Best practice for remote accessing a (TrueCrypt) encypted container (on a Raspberry Pi like) server?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Valder, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valder

Valder Registered Member

I hope it is the right place to ask this, since it is not strictly related to TrueCrypt containers or Raspberry Pi home servers, but related.

The situation is that I want to access my files remotely from a home server and in an encrypted container from wherever the world I am, via whatever device I have handy, let it be Windows, Android, iOS, Mac or Linux.

How to proceed?

Edit: I ask this on Wilders because I obviously want a secure solution. So I can log in from anywhere but no intruders should be able to hack into my home network.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, you want to run an OpenVPN or IPsec server. And you want to decrypt and mount the container after connecting, and unmount/encrypt it when you're done. You also need to prevent adversaries from getting at the machine while you're away.

3. Valder

Valder Registered Member

So far so good. Where can I find a step by step guide or an online community which can more specifically help me in setting all this up?

Do you mean physically or virtually?

Thank you.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Just search for "Raspberry Pi OpenVPN server" and you'll find many step-by-step guides. You could also just use ssh, which is much easier to setup. Once you have a working remote-connection setup, you can use command line tools for decrypting/mounting and dismounting/encrypting your TrueCrypt container.
    Both. But I was mostly thinking about physical security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.