best way to utilise Acronis?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jiggo, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiggo

Jiggo Registered Member

hi, new here

someone told me to get Acronis to do back up of my HDD in case it stuffs up.
    i havent gotten Acronis yet, so im interested to know a few things before i do.

he said, make a back up, and then store it on a separate HDD, and then in future, if ever need, use that back up (on separate HDD) to restore everything back to where it was.

is that how to use Acronis?

i currently have 320GB HDD that has 2 partitions, 1 for windows and installin programs, other partition is for data etc.

so do you make back up of only c drive, which has windows and programs installed? or do you make a back up of both partitions? or back up separately? or what?

i was told that burning to dvd or disc sometimes does not work and cant restore back up?

any info would help me decide what product to get for back up.

cheers

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

A starting point would be to review my guides listed below. Forum search can be very helpful.

3. Jiggo

Jiggo Registered Member

thanks for guides.

in the "restore" guide, it says:

"To restore an entire disk, a prior backup archive (image) of the entire disk is needed. All partitions (visible or hidden) must be included within the image."

2 questions:

1) so if i wanted to buy a new HDD, i would be able to use that back up archive with all the partitions, and restore things back to when the image was created?

2) what happens when you dont create an image of all partitions?
    cant use backup image on a brand new HDD?

or can you only use Acronis to restore current HDD and not a brand new HDD?

cheers

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Yes

Yes you can use it on a new HD but you will not have your restore or diagnostic partitons available if needed.

No, you can restore to a replacment HD See How to restore to a replacement hard drive. Browse the Sticky Product Links, FAQs & Useful Forum Threads (updated June 29th 2007) for lots of information.

5. dseaver

dseaver Registered Member

6. Jiggo

Jiggo Registered Member

thanks thomasjk, now i get it =]

dseaver - with the Clone disk method, you would need both the old and new HDD connected to the computer at the same time? is that right?

cheers...

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Yes and that in itself introduces a risk element. So I do restores instead up front [​IMG]

Xpilot

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Jiggo,
    By haviing a full disk backup, you increase your options as to what can be done with it.

Options include Restoring everything to a new disk or just restoring a single partition (system or data) should the situation demand. Likewise, if your backup only include some of the partitions, then upgrading to a new drive becomes difficult with individual specialized problems. A full backup is simple and easy to do--just tick the "Disk" option.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jiggo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Clone Disk tool of Acronis True Image is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk) and you should have both drives (source and target) plugged to your computer to perform cloning.

Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes and using this option allows you to create a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes. Using this backup archive you will be able to restore the system to the moment of backup creation should the disaster happen.

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

There are several advantages of creating an image over the disk cloning procedure such as: you can create an image without rebooting your PC, image creation can be scheduled for the particular point in time, Acronis True Image allows you to create incremental and differential images, image archive contains only the actual data and so it has a smaller size, images are ordinary files and so they can be stored on any type of the supported media, etc. However, the final choice is always up to your needs.

The detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image can be found in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. Jiggo

Jiggo Registered Member

thanks for replies =]

gettin Acronis this week...

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.