Best Xfce distro of 2016

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I really appreciate your warm words towards Xfce; the more I test other DEs the more I feel the comfort of something simple yet full featured, intuitive yet configurable, and oh so snappy in use. If I had to chose only two it would be Xfce and KDE; only one? the X then.

Thanks for the article.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Why didn't Mint 18 Sarah Xfce get the nod or disqualify 17.3 from consideration?

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Because I just didn't get to test it really. Only so much time.
    Mrk

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Okey-dokey.

6. guest

guest Guest

Thanks for the list. Recently switched over to Linux as my main boot, started with Debian (standard environment) and it was brutal. I am enjoying Debian XFCE a lot more right now, about a week in. Still learning the ins-and-outs of Linux. I had read that if I were to start with any distribution, it would be Debian to get a feel for "true" Linux. I am mostly doing computer science and have VBox set up for some danger testing. Any benefits/further stability from Mint/Manjaro/Xubuntu over Debian?

Worth noting that I have a custom built PC, had to remove my Soundblaster Z entirely and use my Hero VII on-board audio instead. Took me about 5-6 reinstalls to get the GTX 980 drivers working properly as well.

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Ubuntu based on Debian is easy for newcomers to Linux.

OpenSUSE based on RPM, is a rock-solid distro for everyday use.

8. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

Can anyone tell me how to change the startup background on xfce, the one that appears behind the user/password dialog-box at the session start?
    Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.