beta 1b using more resources than beta 1a

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by sach1000rt, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sach1000rt

sach1000rt Registered Member

Today i uninstalled beta 1a and installed beta 1b.
    Though there is no problem in system performance after installing beta 1b
    But it is clear that it is using around 44mb to 48mb of RAM while beta 1a used around 34 to 36mb of RAM.
    Anyone having the same?

2. thezman

thezman Registered Member

yep mine is using about 42 right now.. big jump 1a was using about 35 or so before.. if it gets much higher i cant really say its light anymore.. seems also like with 1b my system has a bit more lag than before.. not anything at all bad just doesnt seem quite as responsive as 1a was.. i only have about a hour with it so far so ill wait and see... i dont want another bloteware suite so i hope they keep it light...

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , it seems that 1b uses more resourses . I reported it to ESET hoping it was my fault but it seems you see the same . My usage varies from 33 to 37 Mb (previously it was 27 on my computer)

However , I can't say the same . It runs lightly here. No lag with any version including beta 1b

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I just finised my full scan with ESS and noticed ekrn.exe turned to 25,268 and with about 1 for the GUI . Very strange but good :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

5. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I do not think it is so important whether it takes 30 or 40 MB of RAM, anyway, it will differ from PC to PC, OS to OS and even during one session it can go up and down dramatically. What concerns me much more is the impact on CPU and HDD, this is what I think makes it lightweight or not.

6. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Very true Abeltje, the RAM usage is going to differ greatly sometimes due to many factors, including just what the IMOM, AMON and so on are doing in the background also. Plus remember, they stated that this build has more Firewall features turned on so of course there will be a slight jump in resources used.
    In todays systems, 40MB's of RAM usage is nothing and a jump from 36 to 42-44MB is not at all anything I would even consider as significant...I mean, 6 to 10 MB more is a drop in the bucket.
    Now it would be a very different story if it made a 60 to 100MB jump in a service build such as this.

And again, Abeltje is right, I'm more concerned if I see a high CP usage than a small jump in RAM usage. High CPU usage will degrade performance faster than a little jump in RAM will, so that's what I'll be monitoring mostly on this new build.

Dave

7. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I can confirm that Beta1b uses about 9 more megs than Beta1a (on my comp), but I don't see that as a big deal and I certainly don't notice any performance hit.

8. pp965

pp965 Registered Member

Where's beta 1b ? I would like to download.
    Thank you

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. X3ro

X3ro Registered Member

it seems to me that background scan don't go to low priority 'cause in 1 and 1a I clearly remember the HDD activity and overall system lag. In 1b they are bigger

PS. can't update 1b through Squid :( what ports I must open in the config ? 8081 is open already...

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

You can find the beta test version of ESET Smart Security on ESET's web site at http://www.eset.com/beta/.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. pp965

pp965 Registered Member

Thank you Ronjor.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Just to report that recently I noticed ESS beta 1b , after applying all its updates , uses less RAM than the first days when it was publised .

Here on my Win XP Pro SP1 it hardly gets 25 Mb for the ekrn.exe (shown by the Task manager)

As already discussed it is not so important when the program has always run fast and smooth but just to let you know . I guess you see the same or ... :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.