Best Freeware Personal firewall ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Painkiller, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Painkiller

Painkiller Registered Member

Hi,

I need a small but fast Personal Firewall , small fingerprinting and not much features.

Help

10x Guys

Painkiller

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

What are your needs
    • rule or app based,
    • for what os
    • what is important to you

I'd look at

Jetico - hard to config
    LNS - easy to config - but paid
    Comodo - good but not a fav of mine
    Outpost - paid - turn off plugins and logging

But answer depends on what you want and how you will use it - best is different for different people

3. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Look N Stop (not free)

Kerio 2.1.5

There are others that fit into this category but these are the 2 that I have used, currently using Online Armor + FW (beta), another firewall which DEFINITELY fits this category, except for being free.

As for features, depends on what you are looking for, most firewalls come with some type of feature (antispyware,HIPS) but can be turned off.

L n S and Kerio 2.1.5 are just basic firewalls with out all the bells and whistles of some of the others

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Comodo free or
    Older versions of Zone Alarm 4.5 or 5.5. Can still be found free around the net.
    Currently running ZA free 5.5 on my resource deprived laptop connected via wireless to a LAN. Total mem. usage for two processes loaded by ZA 10,004K with 0 processor load.
    DISCLAIMER;As always, results may\will vary from PC to PC due to different hardware, software configurations.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I tried 1st ZA, even the suite which is great, then Kerio, also good, but there were things that bugged me (i don't remember what, long time).
    Both great but limited free versions, to my knowledge. Now i'm for Comodo all the way! I think it passes all the leaktests, when it didn't they were more than effective updating.
    As for others i don't know.

6. Painkiller

so do you know where i can download the Kerio 2.1.5 ... it's long gone ... but small and fast ...

i dont need application control, only small FW for my work PC ...

i'm using sygate but it's latency is harsh :-( .... does Kerio 2.1.5 is better ?

10x Guys
    Painkiller

7. DarkX

DarkX Registered Member

Hello,
    You can find Kerio 2.1.5 here :)

8. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Just would like to add, if you want to use Kerio 2.1.5 there is some information here at Wilders that was very helpful to me when I first started using the firewall here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=135983&highlight=Kerio 2.1.5 obsolete
    page 3 of this thread has some useful info

Also there is more information and you can start off by using BlitzenZeus rule set here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8023708

I started off with this rule set than adjusted it when I started getting a better understanding of the firewall.

9. Painkiller

10x guys

10. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

How about the newer Sunbelt Kerio firewall? I think it's simple and unbloated.

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Filseclab is another firewall that is free and light.

12. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

I like the Kerio 2.1.6. Nice and light. I learnt a few things about firewalls and the rules involved- that was very rewarding. I use the free SSM with it. Together they are a great combination.

12fw

13. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

and it is as easy to set up comodo

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Kerio 2.1.5 is the firewall I use for outbound alerts as I am behind a Nat Router. I do not claim to know a lot about the packet checks and the rules making in firewalls.

I know this, it alerts me to what program wants out. I can then make the choice to allow or disallow. Kerio is an excellent firewall for this purpose. Becuase it is free and light. It serves it's purpose for me. ;)

Comodo is the next one I would consider. :thumb:

15. farmerlee

I'd have to suggest you get look'n'stop, its very light and very stable. Sure you have to pay for a license but its a one time fee and the license doesn't need renewing.

16. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

I've got to ask the obvious: you recommend L&S -- OK -- but you are using Ghost for your *own* security. As I understand, Ghost is also free, is it not? So if you are using Ghost, why not recommend *it*??

Just curious...

SS

//

17. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Hi everybody,

I need a personal firewall ( Freeware ) which can take care of incoming traffic and which is also light.

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

If that is all you want then all you have to do is activate the firewall built in to windows XP SP2 no need for a third party firewall. you have already paid for it once and wont add anything to your system resource usage as far as I know.

19. Jack_Brody

Jack_Brody Registered Member

20. Jack_Brody

Jack_Brody Registered Member

And its completely free, you may use it even in your company or wherever (use fully finished version 1, version 2 is in development )

21. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

not to nag you guys with Comodo, but the version in that link is very old.
    The current version is 2.3.6.81 . And maybe the same applies to others

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

From this thread, the Kerio firewall was seen to use over 100 MB of memory. That seems to be quite resource intensive, IMHO.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=153176

23. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

One free program is Ghostwall that you can get at ghostsecurity.com

24. farmerlee

Well i was using ghost security's appdefend combined with my hardware firewall while waiting for agnitum to sort out a few problems with outpost. Now that some problems have been fixed i'm back with outpost pro 4.

I didn't mention ghost security suite as its not a firewall. But yes, appdefend combined with ghostwall would be a possible freeware solution. I have never used the freeware version of appdefend so i don't know how effectibe it is.

I use outpost pro 4 on this computer as it is fast enough to handle it. However on my slower computer i use LnS as its stable, secure and very light.

25. jasonago

jasonago Registered Member

Previously I used Zonealarm Free and it works just fine. But the main problem with it is that it is resources and memory intensive. It can really slow down your PC a bit.

Now I am using Ghostwall and it is really as wonderful piece of software. It is very compact and it has better "Out-of-the-box" performance compared to other free firewalls. If your computer has no special requirements for surfing the net, the only config that you may add is the Port 0-1 block rule. BUT this firewall is not an HIPS and doesn't detect applications network activities. You can use Appdefend for that BUT you may just have a good antivirus for the detection of such malicious programs...Avira free will do...

Oh by the way, Avira's firewall is also good but not free...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.