TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ultim

ultim Developer

Thanks so much helping with the test. Unfortunately what I need is this file here: C:\ProgramData\TinyWall\errorlog
    Can you upload or send that to me?

2. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yup, here you go.

Attached Files:

3. ultim

ultim Developer

Duh, my bad. This was the wrong installer. I now updated all links to point here.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

errorlog

are you going to upload a fix in the next minutes?
    if so, I can wait...

Attached Files:

5. askmark

askmark Registered Member

No problem. The errlog just consists of the entry below repeated over and over again:
    Code:
    ------- 08/07/2019 00:11:10 -------
    WFPdotNet.WfpException: CreateSubscription returned 2150760467.
       at WFPdotNet.NetEventSubscription..ctor(Engine engine, NetEventCallback callback, Object context)
       at WFPdotNet.Engine.SubscribeNetEvent(NetEventCallback callback, Object context)
       at PKSoft.TinyWallService.FirewallWorkerMethod()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

6. ultim

ultim Developer

@Mr.X Ahhh, perfect. I've got the error code, and it gave me even more information than I expected. I can resolve the problem with this, thank you!

EDIT: Thanks @askmark too! Fortunately it seems to be the same thing, not a separate issue.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Resolve it right now or tomorrow or...?

8. ultim

ultim Developer

Tomorrow. It is already 1:22am at my place, and the fix will take a small bit of time (maybe about 30-50 minutes). Given that I'll get up early tomorrow to catch a train, it's wiser to do it tomorrow. But I should be able to provide a fix tomorrow in the evening.

9. ultim

ultim Developer

@askmark @Mr.X New, fixed version uploaded. Thanks again for the logs that helped me determine the cause.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Before I continue testing I want to you to answer a question.

Someone told me TinyWall does not alert an outbound connection via popup or systray balloon or whatever. So I ask you whether this new TinyWall version is going to alert or not. Obviously I need that feature.

11. ultim

ultim Developer

It does not. This is a very low priority for me and will surely not be part of the first TinyWall 3 release. Not showing connection popups has been a basic design principle since the beginning, because I think it does more harm than good. I generally think of connection popups as a harmful feature.

TinyWall *does* show you which applications got blocked recently, so you have a way of knowing that, and you can (among others) whitelist them directly from there too. But there are no real-time popups.

EDIT: For a better explanation, read the "The no-popup approach"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  12. askmark

askmark Registered Member

Thank you. Installed and working normally. Now to test Tinywall properly.

13. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@ultim ok, I'm not closed-minded. So why not give it a try, right?

14. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

15. guest

guest Guest

@Mr.X Seems than tinywall is the "SRP" of firewalls, interesting.

16. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Ever since I read your explanation some years ago I've been sold on the "no-popup approach", which is why I've never bothered with Windows Firewall Control, Simplewall, etc.. If there were no TW I'd rather use Windows Firewall.

I'm not testing the Beta yet but I look forward to its development!

17. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

lol sounds funny to me but I think you mean that, since this firewall throws no pop ups.

18. Deenka

Deenka Registered Member

Testing the beta version and was needed disable completly the Windows Firewall to get to work properly, as it was blocking my apps like Emby Server and Kaspersky updates.

19. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

You know that popups are optional and can be enabled or disabled. I never understood how a missing feature can be advertised like an actual feature. :)

20. ultim

ultim Developer

Mainly because TinyWall was the first ever to introduce many other features to balance or make up for the lost comfort, so while some other products had the option to disable popups, none of them were usable when they were disabled. So instead of popups, TinyWall implemented other unique features. It was always designed with no popups in mind and it was reasonable to use TinyWall without popups, not like others. WFC was actually a prime example of this, because it was exactly the absence of the popups feature in the free version that forced users to pay for the product (this only changed relatively recently in 2018 or so), so I am a bit amused hearing this from you.

Second reason is, though much more theoretical I have to admit, is that alone the ability to display popups drives users to bad behavior. Most turn popups on automatically (or never turn it off), just because that's what they are used to from other products, and will never realize that they won't lose much buy turning them off. In contrast to this, TinyWall tries to show them what I believe is the better way. This is my way of trying to educate the community and security-conscious users.

21. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

There is no better or worse way. Some people prefer to see popups, some don't. Personally I do not need them. They are disabled in WFC on my machine. The users requested those notifications and after months of work (followed by years of fine tuning) I found a way to provide that feature. But while the notifications were not part of WFC, I never said how bad these notifications would be, WFC is better without them. I always admitted when certain features were not possible or beyond my knowledge.

Anyway, it is good to see that after years of pausing the project, you are still investing time to make it better. :thumb:

22. ultim

ultim Developer

Yeah, I admit it was overdue. Since TinyWall stopped working with the Win10 May update in 2019, obviously I had to fix that, but that only happened recently. I actually want to finish TinyWall 3 and I was angry at myself for never finishing TinyWall 3 after working 1.5 years on it in 2015-2016. TinyWall of course is also the result of years of tuning, changes from v1->v2 and then to v2 to v2.1 in 2011-2016 were very large, and inbetween I brought out many feature updates, not just fixes. TinyWall being a controller for Windows Firewall didn't sit well with many features that were requested by users, and the new basis of TinyWall 3 looks like is going to successfully solve those now.

Outgoing popup notifications is bit of a different story for me though. It was never about what is possible or what I am capable of, obviously TinyWall 2 already had to ability to display blocked connections, so making popups out of them is not the issue. It is just not what TinyWall is. That is why I said popup notifications are low on my priority list. I am not saying I will never implement them, but to be honest, I have many ideas on my feature wishlist that I *personally* prioritize over popups. I totally agree that personal opinions might be different, and that not everybody thinks like me, and there is absolutely no dispute that many users will want to have popups. I direct them to WFC. For all others I recommend they try TinyWall. TW3 changes the landscape, because admittedly there were some quirks with TW2 that not everybody could live with (aside from missing popups), but TW will do away with those problems. Only a bit more time...

23. ultim

ultim Developer

TinyWall is a different mindset, I might say. With other products, users usually go "I want popups so that I know if I need to whitelist something, unless they become too annoying so I turn them off". A TinyWall user goes "when I need a program to access to internet, I whitelist it after installation, and I don't need notifications of anything else because I don't want them to access the internet anyway. They can fail silently, no need to fail loud."

24. guest

guest Guest

Before I used to use Windows built-in firewall (I call it WinFW) only and creating rules on the fly, with habits, it took 1mn max.
    Then I became lazy and used registered WFC which was useful and I really like its rules panel (hope TW has a good one) ; the pop-up feature was not so much a selling point for me.

Just a question, does tinywall shows me blocked connections during system boot?

25. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I like TinyWall turning into a WFP controller.
    I think I started to like and actually seeing useful the "no pop-up approach"

Connections gui (Show Connections feature) helps a lot to allow new connections or even fine tuning them.
    The rest of connections are default-blocked, nice.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.