best free email service privacy wise

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by guest, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Just wondering what's the best free service privacy wise.

2. guest

guest Guest

come on someone has to have an idea?

3. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

I would recommend this one: vmail.me :thumb:

4. guest

guest Guest

I've heard people say GMX.com but aren't they German?
    Wouldn't that be a concern?

Also what about Zoho?

5. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

This thread may help

Though I use gmail for personal use. Right now gmail offers excellent protection maybe not from themselves or governments though from malicious users/hackers/spam. They have the backbone and resources to provide OTP 2 factor, and other checks that assure me my email is safe. The one thing I do advise however if you do use webmail services located in the U.S to make sure you purge your inbox of any email older than 5 months. As the law stands now, authorities may obtain cloud e-mail (webmail) without a warrant if it is older than 180 days through a simple request to the hosting provider.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  6. guest

guest Guest

Oh thanks, Totally missed that thread was searching for email not webmail.

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

privatdemail or Riseup.net would be my picks. Both can used with Thunderbird.

PD

8. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

I've used GMX before, had no problems with it but was through a mail client. I know a handfull of people who use it regularly and the only complaint I heard was that one person was locked out of their account for a day. If you've got a gmx.com, your stuff is likely stored on US servers but there are .de and and other domains.

Zoho is real nice if you use them as webmail cause there's no ip addresses in the headers.

9. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

i too use riseup , have yet to see another email provider that beats it , of course id love more inbox space and a higher attachment limit

not to mention offshore servers ;)

10. Countermail

Countermail Registered Member

I thought Riseup was located in USA? If so, they may be forced to log IP or "hand over" unencrypted emails.

So if you already accepted the privacy level that US-based companies can give you, Gmail is better. Gmail + ThunderBird + EnigMail is probably the best free US-based solution.

11. marktor

marktor Registered Member

12. happyyarou666

so what now , am i supposed to go and search for another alternative? than riseup? now im confused , and gmail? are you serious ? -.-', atleast riseup got an outstanding privacy policy

p.s: vmail stores logs for 3 months fyi

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  13. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Yes rise up is based in the USA

14. Countermail

I proposed PGP-encrypted Gmail. The privacy policy is not that important if a service is operating in countries like USA, UK, Canada, France etc. The laws in these countries are not "privacy friendly", regardless what the privacy policy says, the company still have to follow the law. Anyone with knowledge in privacy/security knows about this :ninja:

So if you don't need high privacy/anonymity you can select the provider with most features and storage, like Gmail, and add PGP to achieve decent security.

You will never find a free offshore, anonymous & encrypted email service, it's not possible to run such business for free. The same applies to good and fast VPN services.

15. happyyarou666

so you say gmail is better than riseup?

16. Countermail

(is my english that bad :rolleyes: ?) I said: I think Gmail + PGP is the best free U.S-based solution, because you get more features and storage. But you can never get the highest level of privacy from any provider based in USA.

17. happyyarou666

but google is like the worst choice you could pick 1gb space or not , then id rather go with riseup ,US vs US, riseup wins not in space but in policys atleast, thou yes we need offshore we all know that but difficult to find ;) , anyhow , anyone got any offshore email providers to suggest then ? so i can move from riseup to something offshore

p.s: all of da sudden vmail is starting to look like a viable solution afterall , if it just werent for em damned logs they keep 3 months -.-'

18. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

How does vmail earns money?

And if you move offshore, wouldn't you need to talk with people, who have offshore mail provider, to keep your privacy?

19. happyyarou666

how does vmail earns money? i have no fudgin clue , maybe by selling you out? xD, seriously you tell me , why have you talked to them?

20. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

Anyone mentioned Safe-mail .net As I only use POP, the free account limit suits me.

21. happyyarou666

in terms of non pop thou ,3mb what is that like 1 email? lols xD

p.s: where they located?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  22. box750

box750 Registered Member

Riseup is not a "free email service", you don't get an account easily. You have to request the account, and might get it or might not, the decision to grant the account is up to them to decide, Riseup might terminate your account if later on they discover your political affiliation is not of their liking. I think that their FAQ also makes clear that they are not a "free email service" but I can't find where it is written right now.

Riseup is an email service for left leaning activists funded through donations, not the same as a "free email service" like Gmail or whatever.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  23. happyyarou666

thanks for clearing that up , i didnt see the need to explain that since theyre tos explains it all , and if you give them a regular reason then it shouldnt be too difficult to get one ;) , you may donate if you wish , and lots do so since theyre happy with it , and that kinda gives me a positive feeling about it and sense of security tbh ;)

24. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I would purchase Countermail in a heartbeat if they had a 'Smart Host' for SMTP ...but we've already been in contact about that :D

Riseup is US based, and the poster above describes it pretty well. IMO, I trust them more than any other US provider...we still have rebels that fight the power here (But they aren't 'freemail').

Safe-mail has been tied to Israel. If true, an account from the land of NARUS InSight doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. All speculation on my part (and from alt.privacy.anon-server).

On the flip side, privatdemail sends out of an Arab country...so no email to Israel, LOL.

Pre-send encryption is a given, but Google and MS can take a flying leap AFAIC...they'd probably rat you out when their auto ad scanners can't read the traffic :D Again, speculation on my part.

Countermail: PLEASE set up something for those of us that run our own email servers from home! My wallet needs emptying!

PD

25. happyyarou666

lols i can give you my account nr. if you got too much ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.