TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Any idea when this new beta will be out?
    Can't wait! Thanks!

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Just a request, include the zone you currently are into when hovering, just to save a click, :D

3. ultim

ultim Developer

Seven64:
    I don't know yet. I am done with most of the changes, but I'd also like to get to the bottom of the problems a few people are experiencing. Should it turn out that it is TinyWall's fault and not some insane security software/local configuration problem, I'd like to correct it before making a new release. Unfortunately none of the effected people provided me with feedback yet, but it has been weekend so I'll still wait a little more.

skudo12:
    Thanks, that is also a good idea, will do it.

4. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Any updates about the bugs? Just curious because it's working well for me.

5. ultim

ultim Developer

Yes, I have good news. After spending a lot of time testing through various configurations for incompatibilities with system settings and also other security software, I came to the conclusion that it is most likely a disabled Windows Firewall that is causing the problems. More recently, with great help from 1000db (Thanks again!), this seems to have been verified. I just hope that the other two people are having the same cause.

So the problem seems to be not really a bug in TinyWall, but rather uninformative error messages in this case. In the new version I have added diagnostics and proper messages to notify the user, as well as an automatic mitigation step to try to repair the problem.

(Btw, none of SpyBot, Private Firewall, Outpost S.Suite, Online Armor, nod32, norton av, kaspersky, avira, AVG, comodo, panda or emsisoft, NONE had incompatiblities with TinyWall.)

The new version is likely going to be a final beta or release candidate. Some other minor issues have also been resolved.

6. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

So TinyWall can be used with a 3rd party firewall you listed?

7. ultim

ultim Developer

With the ones that I've tested, yes. I still wouldn't recommend it though, since then you have to unblock the same application in two different firewalls, which will only lead to confusion. It will probably make the user think that either the application or one of the firewalls is not working, while all that was missing is to unblock the app in the other firewall too.

To sum it up (just as stated in the FAQ on TinyWall's website), even if two firewalls can work and coexist on the same system, I'd strongly discourage it. Choose one.

8. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I was always told one firewall only. It through me off with "coexist".
    Thanks.

9. ultim

ultim Developer

Hello everyone,
    The Release Candidate is out. This means that this will be basically the first stable release if no further issues are found. It also means that I will only fix bugs or add some new profiles until the stable is out, but I totally cleared my bug list, so you need to search very hard to find something new and common. This release is pretty solid and I encourage everyone to try it out, even those waiting for the final release, because this is virtually identical to it. It is also the first build with compiler optimizations turned on.

Of special note in this release:
    - Gracefull handling of disabled Windows Firewall. This should fix the "Failed" problems some of you were experiencing.
    - When whitelisting an unknown application by window, the UI no longer freezes temporarily. This has been a bug that's been "bugging me" since pre-beta1, but until now I've never found a way to fix it. I have finally found a solution.
    - Support for VPN connections (in Special Exceptions tab)

As I said, my bug-list is empty. Of course there is no such thing as a bug-free software, but it means that that there is none that I currently know of and you are quite unlikely to find one during average use. And just in case you do, that's why this is a release candidate, so that I can go at it one more time should you still find something. And in case noone finds anything, I'll just rewrite the version number to 1.0 :D

Changelog:
    - Fix: When whitelisting by window, the profile association window is frozen for multiple seconds
    - Fix: When performing scan for installed applications, applications with special rules should not be listed
    - Fix: Writing to the crashlog for the very first time fails
    - Show found executable path during automatic app scan
    - If the service is not running upon controller start, perform more aggressive repair steps than before.
    - If the service is not running when opening the tray menu, notify the user instead of just telling him later that an operation failed.
    - Output current zone in tray hover popup
    - Support for L2TP/IPSec
    - Support for PPTP
    - New application profiles
    - About box
    - Donation possibility
    - Minor installer updates

You can download the newest version from http://tinywall.pados.hu/download.php or you can use the built-in updater if you've already got a recent beta installed.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  10. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Odd, the updater does not seem to get updates, keeps telling me that I have the latest version. Can I install it over the top without losing my rules?

11. ultim

ultim Developer

Try again. I forgot to update the "update description file" on the server, but now it'll work.

12. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Got it updated!,

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  13. pintas

pintas Registered Member

Well, i was eager to try it, i've downloaded the RC, installed it, checked all the files to add to the whitelist, none of the files could connect to the internet (actually, nothing connects to the internet), uninstalled it, and now no software connects to the internet. To connect anything, i need to install TinyWall and disable the firewall.

Care to share how i can fix it? :)
    I think it has some potential, but it's clearly too soon for final.

Help me out. I need to remove it and allow my software to connect to the internet.

Edit: Oh, and when i quit TinyWall, it keeps running in background thus not allowing me to uninstall it. I have to disable the startup TinyWall service and .exe, reboot and uninstall.
    I'm using Win 7 x64.

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Did you use the programs own uninstaller?

Did you try in safe mode to uninstall? (no services running then :) )

Have you had a look in device manager to see if it has left anything like miniports ?

Anthing listed in the windows event viewer for when you try to connect?

15. pintas

pintas Registered Member

I've used the default uninstaller.
    No miniports and i found nothing on event viewer.

Edit: Ok! Just uninstalled it using the built in uninstaller in the 'Manage' window and now everything works! :p
    Thanks stapp!

16. ultim

ultim Developer

Hello pintas:
    You MUST uninstall from Manage in the tray app, but I see you've already figured that out.

You say you've whitelisted your apps and they still couldn't connect. Did you click Apply and close the Manage window? Settings are only applied when the Manage window has been closed. You'll get a bubble notification after it applied your settings. Did you get that notification?

17. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Tinywall is not working here. The previous version gave the same error as 1000db, "Tinywall Failed". Windows firewall was running at the time. The new version fails the with the same symptoms but a new error message, "Tinywall service has stopped". While checking the services tab it shows Tinywall as running but stopping for a second every 17 to 19 seconds. The result is my hard drive filling up with 2.7 GB of error messages. I also noticed the Microsoft .NET error reporting shim service running while this is happening, dw20.exe.

I'm running 32 bit Vista Home with MSE and EdgeGuard Solo as the only security apps. .NET 3.5 SP1 is also installed.

18. ultim

ultim Developer

jdd58:
    There should be a crahslog file in C:\ProgramData\TinyWall, can you please send it to me to tinywall[--at--]pados[--dot--]hu. If it is too large, just the first 20-30 lines are enough, but it should be limited to 1MB. Since this crashlog is limited to 1MB, where are the error messages that are filling up your disk?

19. pintas

pintas Registered Member

I did exactly that, and i got the notification. But most (not all, i re-checked) of my programs couldn't connect to the internet. :( Pitty, i really liked it though.

20. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi pintas, plz don't lose faith, I'm still here to solve problems, even if it takes a new release. So some programs did work. Which ones didn't and which profiles did you associate with them?

21. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I am getting about 50 MB of dump files every 17 -19 seconds in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\

Also I do have some Windows services disabled, (not the Firewall service). Are there any services that Tinywall would depend on?

Errorlog sent via email. Thank you.

22. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Windows firewall service and this service depends on the Base Filtering Service. You might make sure both of these are running.

23. ultim

ultim Developer

jdd58 just wrote back to me that the test version I've sent him fixes his problems - thanks to his kind help - , so this is another issue solved. I won't post a fixed version yet since I'm making some further changes, but it shouldn't take too long. I'll be gone for the weekend so I'll try to finish it up before that.

24. NINfan6

NINfan6 Registered Member

Hello,
    3 issues to report:
    1. Auto-detect did not find google chrome and create a rule for it which I think not very user friendly.
    2. For some reason chrome only works with the blind trust profile and not with the web browser profile which I think is a bug.
    3. Windows update is not working even though its allowed in the special exceptions tab

25. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

1.I can't make AIMP player to work for listening online radio.I already whitelist it by executable,by process,by window.Doesn't work.
    2.I wanted to update Burnaware free.I know it has some temp files that asks for connection during install and i wanted to whitelist the installer,so i clicked on it.Tried 3 times already and TinyWall crashes.
    PS.If during Burnaware installation the temp files don't get net connection,the installation fails.
    No problem here,see the screenshot,and neither with Chrome.

And another question,why the Uninstall button is grey out?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.