Best, stable router for p2p, bittorrent

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SccRazor, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SccRazor

SccRazor Registered Member

Hi
    I was using linksys WRT54G for 6 years now but got problems with doping connection. 2.4 GHZ is pretty crowded in my area and been thinking about dual band routers as I have still 2 laptops connecting via old wi fi adapters.
    Got also 2 mobile phones on the network (both n adapters), PS3 and laptop with n adapter used for live HD streaming (SC2).
    On top of that I am running bittorrent which is occasionally slowing the entire network down, depending on the number of downloads/connections.

Thinking it is time for upgrade.
    Reading a lot recently and been thinking about those 3 routers:
    1. ESR750H
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/XtraRange-D...2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1360443953&sr=1-2-catcorr
    2. ASUS RT-N56U
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-N56...eaming/dp/B004TPWRSK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    3. ASUS RT-N66U
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=240112507&pf_rd_i=RT-NGGU

I like the ASUS Download Master software, on the RT-N56U which manages downloads and continues even if the PC is switched off. Not sure if RT-N66U supports that as well.
    Heard a lot about ASUS having unstable connection. not sure if thats true or not.

Please advice.
    I count on your experience guys.
    Which one of those 3 should I buy and why?
    Shall I look somewhere else? budget around 100£ can spend more if it is worth it.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Let me ask you a different question - how much torrenting do you plan on doing?
    You can max. any router, depends how many uploads, downloads and connections.
    Do you know what's your expected usage?

My experience on a 12mb/1mb line, with 2-3 downloads and 4-5 uploads at the same time, with upload capped at 50% total bandwidth, and around 500 connections, WRT54GL handles ok. You can feel some latency increase in overall response, but it's fairly manageable.

Mrk

3. SccRazor

Let's say there were days where I was downloading around 10 large files uploading 5, with 50mb line, max I noticed was aprox 1000 connections.
    Have to use torrent at night due to heavy lags.

Can't do anything else while torrent is operating and it is the biggest pain. Also connections tend to slow down from time to time even if I am not downloading anything and have to reset the router or in case of mobile devices, i have to reconnect again. Watching twitch tv on mobiles is not always possible due to clogging line.

Could this be something else? OR is it time for new router?

There is a lot of networks around me operating on 2.4 GHZ which is not helping.

4. Mrkvonic

Well, the G model was shown not to be the best choice for p2p.
    GL was much better, although with your throughput it might struggle.
    Mrk

5. SccRazor

Have you had any experience with those listed in the first post?

Which one would you choose?

6. Mrkvonic

Of those listed, N66.
    Mrk

7. SccRazor

Why is this one better?

8. Mrkvonic

You asked what I would choose - not if it's "the best" :)
    I went with what I think would offer the best performance.
    Mrk

9. od1

od1 Registered Member

I too am looking for the best router for use with bittorrent. The RT-N66U looks like it's rated very highly, and in the reviews people say it works well for bittorrent.

What would you say is better?

Do you have a few suggestions at different price points?

Thanks!

Edit: It looks like the RT-AC66U has been released and I'm thinking about purchasing that one.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  10. Reith

Reith Registered Member

Don't get the AC66U. I've heard reports on other forums (smallnetbuilders) of several users experiencing firmware issues with the AC66U that haven't been sorted out yet. That, and the fact that there are few consumer devices ready to use the AC spectrum makes it a rather unattractive purchase at this time.

I would strongly recommend the N66U to anyone who's looking for a powerful, reliable router. I got one a couple months ago and it's been great. I used the stock FW for a couple weeks, then went to ASUSwrt-Merlin, then Shibby's TomatoUSB. Runs great on all FWs I've used, but Tomato has the most features by far.

11. od1

od1 Registered Member

Well, I ended up getting the AC66. It's working so far, and I'm running Merlin's build. I have 30 days to return it, but if all goes well I'm inclined to stick with it.

I think at Tiger Direct you can get it for $175 or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.