "Application Exceptions" don't support delete key
    The "Special Exceptions" checkboxes seem clunky. Need two clicks in order to tick checkbox. Clicking in white space check/uncheck the checkbox. See example: https://gfycat.com/impracticallivelygreyhounddog

3. Makora

Makora Registered Member

Well, I downloaded Tinywall 2.1.11 and it still have problems with network discovery. It's the same problem since version 2.1.8. Every time I revert to 2.1.7 it works. So is back to 2.1.7. I'm in windows 8.1 64 pro. Does anyone have version 2.1.8 and above working with network discovery? If so please tell me how. I have tried everything, maybe is something obvious that I have missed. (Obvious, sometimes tend to hide from view.) Thanks in advance. :)

4. ultim

ultim Developer

Yes, for most. For some applications like VPN clients or traffic analyzers like Wireshark you might need to choose the unrestricted option though.

It means the app (in addition to other restrictions like port numbers you set) will only be able to communicate with devices in your home, but not with the internet.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll evaluate each idea.

5. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi, for you I recommend to wait for the next beta build and try that. Until then please keep using 2.1.7 if that is what works for you.

6. Bertazzone

Bertazzone Registered Member

I've always like that feature.

7. Makora

Makora Registered Member

ultim, will do, thanks. I was curious if the latest had it fix. I love your creation. I had it in window 7 and now in windows 8.1. I'm planing to move to windows 10 in 2023 when windows 8.1 goes off the edge. I love 8.1 because it has worked perfectly in every computer I installed it. For me win 8.1 and Linux is a great combo. Win 10, not so much. I figure maybe windows 10 might get out of Beta in 4 years. (Doubtful) Some people can deal with the mess, I can't. Most of the people that I know is still in 7,8.1 or Linux. The people that I know that have 10 it seems to me are in perpetual Beta. MS pushes an update and their computer goes bonkers. I love the idea of blocking anything coming in and going out until I say otherwise.

8. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

@ultim

1- Tinywall's blocklist function prevent Adguard For Windows to connect to its service and load properly. The connection is shown as Blocked in Show Connections but unblocking it has no effect as well as making Adguard.exe or AdguardSvc.exe an exception.
    Disabling Blocklist is the only way.

2- TW blocks MS Edge dev (the new edge based on Chromium) to update, its process (microsoftedgeupdate.exe) stay blocked despite unblocking it. Blocklist was disabled.
    Chromedge.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  9. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

or use the airplane mode in win10 :p

10. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Back in the day, when I was young, to Beta test, Tiny Firewall {which was so innovative}...until CA bought tnem.

If I, configure it wrong, I cannot even log in—we did it here on Wilder's and DSL Reports.

But, that's...'When the World was Young'

I run MS Edge in 'Application Guard'.

I mean no disrespect,
    Robert

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 4:54 PM
  11. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi, that was not TinyWall though.

TinyWall is a totally and completely different product from Tiny Firewall. They ended up with a similar name by pure chance, but have not a single line of code or developer in common.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

13. askmark

askmark Registered Member

@ultim
    A problem similar to Umbra has with Adguard:

Tinywall with "Port-based malware blocklist" option enabled prevents SABnzbd (sabnzbd.exe) from starting up and listening on tcp 8080. This is even with Tinywall's firewall mode set to 'disabled'.

14. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To be honest, I don't really like to test software, unless they are already bugfree for the most part.

OK, then I guess I misunderstood. But I just read that the new TinyWall is not simply a front-end for the Win Firewall. Why did you make this change?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.