Best Truecrypt Setup to allow Data-Recovery

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Northwood Computer, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Northwood Computer

Northwood Computer Registered Member

Hi all

I have a customer with a RAID 5, 3 disk file storage only setup, with only TC partitions.
    The whole lot recently died, and unlike a regular NTFS drive, I can't use data-recovery software on the drives (I mean FileSystem helpers, not software to try and crack the encryption), as the recovery software sees nothing but bits of RAIDed, encrypted partitions, no individually recoverable files.

We are going to start again from scratch, but want to try and avoid this problem in future.

I was thinking that NTFS partitions, with a number of large TC-containers for the top-level directories, would help somewhat here, so if we had the same problem again, the data-recovery software could at least see/recover some of those large containers.

- On a seperate note, I thought this might make encrypted backup to cloud based services easier, as I could just backup the pre-made containers, rather than having TC partitions that would need to be dumped in to new containrers before uploading for backup.

Anyone know of a better way? Pros/cons of this way?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.