Best FREE AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jaxson, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blah

blah Guest

i couldn't resist...
    100th post!!!

2. sig

sig Registered Member

Ah, thanks for the info, dqa. I wasn't sure about Antivir.

At any rate, debate aside, I do think companies should be commended for providing a free version of their software. IMO no AV (pay or free) should be considered a replacement for safe computing practices, since new things come out everyday and it only takes a couple mouseclicks to be bitten by some of the really nasty stuff out there if a definition isn't available or heuristics isn't enough.

Of course, if one has other people or family using the computer, then the task is a bit more difficult to secure one's PC against user activities. Then I would probably load up on security stuff and place more restrictions on what other users could do.

Right now I suspect the biggest threat to my PC is the user. ;)

3. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Dqa, I would to say that if you pay for an av, more or less it get updated weekly (if I'm wrong please point it out, not counting the ones that offer free versions :)). Avg has and does go weeks without updating ( even their pay version don't offer updates a week) Know the track record on some of the free AV why would you not believe you get what you pay for. If you look at message board (not just this one) you see people complaining about free stuff all the time. Most of the pay versions of program come with good support. But sometime free doesn't mean it's a bad program. Look at Eraser and Spybot S&D. they bot are free and are good programs. But as for free AV's most of them have a really bad track record. Read the reports about them. But to each his (or hers) own. If you're happy with a free AV so be it.

Sig, well said.

4. dqa

dqa Registered Member

Notageek,

Hi, fair points. I would say this:
    The only reason for a degree of healthy skepticism about 'getting what you pay for' is that naturally the profit motive has been known to lead people to make less than wholly honest statements... :D

With regard to Antivir PE, fyi, during the recent spate of new viruses we were getting *daily* updates, and as the user community over there we largely provide our own support- and it's good, really. Average AVPE update these days is about twice a week.

best wishes and each to their own,

Chris H.

;)

5. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

And I guess thats about the size of it, lets be happy with what we have and mix common sense with knowledge and we'll all be alot safer. ;)

6. Wildman

Wildman Guest

:D My last post on this subject. Buyer beware!

Thanks (Danke)

Wildman :p :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.