Best IP Blocker?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by CharlyAR, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlyAR

CharlyAR Registered Member

Hi guys,

Would you recommend me some good IP Blocker? I saw that the "leaders" are PeerGuardian and Protowall... I just don't know which can be better, faster, less memory/CPU eater... :)

I used to have Agnitum Outpost with Blockpost plugin, but I got a little hardware firewall, and after more than a month I don't have anything in my logs to show that Outpost can still be necesary so I was thinking of saving some resources...

Thanks!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I dont know if one if better or faster but I prefer PeerGuardian because of how it installs (doesnt install a driver into your NIC like protowall does). Plus it allows you to easily bypass http.

3. CharlyAR

Uhmmm... Exactly why would you say this method may be better?

(sorry if the question is not very polite... english is not my native languaje) :p

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im not saying PeerGuardian's method is better, but when I first tried Protowall I could not install it because of the driver.

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The biggest benefit of a software firewall is the ability to block outgoing traffic from applications not specifically allowed network access. If you find Outpost a problem (and the Outpost CPU FAQ doesn't help) then try another software firewall - or a system firewall offering network access control like System Safety Monitor.

6. CharlyAR

Thanks a lot wsf. I will take a look at the driver and what it does.

BTW... 7800 posts? o_O Wow, I believe than not even in a BBS I had so many posts... :p

7. CharlyAR

Hahaha, you're droopy, everywhere I turn around, you're there! :p

Thanks for your reply.
    For this particular system, I'm not so worried about outgoing connections but incoming. And I could use some extra RAM and CPU, and the license of Outpost in other PC also... :)
    So I don't see any reason to keep Outpost running other than blocking unwanted IPs, so... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.