TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Makora

Makora Registered Member

About tinywall 2.8....

Ok. I have been using tinywall 2.7. Great little controler for windows main firewall. Problems began when I installed version 2.8. It blocked my home network. At first I thought maybe I did something wrong so I check the services and everything was fine.

I uninstall tinywall 2.8 and place back 2.7 and everything is great. Version 2.8 is locking something in windows 8.1 64 version that i can't figure out. I will hold on to tinywall version 2.7. It has serve me well except now and then forget things that is why I always have a backup of my configuration to place back and go on with my day.

Thanks Ultim for such wonderful interface. : )

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I can't think of a reason why that should be. ultim told me that the firewall rules are the same as in posts #905-908 of this thread. That is same as in 2.1.5 version. The windows firewall rules that were disabled are now deleted in this 2.1.8 version.

Myself I don't have a home network so can't help any in that except if you tried the 'Unblock LAN traffic' option.

3. ultim

ultim Developer

I just want to give a short sign of life, and to say sorry for not being reactive to questions and requests. I've been very occupied and stressed, and I'd like to ask everyone for patience. I will be back by next month when I have sorted out my things.

4. Jarmo P

Good to hear you Karoly.

I wanted to edit my reply to Makora too, in saying that I have not noticed TinyWall loosing its rules/settings in latest versions except for once on the rare case I posted here. So he/she (I'm blocking avatars so I can't see gender) might have been doing something outside TW perhaps regarding Windows firewall, just a thought.

5. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Is .NET only required for Vista?... I am looking for a controller that is not .NET dependent for W7.

6. Jarmo P

TinyWall is written with C#, so you must go keep on looking, if .NET is something that you don't like a program to depend on.

7. Herberta

Herberta Registered Member

Hi, I am having problem with TW. It asks for administrative privileges on user or guest accounts. If the user do not have the password all internet access is denied.

Is this solvable?

8. Jarmo P

This has sometimes happened to me too. Could have been after a windows security patch update or whatever, I can't remember.

What I would do is try restart your computer and see if the popup reappears. If it does, I would uninstall TinyWall (after exporting the settings if they are still valid) and install it again.
    I too run standard user account most times.

Above is for my paranoia reason. Might help also to allow the admin account popup. But as told it should not happen IMO in normal run of a computer.

9. Herberta

Thanks Jarmo! I tried both. After reinstall the problem went away temporarily. But it came back.

I am not sure but it might be connected to when the computer suddenly has its reset button pressed by a 2 year old :) I´ll look into physical solutions.

10. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

@ultim

TW 2.1.8
    W10 10586.420

I have noticed when rebooting the system or upon waking a system from sleep - that the network is unavailable (yellow triangle with exclamation mark) for 10 or 15 seconds or so after the TW tray icon appears.

This does not occur with TW uninstalled.

TinyWall needs a plain text log of block events. The way TW works now, a user will probably miss at least a few programs that connect out - for example, wermgr.exe, MRT.exe, etc. Trying to track these down these type of block events without some sort of log is needlessly time consuming - and, consequently - really annoying.

If I uninstall both the Windows Phone and Companion Phone Apps, then TW auto-deletes the Phone App firewall rule while the Companion Phone App rule remains.

Usually, when i uninstall a program, TW will highlight the uninstalled program firewall rule and add a red X to indicate that the program is missing.

TW 2.1.8 will block Windows Mail App after Learning and then enabling Normal mode.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2016
  11. Herberta

I still have problems with TW asking for admin privileges after reboot. I think this might be a bug worth fixing?

12. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

@ultim

TW 2.1.8

If you execute a program that TW blocks network connection, then set TW to Allow Outgoing - TW will continue to block the initially blocked program.

13. Jarmo P

I think this is as intended and should be. From the TinyWall FAQ, http://tinywall.pados.hu/faq.php , a quote:

14. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

15. Jarmo P

Few change desires for you Karoly from me. None too important.

1. Change the data transfer blink to Mbits/s from kB/s
    2. It would be nice able to have a checkbox for Application Exception rules same way as for Special Exceptions. This wish from my fond memories of my fave Kerio 2.1.5 XP firewall. I think it would not add up too much clutter.

Best wishes also and hope you don't stress your mind too much if you can with your new planned change of TinyWall or other stuff. It is almost perfect as a Windows firewall controller firewall now as it is currently.

16. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Can anyone help me with a ping-timeout using OpenVPN when TinyWall is enabled ?

The OpenVPN cert enables split-tunneling with encrypted connections to an Enterprise IP address.

Even when not connected to the Enterprise on-line management console, in the TinyWall blocked connections log, I am getting a System(0) ICMPv4 Out block to the OpenVPN IP address.

I know there are two options on the Manage > Special Exceptions tab:
    • VPN L2TP\IPSec
    • VPN PPTP
    Perhaps enabling one of these options will solve the issue ?

Sorry, not very familiar with VPN networking "mechanics." Instead of tinkering I'd rather get technical infos from someone first so that I better understand...

17. Jarmo P

hjlbx, I am not an expert in VPN technology. But I have used many that are offered for as security in public wifi networks, for country restrictions and stuff like IP blocking. None have caused problems with TinyWall. Except PIA python made client was totally imcompatible with AppGuard that you use too. No way to make it just a power app but none other vpn windows clients have needed any special from AG.

You need allow openVPN.exe frrom the VPN provider program and usually the client program too outbound connections. And thats all really.

I doubt if allowing L2TP or PPTP from TW Special Exception will help you any as they are older less secure protocols than openvpn.

If you are trying making some local VPN network yourself, that I have no knowledge to give help.

18. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Thanks @Jarmo P

Yeah... I tried both with and without AG, but the behavior was the same - ping-timeout. I might or might not have found a minor bug, but can't say for certain without @utilman taking a look.

Anyhow, when he gets back I'm sure he can identify what is amiss very quickly and get it sorted out one way or the other.

It's no big deal; just have to wait until he makes it back...

19. Jarmo P

You dont give much, to know what is your problem, but if it is PIA. Don't know the current state of that ***** program in windows.
    Read this: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/appguard-4-x-32-64-bit.355206/page-133#post-2501757

Notice also the CET's and Peter's replies. Seems noth else would have worked except that AG has it as power apps and more and requiring to have no outgoing blocking firewall. If it is PIA, you have found no bug, except what a sorry client it was and maybe still is for us using some windows security programs.

If that is what you are talking about, well unlike some VPNs it has a reoccurring montly fee, so I recommend cancelling it.

20. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Not using PIA.

Using Enterprise configured OpenVPN with split-tunneling to a private IP\subnet. AppGuard is not the problem - since the OpenVPN is part of AppGuard Enterprise.

The bottom line is that TinyWall causes a ping-timeout and nothing will fix it - using Learning Mode, creating unrestricted in\out-bound firewall rules for OpenVPN, etc.

TinyWall blocks ICMPv4 Out for System(0) to the OpenVPN website. Create an exception rule for System(0) and that rule does not work. Disabling TinyWall also does not fix the issue.

With TinyWall uninstalled everything is fine - OpenVPN works; with it installed OpenVPN gets a ping-timeout. The Blue Ridge Networks server doesn't ping my system, it is my system that has to ping the OpenVPN server for the current VPN session to remain active. Without that intermittent ping from my system, there will be a ping-timeout and the session is terminated.

Out of a few hundred users I'm the only one using TinyWall, and none of the other users experience a ping-timeout with either Windows or a 3rd-party firewall.

21. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

Quick question here:

Can Windows Firewall Notifier be used with Tinywall 2.1.8..?

Windows Firewall Notifier
    xttps://wfn.codeplex.com/

22. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

I wouldn't. The last time I tried WFN, I regretted it. WFN development is slow and inconsistent. Besides, I think using both together might cause problems.

23. Herberta

So I am still having problems with TW demanding admin privilege for outer users than the admin-users. Is the fixable?

24. Is it compatible with Win10 Anniversary Update? Meaning I can install it fresh on Win10AU

25. Thanks will give it a spin again in a few weeks, now using audit function and eventmanager

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.