Best Software for Formatting HDD

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Trooper, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi folks,

I have a few servers and some desktops that I want to ensure are fully formatted/wiped. I've not used any sort of utilities since probably 2005 (which is when I last needed to do this).

Can anyone recommend some products? I've Google'd some things but wanted some input from my long time friends here at Wilders.

Thanks.

2. parsec

parsec Registered Member

/local/galaxy_cluster/milky_way/sol_system/earth
    If you only want to format a particular HDD just use the format option on Windows that's it if you use windows..

If you want to wipe a HDD clean and have sensitive information that needs to be wiped clean without possibility for recovery I would suggest the Internal ATA Secure Erase command -https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase-

Other option is to use DBAN -http://www.dban.org/- which will be a lot slower than the ATA Secure Erase

For individual files there are other shredders... only one I can think of is Eraser which I use.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Some free ones:

1. Partition Wizard Bootable CD
    2. Terabyte's CopyWipe

In many cases a simple "zero write" to all hard drive sectors would be enough.

The hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics usually has a "zero write" option.

For my hard drives, I would do 'at least' a "random pattern" followed by a "zero write".

I would use Terabyte's BootIt Bare Metal (payware) since I already have a license.

4. Trooper

Thanks guys. One of them is an Exchange server that I just decommissioned so yes, looking for secure wipes.

Thanks!

5. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Trooper :)

In addition to the other great choices, I would simply add BOOTICE. It is a compact portable app that is very useful, and will also wipe a drive(s) along with many other useful features, MBR backup, etc., partitions manager, formatting, etc.

I also use Terabyte BIBM which has about everything one would need, but is a paid solution, well worth it though. Partition wizard boot cd is solid, have used it many times, it has some limitations but will easily handle what you are looking to accomplish :)

Have a good day!

Jim

6. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

if u can pay , iobit drive scrubber is excellent choice.. :thumb:

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh noes! You might start another "I don't trust in iObit" thread. :D

8. Trooper

So far I have been unable to get any of these programs to boot from my server. I need to destroy the OS "C" drives.

Any other programs to try? They work fine on PC's, but throw it in any of my servers and they don't work. Changed options in BIOS etc but no go.

Thanks.

9. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

sorry my mistake :D .. its iolo drive scrubber

10. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Jetico BCWipe Total WipeOut is the most complete solution. Other products ignore the Host Protected Area (HPA) and DCO hidden sectors.

http://www.jetico.com/wiping-bcwipe-total-wipe-out/

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  11. tgell

tgell Registered Member

12. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Another consideration that I have found very useful that may be of help to you. :)

Lazesoft Recovery suite home edition-free. It builds its own Winpe bootable media and handles disk wiping, etc. Many useful tools and recovery utilities.

http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-recovery-suite.html

Bootable rescue CD or USB disk.
    Format FAT, NTFS Partition.
    Create, Delete partitions of any type.
    Supports large disks: up to 2TB volumes on MBR.
    Wipe Partitions or disk for data security reason.
    Hide/unhide partition New!
    Set active partition New!

13. Trooper

Only Im not sure if this will work on a server HDD. It also is for home users, and this is work related. :D

Will look into some of the other products you guys have mentioned.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.