Best WYSIWYG Website Creator?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Coolio10, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I was previously using WYSIWYG Web Builder but it is very bad at reading html code and changed many fonts/colours of texts of the website i was updating.

What do you think is the best WYSIWYG website creation software?

I am just guessing most will probably say dreamweaver. And yes it has to be WYSIWYG, i have no idea how to use html.

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

DreamWeaver is one of the best indeed, though I prefer using the old good Microsoft Office Frontpage 2003.
    You may want to check Kompozer, it's a nice freeware http://kompozer.net/

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, Dreamweaver is the big gorilla in the room and the new Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 was introduced a little more than a month ago; still as expensive as ever. I'm still using Dreamweaver MX, which is part of Macromedia Studio MX.

emperordarius came up with the freebie I was about to suggest and there's a Portable Version of it, should you want to try it without installing it.

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Adobe Dreamweaver is good but like JRViejo said, it is expensive. If you go to a university here in the US, you might be able to get a free copy of Microsoft Expression Web. It is as good as Dreamweaver, IMHO.

5. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I just read XSitePro is also suppose to be well-known. Is it any good?

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Notepad++
    Bluefish

Mrk

7. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

8. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Another vote for Nvu here.
    If i can use it, then anyone can :thumb:

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Dreamweaver IS good, but is now rather complex.

As someone who edits web pages on a daily basis (Im a Web Developer by trade for 8 years) IMHO it more efficient to learn a bit of HTML/CSS (enough to be able to debug/tweak/improve).
    I find using WYSIWYG is great for quick mock-up and prototyping (and Dreamweaver, Bluefish, NVU and Komposer are all good for this), especially when generating images from artwork; but then when you get to the details - fine tuning layout to the pixel, more complex layouts, WYSIWYG can become more of a hindrance than a help and going in and editing the HTML and CSS by hand becomes the quickest most accurate way.

My past experience is that Frontpage sucks, for me and for other site editors (techy and non techy). Older versions suck more, newer versions suck far less frequently. I have not tried any of the Expression stuff
    Dreamweaver is great, but since Adobe took Macromedia over I have found it getting more cluttered and cluttered.

Cheers, Nick

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

nickr, that's the main reason why I hesitate to move away from Macromedia Studio MX and as you learn more CSS & HTML, one finds that WYSIWYG can get in the way, as you rightly pointed out.

Coolio10, learning a little HTML & CSS will help you more. To get you started, here's an HTML Tutorial and a CSS Tutorial from the W3Schools, all free of course.

11. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

"NVU 1.0, released in June 2005, is the last official release that you will find at most download sites, however, it isn't the newest or best version of the Nvu software. An unofficial bugfix/update called "KompoZer" is available here. KompoZer fixes some of the major bugs and annoyances found in Nvu 1.0.

http://net2.com/nvu/download.html"

12. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

So Kompozer is the next NVU! Thanks for the info:thumb:

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

14. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Hi Coolio. Html isn't that hard. Here's a website that will guide you step by step concerning html code. It's simple really. The author of the site will show you how to build a webpage step by step. You will build a sample web page with graphics that he provides. He will show you before hand what the website will look like when you're finished. Couldn't be easier. He calls himself "Wise Old Man"

Here's a link to the html tutorial. He will want you to download "html-kit" which is free. However, you can use notepad if you like. Their are many html tutorials on the web. However, this is the only one that I've found where the author takes you by the hand and you build a 1 page site step by step.

Here's the link. http://wise-old-man.com/htmltutorial/

15. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.