Best Way To Launch Non-Default Browser In Separate Sandbox

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by huntnyc, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Running my defualt browser, Opera, in default sandbox but would like to easily launch IE 8 in separate sandbox, like with one click. Is there any way to do this? Right now under Sandboxie menu I sleect the IE sandob I created and clcik run any program and type in iexplore.exe but would like something more automatic. Thanks for your help.

Gary

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello Gary

If you have the paid version, you can simply force IE to open in it's own SB.
    Then you're away with just one click from quick launch.
    I have the same set up with Opera/IE.

HTH

philby

3. huntnyc

Have paid verison but could you just elaborate a little on this? Do you run Opera in default box? Then, how do you customize separate sandbox for IE and then command it to run in that box and thanks.

Gary

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You can go to menu: Sandbox-> Create new sandbox, then create one and name it whatever you like, such as "IE8". Then, Configure-> Windows shell integration-> Add shortcut icons, choose the sandbox you just created, OK, then a menu will appear from which you can select your IE8 shortcut icon or program.

All this is possible in the paid version but I don't think it is in the freebie.

5. huntnyc

Thank you both. That is what I was looking for. Wonderful!

Gary

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You are welcome!

7. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello again Gary

Right click SB control icon
    Select Show Window

Click Sandbox on top bar
    Create New Sandbox and name it

The new box will now show in the window.

Right click it
    Select Sandbox Settings
    Select Program Start
    Select Forced Programs and add iexplore.exe

That should do the trick, but you may have to then allow other .exe files to start (eg for your pdf reader), by adding them under Restrictions > Start/Run Access.

philby

8. huntnyc

Thanks again.

Gary

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Maybe, maybe not. Is that what the OP wants, to force IE8 in a separate sandbox? If this is the case, is it not easier to simply add IE to the Forced programs list in the current Default box? I see yours and Philby's logic here, but this (Forced IE8 ) may not be desired.

10. huntnyc

Yes, I wanted a separate sandbox with slightly different settings where I exclusively use IE 8 for certain things only. These settings are different from my defualt box settings. Thanks again.

Gary

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I here ya and certainly forcing it sandboxed is my preference as well :) I was just trying to discern what specifically was wanted by the OP because not everyone wants to force their browsers to the sandbox. Anyways, it looks like he/she is satisfied with the solution and that's what matters most.

12. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

BTW, I find Sandboxie's launching of default web browser significantly slower than forcing a browser to be sandboxed.

Sandboxed Web Browser icon on desktop = :thumbd: considerably slower launch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.