Best way to check VPN speeds?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Tipsy, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

A lot of people talk about VPN speeds when deciding which VPNs are better.
    But what are the best ways to decide what the correct speed is?

For downloads, for example, the speed that really counts in the end is the speed from the destination website server back to your computer.
    If you use Speedtest.net, it only measures the first part of the travel, from a server usually close to the VPN (Speedtest chooses, using ping) to the VPN. (I think.)
    That measurement leaves out the travel from the VPN back to your computer.

So are there better ways to easily and practically improve the measurement and make it more useful?

(Sorry if this was discussed before. Please just point me to the discussion if so. I tried searching but not finding it.)

2. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

AirVPN Windows client allows to make a speedtest, but I never did it because my bottleneck is my ISP connection anyway, so I do not care too much about VPN speed.

3. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

You can run http://www.speedtest.net/ on which ever VPN provider you wish, you can ask VPN providers now aday's for a trial and test for yourself.

While speed matters, it also kills

So Privacy should always come first, if you find one with good privacy and good speeds like Airvpn for example then its happy days.

4. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

What method you use has to be the same for comparing different VPNs. Right?
    Using a speedtest on one VPN's own client does not help for checking the competitor's VPN speeds.

5. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

Like I said in the OP, speedtest only measures part of the distance.
    If the VPN server is far from your location, the speedtest test does not consider the whole speed. That is why I ask about better test methods.

I agree privacy should be a top criteria, but it is not the only thing.
    Price, how easy to use, how good the support, etc there are other things to consider that you should not ignore, depend of course on what you use the service for.

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I use SecurityKiss VPN and test the speed the usual way, performing my normal internet activity. The speed is the same as my slowpoke ISP so it's great (actually faster but can't exceed the ISP;)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.