TinyWall Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ultim, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ultim

ultim Developer

What I meant is, for programs that want to use the internet, in some way. You might want to have a XAMPP installation, for example. Web servers do not work without incoming connections. Same is true for a lot of other programs, some chat protocols, multimedia gaming servers and so on.

svchost belongs to the category of "Special Exceptions" and TinyWall will not learn exceptions for it. TinyWall will not learn rules for programs that have special exceptions, so it will not automatically create inbound (or outbound) rules for svchost.

Although I agree in theory, in the real world there are many programs that do not work without inbound connections. TinyWall must make sure that it is easily possible to use any kind of program. Torrent clients are also affected, even if they work when inbound connections are denied, you will usually get higher download speeds if you allow incoming connections. But many programs need incoming connections to even basically work.

Anyway, a user can visit the list of exceptions after auto-learning and remove inbound rights and make rules tighter. This is still much more easier than creating the rules from scratch in the first place.

It can register the new rule but it will be immediately removed by TinyWall after that. There are a few milliseconds of an open time-window before the new rule is removed.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. ultim

ultim Developer

The latest beta seems pretty good to me. I guess I can make the next release the final 2.0. There is just a single bug report to investigate.

3. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

The new version is running good. It seems the rules are to loose by allowing * Outbound. Why cant you have the tighter rules (Http (S)) by default, and the * Outbound as second choice?
    Now I have to delete everything found by TW and set tighter rules.

4. Melf

Melf Registered Member

Just thought I'd jog your memory on this feature request. This will be a kind of holy grail I think, getting the best out of usability and security. Still planning to implement it?

5. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I got a new connection. It has an USB stick connection that does not have a router. So I noticed it needed totally new rules than my former cable connection.

Witn my new internet connection i have also a a new cable modem connection. And TW now shows "Current zone: Public" after i answered to some prompt.

I am not knowing if the new cable modem is in a router mode or if it even has one. But if so, should the zone be private instead?

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I'm looking for a firewall that blocks ads and malicious IP addresses but allows some configuration. Will this added to windows firewall do that?

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

No, but it does have an option to use a hosts file that has your needs.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks for the info - I'm looking for a firewall that can blacklist sites automatically from updates

9. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I use PeerBlock to block "ads and malicious IP". Plus it can block some or all the countries that you want, with Tinywall it's a sweet combination.

10. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

that's the combo i'm running at present - runs real well on win server 2008. this is a nice little firewall :)

11. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Suggestion, in the application exception window, show the rule next to the program. Thanks.

12. ultim

ultim Developer

There seem to be an issue where the computer cannot connect to some WLANs if TinyWall is installed and the latest Windows updates are applied. I can reproduce the problem but I am unable to find what I need to whitelist. If I whitelist svchost.exe as whole it works fine again, but of course I want to find the specific service that is responsible for it (instead of having to whitelist basically all Windows services). Has anybody has any clues what needs to be whitelisted? This is a must-fix/figure-out before a release is made. :(

13. ultim

ultim Developer

TinyWall will keep your hosts file automatically up-to-date (once I re-enable the update server when releasing v2), but PeerBlock is surely a much more sophisticated solution. PeerBlock is able to block more hosts because it works completely differently and it also allows you selectively use certain/multiple lists. Its lists are also updated more often.

The hosts-based solution of TinyWall is a generic solution that will perform well without compromises, but for advanced users or security enthusiasts I definetely recommend PeerBlock. TinyWall and PeerBlock supplement each other very well.

14. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

I know you are busy, but I hope you release the new version soon. MVPS HOSTS has been [Updated May-23-2012]. :)

15. m0unds

m0unds Guest

i was testing/configuring multiple APs yesterday and encountered an issue where it would hang on "identifying", then classify the network as "public" and fail to grab an IP via DHCP - is this the same issue you're talking about?

16. ultim

ultim Developer

If it works again correctly when TinyWall is in Disabled mode (grey icon), then yes, it seems to be the same issue. If you are not worried about Windows' own services accessing the internet, then the easy workaround for now is to whitelist svchost.exe.

17. sysinfo

sysinfo Registered Member

I think this is solved now - couldn't sleep, so I played the WLAN/TinyWall/Services/Process Hacker juggling game.

Short version: disconnect from WLAN (gets you to public profile management in TinyWall.) Create a new exception for TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (lmhosts) and allow outgoing UDP and TCP traffic. Do not restrict it to local network. At least for me, I can now connect to my router and have the network identified immediately. Interesting part is that this rule is required even if you disable the lmhosts service. o_O

Longer version: Without the rule in place, the connection process stalls after attempting to talk netbios with the router:
    Code:
    Connection history
    -----
    UDP	68	0.0.0.0		67	255.255.255.255	Out
    IGMP	0	192.168.1.2	0	224.0.0.22	In
    HOPOPT	0	224.0.0.22	0	192.168.1.2	In
    UDP	[53533]	192.168.1.2	5355	224.0.0.252	In
    HOPOPT	5355	224.0.0.252	[53533]	192.168.1.2	In
    [port 53533 varies, is a dynamic port]
    UDP	137	192.168.1.2	137	192.168.1.1	In
    HOPOPT	137	192.168.1.1	137	192.168.1.2	In
    UDP	137	192.168.1.1	137	192.168.1.2	In
    HOPOPT	137	192.168.1.2	137	192.168.1.1	In
    ...zZz... then finally DHCP offer comes through!
    UDP	68	192.168.1.2	67	255.255.255.255	Out
    If you disable lmhosts, the system process seems to take on the port 137 communication process, but you still need the lmhosts exception. I tried a rule that allowed in/out TCP/UDP traffic for lmhosts only on port 137 with no success, though I'm not sure why it didn't work. Someone else want to try adding the exception to their public TinyWall ruleset and see if that helps?

Edit: whoops, didn't think the attachments would be inline.
    Connection list without the rule in place
    Rule added, lmhosts service set to Automatic
    Rule added, lmhosts service disabled
    Working exception config
    Failed rule attempt #1
    Failed rule attempt #2

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  18. m0unds

m0unds Guest

gotcha - that worked w/my laptop connecting to a VPN gateway AP at work.

19. ultim

ultim Developer

Wow, that really seems to be it. I can confirm (that at least on my laptop) this solves the issue. I'd never have thought that it is because of this service (even after seeing port 137) because NetBIOS over TCP is disabled on my computer - not the service itself, but in the TCP/IP adapter configuration dialog. Anyway, this seems to work.

TECHNICAL RANT:
    As a side note, you mention that it does not work if you only allow outgoing. For me, it already works if I allow *only* UDP outgoing packet. Which is strange enough alone, because I can hardly imagine that UDP packets are usefull (in this scenario) without being able to receive any replies. But wait, it gets stranger! I started cross-referencing the default exceptions of the factory-default Windows Firewall, and the lmhosts service is not whitelisted anywhere. Port 137 is whitelisted, but for "System", not for any service specifically. WTF?

And here's a second, even bigger WTF! lmhosts really must not be restricted to the local network, so it obviously is not needed to talk to your router (which is on the local net). So what is it for? Also of note, that this problem/issue only seems to exist since the Windows Updates of last month, so this is some newly introduced behavior. And, as noted both by sysinfo and me, it even exists if the service is disabled, either shut down completely or in configuration.
    END OF RANT

Either way, although I'm pretty convinced that MS has done some messy things in their last updates, I cannot do anything but live with it and make a default special rule in TinyWall for it.

The only thing left to figure out is the minimum amount of privileges needed. For me it works if I give it UDP out only, but sysinfo reports that more is needed. Could you make some more tests maybe?

20. sysinfo

sysinfo Registered Member

Ok, now I think it's fixed - here's hoping. I hadn't tried "*" for UDP out, and that does work. I did some tests with different port ranges, and you have to allow Out UDP on port 67 for the lmhosts service. "But that's a DHCP port!" (well, that's what I said anyway.) And yes, it is but it's what lmhosts needs. I had only tried port 137 before since that's the netbios talk port. Why it works this way, I have no idea. Also, I think that maybe it needs to not be restricted to the local network because at the start of the connection process, you have no IP so the firewall sees the DHCP connections as 0.0.0.0 talking to 255.255.255.255?

Whatever the case, the rule below works now for me and seems to be the least privileged exception.

LMhosts UDP rule

Edit: maybe found the cause of the change as well: Microsoft KB2688338 from May 8th, changed how Windows Firewall handles outbound broadcast packets. (CVE entry)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  21. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

22. ultim

ultim Developer

Hi sysinfo,

When I wrote earlier about MS having done some messy things in their recent updates, I have to take that back, because now it makes perfect sense. I should have figured this one out by myself, but I didn't put enough time into investigating it. Instead you invested your time and I am very thankful to you for that.

23. ultim

ultim Developer

24. Melf

Melf Registered Member

I think this is the same idea that we discussed a month or two ago:

Did you mean, it's not possible in the current version, or not actually possible/feasible to implement at all? I am really hanging out for something with this feature :(

25. ultim

ultim Developer

I meant it is not possible in the current version. Technically it sure is possible, but don't hold your breath. Now that TinyWall only creates inbound rules when necessary, this is not high on my todo-list right now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.