Best variant of Chromium ?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ReverseGear, Oct 30, 2011.

?

Which 1 ?

1. Chromium

7.3%
  2. Google Chrome

54.5%
  3. Srware Iron

18.2%
  4. Chromeplus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Comodo Dragon

14.5%
  6. Other

5.5%
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I really don't get the appeal of SRWare Iron.

Not even an issue. You just uncheck the boxes that have to do with this. Chrome doesn't even create that user ID anymore.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Gonna give build 4952 a try to see if there's still that annoying bug :D

PS. Still has the bug T_T

3. Francis93

Francis93 Registered Member

Chrome Dev :thumb:

4. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Chrome Dev is starting to get on my nerves :mad: . The bug is still there for third straight update, i can not drag & drop sites in the New Tab Page as i'm supposed to, and also i can not play videos in a web tv channel that i wanted to watch earlier today

5. Francis93

Francis93 Registered Member

Bugs are always anticipated for developer releases. :D If bugs are still persistent, you might want to get in contact with Chrome Developers.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Or just get Stable/Beta versions, as it says it's a "Developer" (To be honest that's more like just a gimmick name :D) but still they name it that way for a reason :rolleyes:

7. Hungry Man

Dev channel is so that developers know what the browser will look like and can prepare for it.

I'm on it now because I'm always curious to see how it'll be in a month or two. The only bug I've noticed is the one on Wilders. Otherwise it's been fine.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's not at all a gimmick. It's meant specifically for testers. The assumption is that the user base gets wider going from hourly to nightly to dev to beta. They want experienced users to "test" the dev version (and other versions) and provide feedback. The wider the user base, the more the chance of feedback. If there's more feedback, the stable (release) version will presumably be better than it would be without testing.

Again, it's not a gimmick.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well that was just a thought :D

10. Hungry Man

Yep.

Stable Chrome has crash feedback etc off by default.
    Beta/Dev have crash feedback etc on by default.

11. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Is there a such thing as stable version of Chromium, and where can i find it?

12. progress

progress Guest

Well done Chrome :D Maybe I will try it again in a few months ... Is there an adblock plugin which blocks ads (like Firefox ABP)? :doubt:

13. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

ABP maybe? lol

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

ABP ~ Chrome Web Store

Personally I don't rate the ABP for Chrome as highly as the Firefox version, & like most Chrome extensions, it isn't really as sophisticated. It misses a lot of ads in my experience. However, I believe that there is an experimental version that can be used after enabling the Experimental Extension APIs in 'about:flags'.

But remember ...

WARNING These experimental features may change, break or disappear at any time. We make absolutely no guarantees about what may happen if you turn one of these experiments on, and your browser may even spontaneously combust. Jokes aside, your browser may delete all your data or your security and privacy could be compromised in unexpected ways. Any experiments that you enable will be enabled for all users of this browser. Please proceed with caution.

Alternatively, stay with Firefox & learn how to use something like NoScript &/or RequestPolicy.

Or use SRWare Iron which has an internal adblocker that utilises Fanboy's List. Although it is an excellent adblocker, it is impossible to easily switch on & off, & needs the UAC to be turned off temporarily when it is installed.

Yer pays yer money ... yer takes yer choice ... (or not in the case of freeware) ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

16. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

i find comodo dragon to be the best chromium based bowser,been using it since it came out,have always steered clear of google chrome!!

17. Daveski17

Can it use Chrome extensions now? I'm interested in the proxy servers it claims to utilise when you download it, what's that all about? Or am I mistaken about this?

18. progress

progress Guest

That was my experience as well :doubt: I read that it only hides (not block!) the ads but I really can't believe that ... :doubt:

19. Daveski17

I'm not sure when the experimental version goes mainstream. Either way, I doubt whether it will be as effective as the Firefox version. AFAIK ABP for Chrome actually blocked the ads, I may be wrong about this however. It just wasn't very good at it. Iron's adblocking is excellent, but it has its own problems. Mainly in that it is a pain in the arse to install & can't easily just be turned off.

20. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

So, i guess the "stable version" is the one that works better for you. I used Chromium for a couple of months and i think is pretty stable even for everyday use. It has its bugs and annoyances but so does Chrome Dev. Thanks Vasa!

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I vote Google Chrome, the original one. I always try the official version first, then others.

Google Chrome is the only one with working Adobe Flash built-in the portable version. Even works on my school's network drive.

22. Hungry Man

The stable build should be out sometime in December I believe. Maybe January at the latest.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Sometimes the regular Chromium (Nightly builds or i would say more like hourly builds :D) have some bugs that takes MONTHS to get fixed that's the con :D
    And also sometimes they are not as smooth as the stable versions when rendering websites due to their dev nature. So i would recommend Stable Chrome or Beta at most but personally i love the hourly builds which is my main browser :D

24. arsenaloyal

Yes you can use chrome extensions with comodo dragon,it does not use any proxies,but instead you have the option of enabling comodo secure dns,just with the browser or on the pc as well for safer browsing.

i have it enabled with just comodo dragon.

25. arsenaloyal

i dont use chrome because it does not give me full control whilst installing,it installs in users folder instead of program files (windows),creates a start-up item without any warning,keeps running the google update process in the background even when chrome is not running,although there is a workaround for all of it,its shady practice and comodo and srware are better alternatives!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.