Beta for Next Version of Microsoft Security Essentials Now Available

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Does any one know of a beta forum for MSE? cant find one only the download link.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes. That option hasn't changed.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can submit feedback on the Feedback Submission area of the download link.

No beta forum yet.

4. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

oh ok thank you. yeah i saw that too.

are you testing it? What do you think so far? so far i like it. has a nice gui face lift.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Yes. So far, so good. :)

6. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Can it clean virus in a short time?
    Can it heal the files which are damaged by virus better?
    How are its CPU usage and momery usage when it scans computer and clean virus?

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I suppose beta programs are offered to answer such questions.

8. icr

icr Registered Member

Installed on my Win7 system 32bit running smooth till now. This is first time I have even tried MSE:)

9. justenough

justenough Registered Member

x64 version running smoothly so far.:thumb:

10. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

x64 also seems very stable here. But I have to say I liked the old blue color scheme more than this grey one.

They haven't improved memory usage. Instead they even added a process Network Inspection System.
    A total of 78 (Antimalware) + 7 (Interface) + 3 (Network Inspection System) MB of RAM usage.

When it is scanning the memory usage is actually lower :S (74 MB).
    But it is quite heavy on CPU using around 40%.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  11. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

The new scheme uses the artwork from their commercial offering - Forefront.
    MSE is only perceived as a light-weight app, due to its simplicity. In the performance test conducted by Raymond, I filtered the results for all major freebies - avast!, Antivir, AVG and MSE. Guess who scored worst - MSE by a huge huge margin. And surprise of surprises, AVG and avast! almost tied for the first place. Never expected that from AVG.
    Anyway, the new beta version of MSE still suffers from the bug where it spikes the CPU when opening folders with executables. Still delays the appearance of icons in Start Menu and Add-Remove programs.

12. iravgupta

Addition of script scanner and network inspection system - is Microsoft trying to emulate avast!?
    And this comes after post upon post in MSE forums where the experts tried to convince the public that MSE does not need a dedicated web, mail or network scanning modules.

13. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

It is true that MSE ain't the lightest, but on W7 x64 it never felt heavy here. But this beta surely is more heavy than version 1.

In my eyes it ain't that surprising that AVG is that light. Version 9 is really a great program in my opinion, they just need to improve detection against zero-day malware with some kind of new feature (behavior-based or reputation-based or whatever) (which will be improved in version 10) and add full anti-rootkit.. I always perceived AVG 9 as really light. The fact people think it is heavy still dates from their version 8.
    In fact I prefer AVG above avast! and Avira and Panda Cloud. Together with MSE AVG is my favourite freebie. Panda Cloud was really promising, but untill now it never fixed the problems I had with it. Also MSE 2 might have some better detection, but it also still has the same problems. I don't like avast! 5, although I loved avast! 4.8. And Avira has always been my least favourite freebie due to its big ads (I respect products as they come, so I won't do tricks to remove the ads) and it's update problems, despite it's good detection (also 10 is weaker than 9).
    So when my ESET subscription ends and version 5 doesn't come with great improvements, my pc welcomes AVG Free 10.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I know it's hard to do but, let's stay on the thread topic and avoid comparisons with other programs.

15. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i dont see any option for enable network protection o_O
    mse.GIF

16. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I never knew that you were a compassionate mod. It's a compliment ronjor, take no offense :D. I'm sorry for being out of topic.

Anyway, I tested MSE last night in a virtual 32 bit Windows 7 operating system and I can report that it is was kind of heavy in terms of its ram usage. I was able to identify three processes: msseces.exe (MSE Client User Interface) 5.204 K, NisSrv.exe (Microsoft Network Inspection System) 7.752 K, and MsMpEng.exe (Anti Malware Service Executable) a whopping 159,176 K. All while MSE was scanning, maybe it's a good thing when idle.

In terms of detection I can also report that it is quite great. I tested about 20 malware links and MSE detected all of them (100% detection, :D) while IE 8 assisted a lot, quite impressive for a browser. The downside was that MSE left quite a few executables behind, about 6. The cleaning needs a bit more work. Report more later maybe a video. :D.

Thanks.

17. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Probably Vista/7 only?

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Restart your computer. If it still doesn't show, try a reinstall on top.

19. iravgupta

Bingo

20. cupez80

alreadt tried that. maybe its only on win7/vista.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Which operating system are you using?

22. cupez80

windows xp sp3

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks. I suppose that's the difference.

24. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

The normal MSE forum can be used to talk about the beta. It is currently that way now.

25. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I don't know about you guys but I really can't feel any slowdowns with this version.
    It's really working great, guess they have done something good regarding perfomance issues.
    I'm gonna stick with MSE for sure, unless something dramatic occur (performance wise)

And network scanner actually works (tested several malicious scripts) :thumb:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.