Best Partition Software?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Spray-on Dust, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spray-on Dust

Spray-on Dust Registered Member

Hi guys.

I have a 250 gb monster and right now i'm only able to use 130 or so of it due to XP's limitations. (I have an older copy of XP that doesn't come with SP1 or 2)

So I would just like to know what you all think is the cream of the crop when it comes to partitioning. I'll only be using the software for very simple and basic operations such as merging, resizing and creating etc.

Thanks.

Spray-on Dust

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Spray-on Dust, ;)

Partition Magic 8.0 (PowerQuest's Last Version) ... which is still available at some retail stores.

Partition Magic is now the property of Symantec, and new version are sold under their label. I have no idea what the new version(s) are like, but I have/use PowerQuest's Partition Magic 8.0 and it's great. Real newbie friendly, good wizards, nice GUI, and works Great. I haven't ever had any problems using it, it works flawlessly. :)

HTH, ;)

Steve

3. southcat

southcat Registered Member

SPFDisk---- A great partition software, with many feature and safe(before save state, do whatever you want, you can practice how to create partition, adjust the size of partition,...), also provide function of boot partition selection and it is totally free !!!!

However it can work under DOS(not dos prompt) only.

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

SP1 and 2 are free

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

sorry

I use partition magic (the older one) very pleased , however there are some dos tools available like the ubcd boot disc

very handy boot cdrom.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  6. partitionman

partitionman Guest

Gotta agree with Dog here. Partiton Magic 8.0 - if you can find it - has no equal.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Norton Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director Suite...

8. Lou_Dinunzio

Lou_Dinunzio Registered Member

9. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Another vote for Partition Magic 8.0 - if you can find it.

10. Spray-on Dust

I know, but just installing SP1/2 AFTER you've installed windows doesn't "unlock" so to speak, the unused portion of your harddisk like I thought it would. That's why I need a partition suite.

-Spray-on Dust

11. Stro

Stro Registered Member

BootIt contains a partition manager, and also an imaging program and boot manager for $35. It's shareware so you can testing it out for 30 days for free. The tutorials on their website run in Windows Media Player. One of the tutorials on installing BootIt demonstrates partition manipulation so you can see for yourself how the partition part of the software works.

I trialed BootIt for nearly a month on the recommendation of some Wilder's contributors. I've used it to partition my hard drive and make image files. It saved my bacon last night when I simply restored my C: system partition (in 10 minutes) rather than delve into technical troubleshoot to make Norton AntiVirus virus definition downloads work again.

Here's the link if you want a look-see:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Regards,
    Stro

12. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi. I saw on the net that some time ago, Powerquest issued Partition Magic 8.0 Update...

Why was this update needed to Partition Magic 8.0?

Was it critical ? If I still can find Partition Magic 8.0 to buy, should I go for it, or should I only do it if i also can get my hands on Partion Magic 8.0 Update ?

Dunno

Thanks

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

GParted stands for Gnome Partition Editor and is a graphical frontend to libparted. Among other features it supports creating, resizing, moving and copying of partitions.

Anyone using this one?

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

14. spymaker

spymaker Guest

I have to agree with those who use Partiton Magic 8.0 FROM POWERQUEST. Make sure it is not the Symantec version.. I wouldn't install the update if you have at least 8.0 build 1242. You are good to go if you have that. I know people who have found them on ebay, but pay a premium for the POWERQUEST version. I just checked and there a a couple there now. Or, someone sent me an email a couple of weeks ago and said they bought it for only 18 bucks (as a download!) from here:
    http://www.satellite-store.net/p22/Par-2.dwt
    I didn't need it because I already have it and wouldn't use anything else! I kept the email because I have people ask every now and again where they can get it. Hope this helps. Whatever you do, btw, stay AWAY from Symantec's version. Hopelessly full of typical Symantec bloat, licensing and crippled features from the PQ version.

15. Spray-on Dust

Thank you very much, everyone. ;)

Not sure if I want to go through eBay, too much of a hassle for me. But if i'm convinced thourougly enough that the Symantec version is not worth getting at all, then I might have to.

Keep posting your thoughts though...

Thanks.

Spray-on Dust

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have tried several partioning tools, and partition magic 8 by powerquest is by far the best and easiest I have used. and for dual boot the app. boot magic that comes with PM8 really works well

bigc

17. feddup

feddup Registered Member

About a month ago I purchased PM 8.0 (pre symantec) new for $29. I can't remember where but I found it at Yahoo shopping. If the first poster had gotten SP1 (fixed 137 Gb problem) could they delete the partitions and reinitialize the disc. How about a bios upgrade. Just wondering since I've got many drives over 137 GB and they just showed up perfectly. It's sort of off the issue but has anyone used PM 8.0 and True Image at the same time? Two utilities involving the boot sector makes me a little wary. PM is great but so is TI!

18. Burnett

Burnett Guest

Hi
    I use Acronis Partition Suite, very glad with it...

Very easy to use too... And much less expensive than many other partition tools.

19. I find acronis products hit or miss. if you want the best get PartitionMagic 8.0 from powerquest before they were bought out. The version numbers are the same so make sure you get the one by powerquest. Nothing can touch it for stability and reliability. same goes for powerquests last version of drive image, which was 2002 it is far better than the new ghost.

20. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi :)

Yes... BTW, I think the upgrade version was just that: a possibility to upgrade from previous versions of PM to the PM8.0 version, and not a update from PM78.0 to PM8.u

Acronis's Partion Suite allows one to create a bootable cd so as to be able to perform partition operations even in case of system crash or failure.

Just wondering... How about PM? Is it only usable if started from the running OS or is it also possible to create a bootable cd?

Thanks

21. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

I mean ... "and not an update from PM8.0 to PM8.u"

Sorry ;)

22. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I use a package from V-Com containing Partition, Copy and System Commander.
    System Commander and Raxco First Defense are incompatible (MBR issues) but I have only 1 OS and don't need multi-OS booting so I use FD.
    I use Copy Commander regularly, every 2 weeks to backup to an external drive.
    I use Partition Commander infrequently but it works perfectly, for me.
    It's a paid-for package, with paid-for upgrades to Version 9.
    http://www.v-com.com/
    Jim

23. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi
    Geez... Never heard of these before! Thanks for the tip.

24. Cadley RM

Cadley RM Guest

If windows is only reading 130GB of your hard drive you may have to use the big drive enabler to let XP know that you have a bigger hard drive. You need to check in CONTROL PANEL - ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS - COMPUTER MANAGEMENT - on the left hand side double click DISK MANAGEMENT when the new window opens up check it has a lue side of your hard drive (the side you are using ) and a black side. (The unpartitioned side )

If not you need to download the software to allow XP to recognise the whole hard drive.

If it is a maxtor go here

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...tware Downloads/ATA Hard Drives&downloadID=11

Have a search about if its another.

If you have already done this then ignore me, just i haven't seen any posts about this and its the same size my hard drive was limited to.

25. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Try breaking up the big HD into five extended logical partitions and one primary active partition. The overlay software from the HD mfr will usually overcome the 120GB barrier. A big HD used to come with an PCI IDE controller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.