Best program for testing software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mike21, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

OK I printed and read the pdf help file of fd-isr and I have a newb question that I couldn't clarify:

When I use data anchoring and three snapshots, the files that I keep adding to the anchored folders (like my documents) are discarded or the folders are updated normally?

Also in RollBack can I exclude some folders from my local disks?

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

MS Virtual PC won't run some brands of Linux on my machine, PCLinuxOS being one of them, and my favorite. Virtualbox, on my computer, handles them all but the Linux versions take up more screen than is offered, meaning switching in and out of VB to scroll up or down.

I can't get VMWare free server edition to read any of my Linux ISO's. I know it's some very simple thing I'm probably missing or not doing, but can't find what it is.

Until I can give Vmware a try, VirtualBox is my favorite, even with the aggravation of swapping the mouse in and out of virtual.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

iirc When you anchor data, it will be available for all your snapshots and it not be discarded (frozen snapshots).

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Anchored folders don't belong to FDISR anymore and they are not included in the snapshots or archives anymore.
    In most cases users anchor the folder "My Documents" because that folder contains all personal data and you have access to your personal data in all your snapshots and your personal files will be updated as normal.

Your personal data will also be updated in case you work with a frozen snapshot. It's not that difficult.
    A frozen snapshot isn't really frozen, you can update a frozen snapshot at any time, it only requires a re-freeze after updating.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi :)

For testing security software, I always use a Virtual Machine, as it is it's primary purpose - testing software. I use FDISR only for testing graphics-demanding apps (I just tried the new version of GoogleEarth in it) because of the video RAM limitations in VMs. I recently tested some Kaspersky-clone AV in FDISR (3.20.202), and it destroyed it - I couldn't switch snapshots from Windows anymore, only from bre-boot :mad: Had to restore my backup, and this is not something I frequently do or like :mad: I have learned my lesson - FDISR for immediate restore, VM for testing software...

Cheers.

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yup, when Raxco sold FD they had an item in their knowledgebase about avoiding some versions of KAV, one of the few programs not compatible with FD.

Acadia

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi Acadia :)

I knew that before I tried the clone, but I thought that it would not happen at that very moment and with that version of clone. It was some chinese AV I installed for that "AV screenshots" sticky, I was so stupid for not installing it in a VM, as I always do. The fix was quick, but I always get aggravated when I have to use backup. I have not done that... well, for a very long time.

I just thought it would be good to mention my mishappen so the OP could keep that in mind when using FDISR for testing... The software is not bulletproof, but then again none is.

Regards

8. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

If you are using VMs, Dan's Archive has a pretty good article on maximizing your VM (smaller, faster, etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.